PDA

View Full Version : How many people are actually USMS members?

mattson
September 24th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I was just curious. I noticed that quite a few posts are from people in the UK, Canada (which is outside the US, technically ;) ), or high school swimmers.

Are people posting here because discussion boards are not available elsewhere? (I haven't looked.) Or is the information quality higher here?

sparx35
September 24th, 2003, 06:13 PM
i tried the british amatuer swimming online site and only info available was uk record times.So being inquisitive i set out a search on aol search engine to find any info and here i am .I've learned a lot from this site in only a few days too .:cool:

laineybug
September 24th, 2003, 06:51 PM
I'm glad you brought up this subject. Can you join USMS, but not belong to a USMS Swim Club? How?

jennyfer80
September 24th, 2003, 08:32 PM
i'm not a member yet. i definetly plan on joing, but not until i am ready for meets, probably early next year. i have questions though :)
1. can you swim in meets outside of your zone? like if i become a member of north carolina ms which is in the dixie zone, can i swim in meets in virginia? can i enter in meets by myself? should i just join virginia ms? (there are no teams i want to join in my area)
2. how do you qualify for national meets? do the times have to be swam in that season?

thats all the questions for now. i'm sure i'll have more later.....

thanks!

cinc3100
September 24th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Yes, you can join unattached. You have to register thru your LSMC. Look it up on the computer. Many of them combine different states. Mine was just one state Arizona.

KenChertoff
September 24th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by jennyfer80
i'm not a member yet. i definetly plan on joing, but not until i am ready for meets, probably early next year. i have questions though :)
1. can you swim in meets outside of your zone? like if i become a member of north carolina ms which is in the dixie zone, can i swim in meets in virginia? can i enter in meets by myself? should i just join virginia ms? (there are no teams i want to join in my area)
2. how do you qualify for national meets? do the times have to be swam in that season?

thats all the questions for now. i'm sure i'll have more later.....

thanks!

First of all, most Masters swimmers rarely or never enter meets, so you don't have to be "ready" to compete to join USMS. But there really is no such thing, anyway. Swimmers at meets are all levels of ability and the competition is very low key -- there's no reason to be afraid that you're not ready or not competitive.

But to answer the specific questions:

1. Yes, you can enter meets outside your zone (anywhere in the country, in fact) and you can enter by yourself -- you can always register "unattached" (even if you are on a team, usually you would send the entry yourself).

2. You don't actually have to meet any qualifying times to enter Nationals. Any swimmer can enter up to three events, without meeting qualifying times. If you want enter more than three though (up to six), you have to meet qualifying times within the preceding year.

mark_varney47
September 25th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Hi ,
I am from just outside London,UK.The reason that I use this site is purely and simply that it is far superior than anything we have here.I am sure that there are plenty of other UK swimmers that out of frustration have turned to this site.I can honestly say that I have learnt a lot of things that I would never have known if I had stuck to UK sites.It seems that on this site everybody is willing to help others in improving their swimming.This contrasts with the UK.I have found that in the UK if you are not an elite swimmer then coaches tend not be that interested in helping you improve.I just wished that I lived in the US so that I could swim at some of those wonderful outdoor locations while the sun was rising/setting etc. rather than in my claustraphobic local pool.:cool:

Gareth Eckley
September 25th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Mattson

[ Are people posting here because discussion boards are not available elsewhere? (I haven't looked.) Or is the information quality higher here? ]

The answer is that the quality of discussion is far higher here than in the UK. There is a forum in the UK but i have found that there are a number of problems with it.

1 - The 4 moderators are also the main contributors, with over a 1000 posts each. This causes problems as it is really a cosy little club for their views. They also tend to "gang up" and dismiss other viewpoints to their own.

2 - Most posts are 1 line put downs of the
views of others. There is no interest in really discussing the issues or getting into detail.

3 - In common with the rest of swimming in the UK, which is just coming out of the dark ages of ignoring the importance of technique for the last 20 years ( breaststroke excepted ). There is little understanding or interest in latest technique developments or training improvements on the UK forum.

4 - Here I feel like I am a dentist trying to convince the UK of the importance of dental hygiene and correcting crooked teeth! In short it is an uphill battle here, getting the swim community up to date !

I have learnt so much in my last 6 months of joining this forum. I am aware that I am very much a guest, being from outside the US and I do not want to abuse that privilige.

mattson
September 25th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Gareth Eckley
I have learnt so much in my last 6 months of joining this forum. I am aware that I am very much a guest, being from outside the US and I do not want to abuse that privilige.

Howdy Gareth! When I posted originally, I was doing my best to make sure this wasn't a "U.S. versus them" sort of issue. It struck me that this board, although hosted by USMS, was a valuable resource for the *entire* swimming community. I was curious if other people felt that way; it seems so. (I was also fishing for swimming resources that I may have overlooked... :cool: )

And considering the interesting discussions that you have started (Michael Phelps article, and too hot pool temperature pop to mind), somehow "(abusing) the privilge" doesn't come to mind. :)

Peter Cruise
September 26th, 2003, 12:23 AM
I use this facility 'cause it is the best in the swimming world at mixing content with genuine disagreements with a little humour (our spelling) besides. I believe that since '85 I have competed in as many USNats as CanNats & have made many friends on your side (esp. PNA & Oregon). Celebrate the differences!

swimrat
September 26th, 2003, 05:04 PM
I was on a swim team in Sigonella when I was stationed there in the Navy. And we were able to actually swim with the Italians in meets all through Italy as long as we were affiliated with a group. So we all signed up with USMS and it made it real easy. Even won some awards. I wasn't part of the awards cause I was 22 at the time and their age groups started at 25. It was a real good time though.

Kelli,

cinc3100
September 29th, 2003, 01:29 AM
I feel the US emphasizes Freestyle,toomuch-just joking. I'm a breaststroker and its nice to hear about breaststroke being more valued in Europe. That's why the US has never dominated the breast events like they have freestyle. My first coach had a little swim school and she was a top breaststroker during the 1940's from the Netherlands and taught me the glide for breast kick. If I started on the second team I join I might have not been as good at breaststroke and might have quit swimming earlier since I wasn't a natural freestyler.

MPohlmann
October 8th, 2003, 01:14 PM
This is an interesting discussion about use of the USMS website and how valuable it may be to non-USMS members, especially those outside the US.

An item that received little discussion at the USMS convention, but was passed by the Coaching Committee and the House of Delegates was to restrict the Workouts Forums to USMS members only. I don't know when or how that will come about, but I can see that this might not be fair to our non-US forum fans.

Cherie
October 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM
I haven't joined yet because I feel that I haven't gotten to the "level" of practice that Masters teams in my area practice at. I have JUST started swimming again after being out of the pool for 10 years. I think that once I get to the level where I can do a 4000 yard practice I'll join.

Cherie

eliana2003
October 10th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Hey- congrat.s on getting back to the pool! IMHO, you don't have to wait till you get to 4000m to join a Ma. team- I joined when I was doing around 2000 m, and it took me 3.5 months to get up to 3500-4000 m practices. As someone else on this forum once said, 'joining is the hardest part'- let the coach take it from there!

peace...

Conniekat8
October 10th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Cherie!

Join, and join NOW!
I contemplated for couple years before joining, and the only thing I regret now, is tahat I haven't joined 2 years ago, when I first thought of it.

You don't need to do 4000 to join.
Our team has varied workouts, starting with 1500... up to some people doing double 3000 y workouts.

There is a huge difference between swimming alone, and swimming on a masters team. Swimming with a team is at least 10 time better and more fun, and in my case, I progress much much faster on a team then alone.

Don't be intimidated by the few on the team that are at the top level. You'll find that there are a lot more people close to your level then there are at the top.

cinc3100
October 11th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Masters is cool. I encouraged anyone out there to join. I swim a few meets as an middle age woman and its fun. As a kid it was kind of my dad's idea to start novice and summer swimming at age 12 years old.

snorkel
October 28th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Yes, I too waited before joining and now I kick myself for it. A friend told me about Masters because I was complaining about the Gym. The last swim meet I had been in was 18 years ago so I was worried, like you Cherie, that I wasn't prepared. When I finally did join all of the worry disappeared after one practice. Now, two years later I can't get enough. I was recently elected to our team's board and I encourage anyone thinking of joining to do so and not worry about their swimming "level." Join the Fun!

gwen
January 25th, 2004, 07:44 PM
This is my first time posting a message.

My question is: When compluting swim spit times for indoor triathlons, when does the clock stop?

1. When the participants feet hit the deck of the pool as they get out?
2. When the particpant touches the wall with fingers at the end of the swim?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gwen

sparx35
February 26th, 2004, 06:27 PM
this is a really friendly site with more info than u can shake a stick at!!!!!if you have any...and i mean any question no matter how small...how insignificant u may think it is..jus post it..you will be that particul;ar items expert after the response...thanx USMS for an advancement in human technology..also thanks to all on here for honest truthful answers..

sunwater
March 1st, 2004, 02:19 PM
I, like a few others I've seen replying to this post, have recently started back in the pool. I swam on a team for ~7 years, quit to take to land and run. I'm currently in the buildup for my first full marathon (I've run ~8 halves) and started having some foot problems. I decided to back down on my miles and get my rear back in the pool. And I realized how much I've missed it and how much I love swimming.

However, that did not answer your question....:p

the answer is, I'm not a member, and I don't plan on joining for awhile, because I am simply not good enough yet. I'm working on my mileage :confused: , yardage? and then possibly join later. I enjoy reading here to get information in what seems to be a supportive network.

Thanks!

mattson
March 1st, 2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sunwater
the answer is, I'm not a member, and I don't plan on joining for awhile, because I am simply not good enough yet.

What? Check some of the other recent threads; you are good enough right now. USMS is about having a healthy adult aquatic lifestyle. You can do that, you can join USMS. :D

If you mean that you do not intend to join a team, swim a meet or other USMS competition, then okay. But don't get caught up in "being the best", just use USMS to be the best you can be. :cool: Joining a team will provide the support net in order to improve your swimming, whether for exercise or speed.

SWinkleblech
March 24th, 2004, 09:50 PM
I am going to agree with the above. You don't have to be swimming 4000 yds in a practice to join and swim in meets. I only swim 2000- 2700 in a practice. I am not a fast swimmer at all. I have found masters to be a great experience. You meet a lot of great people who are willing to help and encourage you no matter what team you are on or who you are. The sportsmenship in masters is just awesome. I could never imagine not being a part of a masters team. I find it a great motivator to get out there and swim. Its to easy to use excuses to skip out on workouts, but if you know you have a meet to work for you go and do it.

swimr4life
March 25th, 2004, 08:50 AM
I LOVE MY MASTERS TEAM! It is sooo much more fun to swim with my teammates than to try to workout on my own! I'm able to challenge myself much more in workouts. Meets are a blast! We encourage and support each other in and out of the pool!

Mark in MD
March 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM
On the old Forums, Matt S wrote an excellent thread about everyone being "good enough" for USMS. Perhaps our respected webmaster could delve into his deep depths and find it or maybe Matt could conjure up his memory and repost it. It was worth reading.

Maryyyyyy
April 26th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hi! I'm originally from Berkeley California where I swam competively from jr high thru UCB.

I've been living in Italy for 20 years, I'm a happy masters swimmer with a team in Florence, Italy, Nuoto Club Firenze (http://www.nuotoclubfirenze.org/master.php) . We're a fantastic team of over 150 athletes.

The Masters movement is live and kicking here in Italy, and we often have several meets each weekend in various locations of the peninsula, with 600-800 participants.

We also have an extremely lively forum QuelliCheilNuoto (http://mail.nuoto.it/~forumnew/index.php?showforum=7) where we tend to get a little rowdy, but also talk about serious swim stuff.

I come and read this forum to read about swimming in English, to check out the competition ;) for the upcoming World Championships, get training tips, and just plain stay in touch!

Ciao from Florence!
Mary

AnnG
June 4th, 2004, 03:00 AM
I think the stats are that only one third of the USMS members actually compete in events - that's a lot of people who join just for the shared practices and access to a coach. For those waiting to be fully prepared - stop waiting! Jump in there - the journey IS the destination. Masters swimming is about whatever goals you want to make for yourself. I have found I very much need solid training goals and affiliation with a team to get the most out of my swimming, other people are happy with different aspects of masters.

dreamer
July 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM
howdy! I am not a USMS swimmer YET. I am looking for a team here in NYC to join. I would rather join a team and have someone watch my technique and such, instead of training alone. I am a competitive person and love to race, so swimming against others is always fun. Plus its a great social activity.:)

Sonic Swimmer78
July 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM
I've read several posts here about several USMS members who hesitated to join, and I'm no exception. I discovered USMS in early May and mustered enough courage to call my LMSC for information about joining.

After receiving a membership application via E-Mail, I didn't hesitate to fill out the form... However, I hesitated to send it right away, since I was afraid of entering an organization full of die-hard competitive swimmers who have been competing all their lives. Needless to say, my LMSC's Registrar and Team Coach told me that as long as I knew how to swim (Since age 3; now I'm 25) that anyone is eligible to join USMS (no matter what level you're in) either unattatched or in my LMSC's team.

On June 20, I joined my LMSC and have been receiving weekly e-newsletters about updates, workout times and upcoming meets.

Although I'm still relatively new to Masters, I'm looking forward to making new friendships and competing in my first meet.

Guvnah
July 12th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Member (Colorado). Unattached.

re: Good enough? That's what my wife used to say until she accompanied me at a meet and saw people of all shapes and sizes and ages -- even a blind guy -- swimming in events. All swam with gusto and with pride and with support from everyone there.

Look up a meet in your area. Sit in the stands and just watch. After 2 or 3 events and after you've seen a 200-pound 60-year-old lady in a frilly beach suit get out of the pool beaming with pride and a sense of accomplishment after completing a 100-yd backstroke in 4:55 and her friend greets her at the ladder with a towel and a big hug of congratulations, you'll know you can do it too!

Your participation is about you and achieving your personal goals on the road to better fitness. Hiding your success in your own bubble limits your potential. Once you attend a meet and realize what you actually CAN do, you will be motivated to reach further. There are few things as sweet as beating your goals. And with swimming it is easy to measure growth (in time, and in distance, for example.) With so many different events, strokes and distances at meets, there are countless ways to accumulate little successes.

Just my 2 cents.

Sonic Swimmer78
July 14th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
Member (Colorado). Unattached.

re: Good enough? That's what my wife used to say until she accompanied me at a meet and saw people of all shapes and sizes and ages -- even a blind guy -- swimming in events. All swam with gusto and with pride and with support from everyone there.

Wow, a blind guy?? I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only visiually impaired Masters Swimmer out there! It comes to show that Masters Swimming welcomes all types.

I'm proud to be a Masters Swimmer!!

DAP
March 1st, 2005, 12:57 AM
I'm currently not a USMS member. About 4 months ago, I could barely swim at all. I decided to take some classes offered by a local Masters club, and now I can swim better than I ever have in my life. I think I will eventually join that Masters club, once my work schedule cools off a little, maybe in a month or two.

Just this past Saturday, I went to watch a Masters swim meet for the first time. Previously, I had only attended college swim meets. I was surprised by the wide variety of swimmers at the Masters meet. There were the people that were so fast that it was intimidating. I don't know if I would ever be able to reach that level. But there were also people who were competing just to finish. The biggest crowd applause was for the people in their 70's and 80's when they arrived at the finish. I saw a guy in his 80's who walked with a cane and had to be helped up on the block, but he dove right in and swam a complete race.

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 1st, 2005, 12:41 PM
What is so great about USMS is that any one can join. I have always swam but it was aside to running. I had several operations & can't run anymore. USMS has given me a great way to reconnect with competive swimmign & with ohters who swim becasue they love it.

Freestyle is emphasized inthe US so much because it is the first stroke taught. In other parts of the world that isn't so. In Japan, most learn breast first.

RiverGirl
March 2nd, 2005, 01:22 AM
I mailed in my application about 2-1/2 weeks ago. Haven't received anything yet, but I guess it probably takes a few weeks. Don't know if I will enter any meets or not, but I'm looking forward to the magazine. Also, after reading about it here, maybe I will go by a Masters meet sometime just to see what it's like - then decide if I want to try it the next time.

swimmieAvsFan
March 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
member (Delaware Valley) Big Cat Masters

(we're affliated with the age group team that is sponsored (for lack of a better word) by penn state university.)

i absolutely love masters swimming! joining the team after having swam collegiately and then playing water polo for PSU made me realize that i've always been (and will always be) a swimmer. i just made a little trek into another part of the aquatic world... i like the fact that you can take it as seriously as you want and no one makes fun of you either way- i train a minimum of 5 days a week, but the people who only swim once a week (or once every 2 weeks!) don't say anything about my nearly obsessive relationship with the pool! ;)