PDA

View Full Version : Alright, guys, I got a meet coming up and I need some advice

Couroboros
May 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM
It's going to be June 4th and 5th in Pleasanton, CA.

I'll be doing five events a day for a total of ten. Last February, I did eight events at a meet and I decided I wanted to top that when I registered for this meet.

Now, with the meet fast approaching, I had been considering dropping some events ahead of time and getting refunds. Then I was informed I couldn't do that. Uh oh.

The circumstances are... I wasn't in the pool for two weeks up to last Friday. Due to a combination of having been sick three weeks ago, accumulating bad decisions, and having to study for finals (which are now finally over, thank every deity that was ever believed in), I missed a whole lotta swim time. Looking back on it, I realize now it was a big, big mistake, although I wonder how I would've done on finals. And whether I could've balanced the two, school and pool. That might've been risker in regards to my grades, though... ah, well. Anyway, I digress too much...

My events, in order:

day 1:
200 IM
200 free
100 back
400 free (first time)
100 free
day 2:
400 IM (first time)
100 breast
200 back
100 fly
50 free

You can probably tell which of the events I wanted to refund. I suppose I could always scratch, but I don't really want to. I did enough of that at the last meet when I was sick. I want to take this thing head-on.

So, I would highly appreciate it if you could all offer me maybe one short sentence or even a single word of advice about each of the events (or just some specific ones).

Thanks in advance.

Debugger
May 26th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I guess you know the answer... :)
Five events per day that's too much!
Just wonder why didn't you choose 1500 Free after 400IM?
You may try to take Creatine during trainings to see if it works for you then to use it at the meet, though I doubt it will help much in 400 Free and 200 Back.

gdanner
May 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
400 IM (first time)

Cruise the fly and negative split each of the back/breast/free 100's. Post your splits afterwards :)

No strategy for anything 100 or less...just go all out start to finish.

pwb
May 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Look on the bright side: you were sane enough NOT to enter the 200 fly.

I'd counter Greg's suggestion for going all out on the 100s -- in long course I focus on building these from about 85/90% effort on the 1st 50 to 95% on the next 25 and aim for 100% on the last 25.

pmccoy
May 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
400 IM would be a good warm up for the rest of your day. Just take it easy and have fun. Go for a swim. Use the 400 free to get up to speed for your 100. Negative split it and get comfortable with the turns.

pmccoy
May 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Cruise the fly and negative split each of the back/breast/free 100's. Post your splits afterwards :)

No strategy for anything 100 or less...just go all out start to finish.

You mean like this? http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meets/splits.cfm?smid=2567&mrid=344382&id=151R-06N16&fn=Peter&ln=McCoy&s=finals

Allen Stark
May 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Cruise the fly

I believe you misspelled "curse".
Seriously,are there any of these events that you particularly want a good time in?If so which ones?
If not I'd just say"man I'm going to have an awesome workout" and just swim hard.

ElaineK
May 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I believe you misspelled "curse".

:D Of course, he could always swim butterFROG, instead...

philoswimmer
May 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM
It's going to be June 4th and 5th in Pleasanton, CA.

What meet is that? I don't remember hearing about a Pac Masters meet this weekend.

I know you don't want to scratch any events, but what good is it to swim mediocre-ly in all? I'd focus only on the events I really cared about, and pretend that I never signed up for the others.

I was in a similar situation for the Pac Masters Champs. I found that, having missed some training, my speed held up better than my endurance did.

Celestial
May 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
First off, I have to say, I agree with Allan, especially about the misspelling of cruise (curse the fly).
I am firmly of the opinion that if you have to travel to this meet & spend the night in a hotel, that you will be ahead financially simply by scratching the whole meet if you are confident that you will swim poorly.
On the other hand, you should count yourself shaved & tapered!! Go get 'em! :ohyeah:

funkyfish
May 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM
My suggestion would be to pick 3, maybe 4 races to focus on, and use the others for warm-up/keeping loose. The only problem with that is if you don't swim the exact time you seeded, you may be accused of sandbagging/anti-sandbagging :D But seriously, I'd pick just a few races to do well on, and if you're determined to swim what you signed up for, do a moderate effort on the rest.
Good luck! I can't imagine swimming more that 200-250m in any given meet anyway, but that's because I'm a wussy sprinter :banana:

Couroboros
May 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Five events per day that's too much!
Just wonder why didn't you choose 1500 Free after 400IM?

Well, back in February, I did 4 events per day and I got PBs in 6 races over the weekend. Normally, a lot of events won't get me down too much, I think. So my thinking when I registered was: why not 5 per day?

When I was picking events, I wanted to go with one really hard one. Just the one. So I had three choices, essentially: 200 fly, 400 IM, or 1500 free. I chose the 400 IM.

As to whether to cruise or curse... man, they both sound good.

pwb: I had considered doing 12 events and entering the 200 fly, too! Thankfully, I didn't!

pmc: I've heard the strategy of treating a race like a warm-up. As sensible as it sounds, I mentally incapable of diving into the water after the buzzer and not going straight to race-mode. Too excited and nervous, you know?

philo: it's not a masters meet.

Today, I had my first real good practice since I got back in the pool last Friday. I'm a lot less worried about next weekend now. It's gonna be exciting!

orca1946
May 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I would dump the 400 free ??? & 200 back cuz they are in the middle of the day.

Debugger
May 27th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Well, back in February, I did 4 events per day and I got PBs in 6 races over the weekend. Normally, a lot of events won't get me down too much, I think. So my thinking when I registered was: why not 5 per day?

When I was picking events, I wanted to go with one really hard one. Just the one. So I had three choices, essentially: 200 fly, 400 IM, or 1500 free. I chose the 400 IM.

As to whether to cruise or curse... man, they both sound good.

pwb: I had considered doing 12 events and entering the 200 fly, too! Thankfully, I didn't!

pmc: I've heard the strategy of treating a race like a warm-up. As sensible as it sounds, I mentally incapable of diving into the water after the buzzer and not going straight to race-mode. Too excited and nervous, you know?

philo: it's not a masters meet.

Today, I had my first real good practice since I got back in the pool last Friday. I'm a lot less worried about next weekend now. It's gonna be exciting!
If there's only one week before the meet it's too late to do any major changes. I would leave everything as it is (you should be in the taper phase now???) and concentrate on practicing nice starts and turns - that can drop down your times. Also as I wrote I would consider about taking Creatine plus carbohydrate drinks during the meet days which may help to recover your energy.

Couroboros
June 5th, 2011, 08:36 PM
The meet is already over! That went by so fast.

So how did I do? I ended up doing 6 events instead of the monster 10. Had I not been out of the pool for two weeks in beginning to mid May, I might have been able to manage 10.

Yesterday, I swam the 200 IM, 200 free, and 100 free. I wanted to do the 100 back and 400 free also, but I wasn't used to the extremely fast pace with which the meet moved, so when I went to my car to get a dry towel (it was rainy), I came back to find I had missed my heat of the 100 back. As a consequence, I was kept out of my next event, the 400 free.

day 1:

The 200 IM: 3:02.

That might be a new PB. I did it in 3:02, which SwimmingWorld converts to a 2:36 in scy, a 2-second drop from my PB in February. I'm waiting to see what SwimConnection converts it to before I make it official, though.

The 200 free: 2:41.

This is nowhere near my scy PB of 2:12. It's a 2:20 converted. Back in April, I was doing 2:10s (scy) in practice, off the wall, so this time is very disappointing to me.

The 100 free: 1:09.

Another disappointing freestyle race, especially considering four weeks ago when I was sick at a meet and I went 1:07 (which at the time was also disappointing). I guess being sick and in-shape > out of shape and not sick.

day 2: (dropped out of 400 IM and 200 back)

The 100 breast: 1:37.

Converts to 1:23!!! PB by a second! WHAT?! This race is the most surprising to me. Out of left field. I'll take it.

The 100 fly: 1:29

Not so good. Converts to 1:17, which is way below my 1:10 February PB.

The 50 free: 30.88

It's "okay." A couple ten-one-hundredths under my scy PB.

So, looking back at the meet, I have noticed something. All my freestyle races were disappointing. Normally, the 50, 100, and 200 frees are where I stand the most chance of dropping a lot of time and obviously are the events that I've come the farthest in. None of them were first of the day, like the 200 IM and the 100 breast. My first races on both days were my only PBs. Also, in the 200 IM, my coach noted that I seemed to shut down on the last 50. In other words, the freestyle. This leads me to three theories:

1.) didn't do so hot on freestyle because I've come the farthest on them so as such when I take a 2-week absence, I drop down farther on them and have to make up more ground

2.) didn't do so hot on freestyle (and that 100 fly) because my endurance got spent in my first races (although it certainly didn't feel like that in my 100 breast)

3.) both of the above

what do you guys think?

edit: oh, and I have another LCM meet in two weeks. On the schedule: 50, 100, 200 free, 100 breast, 100 fly, 100 back, 200 back, and 200 IM. I'll be back with a vengeance. Oh yes. :)

couldbebetterfly
June 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Its probably a combination of the faact that the freestyle events were shortly after another event and your body is not used to the fast turnaround of fast swimming (well that's what I put my slow 200 free down to in Feb) and that you are starting to plateau on your freestyle improvement, so will not see a time drop at every competition.

Last summer just getting back into swimming I swam a 1.04 high on 100 yd free and almost dropped dead at the end of it. In Feb I swam a 1.04 low, soon after a 50 fly, leapt out of the pool and had to get into gear for the 500 free. So while I was disappointed I hadn't swum faster (I wanted to go 1.02x) I was also pleased how much better and fitter I felt. :blah: What was I saying? Oh yes....you are likely a faster swimmer than you were a few months back, just not under those particular circumstances.