PDA

View Full Version : How much have you benefited from dryland training?

androvski
May 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Inspired by Jazz's fantastic thread, I thought I'd bring up this discussion.

I started a dryland program a few weeks ago (based on Complete Conditioning for Swimming (http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/complete-conditioning-for-swimming) which I highly recommend with a few modifications). I incorporated strength training with elastic tubing (mostly for swimming specific exercises) and regular weights, core strengthening exercises (mostly static work, stuff like planks and bridges) and stretching in these sessions.

Although I've only been doing these sessions for a short amount of time, I feel I've benefited greatly from them. I feel much stronger in the water. Pull-ups had a huge effect on my butterfly: my endurance levels went through the roof and my stroke also feels much powerful. In fact, I dropped nearly 6 seconds in the 100 butterfly without practicing the stroke much at all (went 1:05 SCM). My breaststroke also feels better, even though I haven't been working my legs as much as I would like due to injury.

In the future, I hope to include plyometrics and other exercises specific for power.

What about you? How have you benefited from your dryland sessions? What type of training do you do? How long did it take you to feel the effects of this type of training?

Cheers! :chug:

Jazz Hands
May 21st, 2011, 04:14 PM
There was a period of about a year when I barely swam at all, but I got much stronger. In that time, my 50 free dropped by about a full second. I was very very skeptical of any kind of non-pool training before that. Now I'm not skeptical :)

Luca
May 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Lifting weights doesn't seem to affect my times for now. What I have noticed is that I can sustain better stroke patterns in fly and fr, my arms would just fall off before if I did that for too long.

Lump
May 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I CAN tell you that I felt a lot less strong in the water this Spring (with much less dryland and almost NO weights) compared to last Spring when I did 2x/week.

orca1946
May 22nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
In season I train with weights 3 days a week on my non swim days.
YES - it will be good for you !!