PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water - warm up?

Indianaman79
May 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I am looking for some advice here. I am going to do a long distance race towards the end of the summer. However, I am getting worried about what the water temperature will be ( I am guessing between 74-64 degrees). If it is too cold, should I skip a water warm up and do a land warm up? Or should I just hop in and do a few hundred and get out and get warm. any advice would be appreciated.

chaos
May 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
how long do you expect the race to take?
don't leave it to chance on race day. do a few trial runs in similar conditions.

sbegonia
May 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM
check out this Q&A w/ Gerry Rodrigues
http://10kswim.blogspot.com/2009/04/warming-up-for-open-water-races.html

kgernert
May 7th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I am looking for some advice here. I am going to do a long distance race towards the end of the summer. However, I am getting worried about what the water temperature will be ( I am guessing between 74-64 degrees). If it is too cold, should I skip a water warm up and do a land warm up? Or should I just hop in and do a few hundred and get out and get warm. any advice would be appreciated.

Since you live in Indiana, you might want to check out the USMS Open Water Clinic ( http://www.grinswim.org/swimclinic/ ) being held in Noblesville on Sunday, June 12. It's meant for both novice and experienced open water swimmers and is being headed up by Mallory Mead.

As I'm not an open water swimmer (I don't like the idea of things nibbling at my feet), I'm not the one with the answers.... but the clinic might be great for you!

Good luck!

ourswimmer
May 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I think the air temperature and wind speed are at least as important as the water temperature. Unless the weather is warm, and still, you are very likely to get even colder after you get out and wait for the race to start than you were before you got in, which will turn your "warm up" into a "chill out."

Most of the OW races I do are in water between 64F and 72F and I hardly ever "warm up" in the water beforehand, except maybe for a few minutes right before an in-water start. I prefer a dryland warmup, and I usually keep my jacket and hat and shoes on until the very last minute.

Consider your overall goals, too. Is this "long distance race" so long that just finishing is a good goal for you? In that case, start slow, and use the first portion to warm up. Alternatively, are you aiming to win this race, so that you need to start out fast and stay with the lead pack? If so, you will need to be ready to sprint as soon as you hear the horn, which means you will need to have warmed up in some effective way.

Chaos is right: trial and error is the best way to find out what will work for you, and if possible you should try, and err, several times in practice before getting to your goal event.