PDA

View Full Version : Tom Ellison--RIP

old dog
May 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Tom Ellison -- R.I.P.
-Our Friend and USMS member Thomas P. Ellison died tragically Tuesday, May 17, 2011, of a brain injury. He was 60.
-Tom, aka Mr. Moose, Ralph, Rocky Walker, and Stillhere, was a frequent contributor on this forum. Tom swam for years with the North Texas [Dallas/Ft Worth] group and was a Top - 10 ranked long distance racer during the late 1990's.
-Tom was very proud of his service in the Marine Corps.
-At age 25, he was severely injured. Tom spent many months in the hospital recovering, but those injuries continued to affect him for the rest of his life. Despite this, his fierce competitive spirit led him to success in USMS as well as the Alcatraz and Golden Gate swims in San Francisco.
-Tom later married and raised a family in NC, FL, and TX. He worked in the airline industries for many years.
-Tom's sense of humor and irony never failed. He was a gentleman who treated all with respect. He leaves behind three children and many friends.

aquageek
May 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Very sad news. Tom was a faithful poster for a long time here. I enjoyed bantering with him.

knelson
May 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Terrible news. Rest in peace, Tom!

jim clemmons
May 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Our prayers and condolences to the Ellison family.

Frank Thompson
May 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Our prayers and condolences to the Ellison family.

My thoughts as well. I know he went through troubled times and died a very suffering death. We do have the memories of the past that we can appreciate of Tom before his troubled times.

http://www.hamiltoncountyexpress.com/News/08182010-kymancharged

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2011/May/19/FCF_inmate_death-19May11.html

Peter Cruise
May 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Very sad news.

gull
May 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Back when I first joined the forum in 2003 Tom defended me against some of the more scurrilous posters of that era like Aquageek. Sorry to hear of his misfortunes and of his untimely death.

lefty
May 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Tom was very proud of being a Marine. Head injuries never go away and Tom suffered greatly, perhaps even gave his life 35 years later, because of his service. I must confess, I thought Tom was just a jerk. I realize now that I was missing part of the picture.

So Tom, whatever mundane grievance we had, I apologize. You were a hero, brother!

To Tom's victim, I am also sorry. I hope that you can find true peace.

tjburk
May 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Wow, this does not come as a shock though...through my few years I have been on here, I kind of formed a pretty good friendship with Tom. Sad to hear of his passing...I know he was dealing with a lot of physical issues. May he rest in peace...he will be missed.

swimshark
May 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
RIP Tom.

swimr4life
May 20th, 2011, 07:37 PM
This news comes as such a shock. I've not been on the forums in so long. Tom was always such a gentleman and often defended me during the flame wars a few yearss ago. He had so many struggles...we talked a lot about life and the challenges he faced. I'm so sad I lost contact with him. It just goes to show you that life is fragile and we have to cherish every moment. Rest in peace Tom. You are finally out of pain. I'll miss you my friend.

swim53
May 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM
I remember Tom and his postings. I really admired him with all he went through. Thanks for letting us know.

Karlene
May 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Tom and I swam many meets together in Texas during the 90's. He was the consummate competitor. Even though he suffered the after effects of a crushed pelvis, he could really put the hammer down on distance swims. He had a great sense of humor and was a real gentleman. RIP, Tom.

nkfrench
May 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Tom was on my Masters team a while in FW when his son was swimming with our seniors USAS group.
Despite all the turmoil in his life, Tom was so proud of his son's accomplishments both in swimming and in school.

Matt, I hope you and your family find peace.