PDA

View Full Version : International swimming

Yankee78
May 29th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Hello all, I'm trying to find a data-base for places to swim outside the U.S. I travel in my business a great deal, mostly out of the country. This can really put the squash on my workouts..... I have found places in many cities, either by asking the concierge or the staff in the hotel gym. Google searches aren't much help, they generally give hotel pools, no good. I am in Dubai right now, found a health club with an outdoor 25m pool. $70/day and with the air 90+ it is probably too warm. Thanks in advance

no200fly
May 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
This website - www.swimmersguide.com - has a lot of locations listed all over the world. I don't see anything listed in Dubai, but I have used it for trips to Europe and South America.

pwb
May 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
This website - www.swimmersguide.com (http://www.swimmersguide.com) - has a lot of locations listed all over the world. I don't see anything listed in Dubai, but I have used it for trips to Europe and South America.I'll ditto the recommendation for this link. If you're going someplace more exotic, posting here with a specific request (e.g., see thread on St. Thomas) is also a good idea.

Much as I wish I had been to Dubai, alas, I have not.

Yankee78
June 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi no200fly, thanks for the link, you ROCK! This should help me fight off jet lag on my trips. I could not find a decent pool in Dubai this trip, all hotel pools. But, on my departure someone heard my whining. They had been on a tour of Dubai with friends and were shown the new Dubai Sports Complex. I couldn't find a dedicated website for it, but did find many references in other links. Apparently it has 2 50m pools. I will be back there in a few weeks and will check it out and post my findings here and on the database. Thanks again.

mjtyson
June 10th, 2011, 06:57 AM
While this isn't exactly what you're looking for, if you're looking for open water swimming competitions in Europe, I have a constantly-updated list of OW swims of 10K or greater on my blog:
http://mtheads.typepad.com/10kmarathonswim/2011/03/this-is-a-list-of-european-marathon-swims-of-10k-or-longer-2011-dates-if-available-if-not-2010-dates-are-shown-this-list.html#tp
Also not exactly what you're looking for, but might help, is the European Union's OW website. They have links to national swimming bodies, through which you may be able to get info on their "local" pools.
http://openwaterswimming.eu/
Again, I know this wasn't exactly your question, but perhaps it'll help.
Cheers,

no200fly
June 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Great - let us know about swimming in Dubai. I have this mental picture of gold plated fixtures in the showers and a massage therapist at the end of each lane.

Yankee78
August 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
More info on the Dubai Sports complex, no go...... There is NO open/public swimmng there. Only events and team practice, to not include the masters. I had the hotel concierge on the line for 10 mins trying to find the answer. So, when it cools down the only places are some 25m outdoor pools at hotels. Not going to try it in the summer, no way. Please PM me if you find another option in Dubai.

no200fly
August 4th, 2011, 05:55 PM
More info on the Dubai Sports complex, no go...... There is NO open/public swimmng there. Only events and team practice, to not include the masters. I had the hotel concierge on the line for 10 mins trying to find the answer. So, when it cools down the only places are some 25m outdoor pools at hotels. Not going to try it in the summer, no way. Please PM me if you find another option in Dubai.

Good thing I don't have any desire to go there.
You would think that a country that has an indoor snow skiing facility in the middle of the desert could at least have a pool where you could work out.