PDA

View Full Version : Help me get back in shape!

EJB190
May 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm looking for a swim plan to get me back in shape. I've been so busy with school since september that I've really let myself slide. Seriously, I've only legitimately swam 10 times since last summer.

Now that summer is here again I'm looking to get back into shape and swim 5-6 days a week. I've never been this out of shape in my life and I really need some structure and guidance to pull me out of this hole.

If anyone has any suggestions for a swim/workout set to get me back on track I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Bobinator
May 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Advance to the forum jump at the bottom of this page. Scroll to the workout section; you will find fantastic workouts from 7 or 8 coaches on a weekly basis. Just print 'em out, get yourself to the pool, and enjoy!!!!!!!!! :banana:

geochuck
May 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Set your goals and follow through with it. Swim your 5 to 6 days and don't procastinate. It is so easy to put off today and say I will do it tomorrow. There is no magic workout you must just do the work.

I'm looking for a swim plan to get me back in shape. I've been so busy with school since september that I've really let myself slide. Seriously, I've only legitimately swam 10 times since last summer.

Now that summer is here again I'm looking to get back into shape and swim 5-6 days a week. I've never been this out of shape in my life and I really need some structure and guidance to pull me out of this hole.

If anyone has any suggestions for a swim/workout set to get me back on track I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

orca1946
May 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Can you find a team or open water group to swim with?

ande
May 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
hi Eric,

you didn't provide us with much info about yourself, consider telling us more.
Here's a thread that covers some of the same territory

my initial suggestions for you are to:

1) browse the blogs (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php) & find a few to follow

2) Read Swim Faster Faster
pick a few tips and apply them to your training SFF Index

Keep us posted, Good Luck,

Ande

EJB190
May 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My biggest problem is not figuring out work outs when I am in relatively good shape. It's getting in shape and building my distance and endurance.

About me:
I'm 20 years old, and will be a junior in college in the fall. I've moved since graduating high school. In short, I don't have a good swim buddy at the moment and I wish I did. I'd like to join a team but I don't know if I can commit the time because of my work and traveling.

I started competitive swimming when I was 6-7 years old. I've swam for a number of private teams over the years, took a break during middle school, and started back up in prep school.

Some of my times back in glory days
- 50 Free - 23.4
- 100 Free - 53.3
- 100 Back - 59.8
- 500 Free - 5:34 (?)
- 200 IM - 2:29 (?)

I love sprints, but looking back have a respect for the 500 and probably could improve the time I have. I do decent in IM's because my free and back make up for my weak breaststroke haha. I'm pretty decent at fly but have try to keep it to a minimum to avoid straining my lower back (lacrosse injury caused some nerve damage).

What I am looking for is like a 2 week plan to get me in shape. By "inshape" I'd like to be doing 3000+ yards confidently. I know this is not an impossible goal by any means but being so far out of shape and so far out of touch with the water will take some extra effort. From there I can increase my technique and distances.