PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley open water swim at Lake Hartwell

mcountryman
May 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Is anyone from the Atlanta area planning on going to the open water swim in Lake Hartwell/Clemson on June 11th?

June 11: Death Valley Open Water Swim Meet. Lake Hartwell/Clemson SC. Information & entry (http://www.dixiezone.org/Meets/1106deathvalley.pdf).

Lump
May 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm doing the River Rat race in Chattanooga instead.

mcountryman
May 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
That looks like fun too, but I want to see how I do with a 5k before I try a longer swim, especially in a river. Maybe next year.

hnatkin
May 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Marianne, sometimes the river race is actually faster. Depends on the current assist, which varies from year to year. The river race was lots of fun when I did it 2 years ago, in a little over an hour if that (big current assist) and the water temp was ideal. I have friends who do Lake Hartwell, too, and while they are quite dedicated to the event, I always hear that the water is warm and quite polluted from the motor boats. But I will be out of town, so can't do either this year. I'll be in Athens the weekend before, though. Have fun!

Lump
May 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
That looks like fun too, but I want to see how I do with a 5k before I try a longer swim, especially in a river. Maybe next year.

What Heidi said....they end up being about the same time wise. I don't particularly like lake swims....mostly due to temps. Current assist is aways nice. If its your first OW I'd recommend doing a NON-current assist swim first, otherwise you'll get spoiled.:D

mcountryman
May 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I did two last year. I swam the 1k @ Lake Acworth (low key), and a 2.5K in Lake Michigan in Sept. That was an eye opening experience. The water was cold (62) and there were 2 ft. swells. I was totally unprepared both physically and mentally. I froze my a$$ off, but finished. I plan on going back this year to swim the 5K with my brother (sibling rivalry).

I think that the unpreditability of the conditions is the main thing attracting me to the open water. I had fun on both swims even though the conditions were challenging.

I'll plan on sticking with the lake swim and see how that goes. Jeff...have fun on your swim, and I'll see you both at Athens!