PDA

View Full Version : Swimming MP3 players-suggestions

Melissa D
May 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
OK I am addicted to swimming with music. But why can't someone make a player that lasts!!

I love the Finis Swimp3 but have to send it in every 2-3 months as it dies on me. To their credit they have been great about fixing and replacing the players at no charge to me but it's a hassle.

I'm not trying the DolphinLite and it's USB cable is bad ( I've had it 10 days )

What do people use that they are happy with? I use it about 6 hours a week.

Debugger
May 25th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Doesn't it affect your performance? I was swimming for about 2 weeks with my Speedo Aquabeat and I noticed that performance dropped down. I'm also fan of the music but I noticed that I have some issue with listening it in water - I can't concentrate and as a result I failed to keep my usual target times in the sets. So now I'm mainly listen to it on a dry land. (I'd better got an iPod for that) :)

Melissa D
May 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Actually my times have improved and I swim longer workouts. I did discover though that I need to make sure the music I load is fast-I tend to swim in rythym to the beat. : )

They even have places where you can load music to act as a tempo trainer.

Debugger
May 25th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Interesting, though I'd rather try wetronom as a tempo trainer because music doesn't have constant rhythm (not the music I listen).
http://www.wetronome.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=2

Melissa D
May 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I use one of those too. : ) I have the FINIS Tempo Trainer. When I'm working a distance set I use that to keep me from gradually slowing down as I get tired.

swim86
May 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I've been swimming with my waterproof ipod for months http://www.waterproofmusic.com/ipod.html :) (http://www.waterproofmusic.com/ipod.html)

Melissa D
May 25th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Another swimmer at the Y has one of those been trying to figure out if they are worth the money. But if it lasts like my regular iPOd it's be worth it. : )

orca1946
May 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I might try the $200 water proof I pod.

swim86
May 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Another swimmer at the Y has one of those been trying to figure out if they are worth the money. But if it lasts like my regular iPOd it's be worth it. : )
Well, I've been using it since december, and so far It has been worth the money.

moodyrichardson
May 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I just purchased the SwiMp3 player by FINIS at SwimFest last weekend. I really like the bone conduction technology, as well as not using earbuds. It's simple with no wires. So far, it's performed really well.

Melissa D
May 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I'm on my 5th Swimp3. I love the sound quality too and not having to hassle with earbuds but they just quit working after about 3 months.

They have been great about replacing them but it's a hassle to have them just suddenly quit and to have to mail them back in and wait for a replacement.

orca1946
May 27th, 2011, 12:24 AM
No ear buds? It just bangs out tunes against your head?

moodyrichardson
May 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
It uses bone conduction technology. The music is so clear!

Charge
May 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I swim with this
http://www.swimpodusa.co/home/

Works great, but my issue is I have been through 3 pairs of headphones (all diff brands) and I can't find a pair that I don't spend forever messing with.

Also, I have contacted CS about 5 times with no response b/c their headphones stopped working correctly within weeks.

sanwin
May 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM
WOW, I had the first Finis MP3 player and the one ear piece cracked,they upgraded me,and I have not had any trouble with it. I just love having music to swim.:chug:

moodyrichardson
June 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
I was just wondering. For those of you that have mp3 players, what is your favorite song to swim with? I have a really odd one. My favorite is "Define Dancing" from the WALL-E soundtrack.

Debugger
June 4th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Mine is "Manowar - Number 1" with awesome lyrics - YouTube - ‪Manowar - Number 1‬‏

EJB190
June 4th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I once swam at a pool that had underwater speakers. It was pretty sick. I think that would be the best solution haha.

I think the SwiMP3 is the best option out there. I hear you on reliability though.

mjtyson
June 5th, 2011, 01:18 PM
swimp3 all the way for me. Tried ear buds with a waterproof iPod in the past, and got so pi$$ed at one workout (b/c of the headphones) that I just left. I was so not in the mood to swim after spending 25 minutes trying to get a seal in my ear so I coudl hear the music.
Now, I don't worry. I always hear my music just fine thru my skull!

jthunt
July 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I haven't purchased anything yet but I have been doing alot of research. This might be a more expensive option but being a techie, I may not be able to pass it up. I am thinking about getting the waterproof ipod shuffle with a pair of Bone Conduction earbuds.

http://amzn.com/B002XISVXU

alstarvlbl
May 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I love swimming with music now!

I just got a waterproof iPod from Waterfi

It was great for me, because all my songs are on iTunes already. Plus apple just tends to have more reliable products.

Its worked great so far, and I love it!

If anyone is interested you can find it at http://www.waterfi.com

Good Luck!

PatrickJM
May 19th, 2012, 01:41 PM
OK I am addicted to swimming with music. But why can't someone make a player that lasts!!

I love the Finis Swimp3 but have to send it in every 2-3 months as it dies on me. To their credit they have been great about fixing and replacing the players at no charge to me but it's a hassle.

I'm not trying the DolphinLite and it's USB cable is bad ( I've had it 10 days )

What do people use that they are happy with? I use it about 6 hours a week.

My SwiMP3 has been pretty good, except the strap clip broke this week -not a biggie since the goggle strap holds it in place anyway. The USB connector on my first one corroded because I didn't know to take the cover off and rinse/dry it. Finis replaced without a problem, so I like them. As for longevity between charges, I've only had it power down once because I really did forget to charge it. I use it one hour a day four or five days a week between charges.