PDA

View Full Version : Open Water on The Today Show

sydned
May 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hey Open Water swimmers-
Since we never get our due, thought some of you might like a piece that shows at least a little bit. My mom and I were interviewed for a book on women in sports, Run Like A Girl, by Mina Samuels. The Today Show did a feature this morning, and thought some of you might like to see it.
Cheers!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/43215280#43215280

E=H2O
May 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Great piece. It really highlights the shift in thinking about woman in sports since I was in school. I don't think it could have ever happened without Title IX.

But what's the story about that one lane pool? Looks like it is in the city in an upper floor of a building.

sydned
May 30th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks. I agree-it does underscore the ways people have changed their thinking about sports, and women in sports.

That's actually my pool at my house. Decadent and crazy, and I love it. I train in that almost every day, when I'm not at Masters. Dwell Magazine did a piece about it a few years ago, which I think can be found if you google it. We are nuts, but instead of renovating, went with our passion and built that, after we moved from Portland, OR to Massachusetts.

E=H2O
May 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM
How long is it?

chaos
May 30th, 2011, 03:24 PM
nice piece sydne.... and yes, i have pool envy as well.

Bobinator
May 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Wonderful Syned!
I would not have survived being a single mom of 3 with a full-time career without my running! Unfortunately we cannot allow our sport to totally define us because that can be self-destructive too.

sydned
May 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
The pool is 25 yards. I know-nuts!
And yes, it's true. We can't let our sports define us, but at the very least, I know my son learns from watching me compete, seeing me work hard at something I love, and even seeing me not succeed every time.

Dave, no need for pool envy. You know you are always welcome anytime! :)

E=H2O
May 30th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I swim, therefore I am.

srcoyote
May 31st, 2011, 07:52 AM
Great piece. Great pool.

My return to swimming in my 30's also arose out of a daily need to clear my head.

sydned
May 31st, 2011, 08:04 AM
It's true. If I didn't have it, well, I pity the folks who'd have to spend time with me.

pwb
May 31st, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks. I agree-it does underscore the ways people have changed their thinking about sports, and women in sports.

That's actually my pool at my house. Decadent and crazy, and I love it. I train in that almost every day, when I'm not at Masters. Dwell Magazine did a piece about it a few years ago, which I think can be found if you google it. We are nuts, but instead of renovating, went with our passion and built that, after we moved from Portland, OR to Massachusetts.Awesome piece ... and you've got an awesome freestyle.

The pool looks awesome. I just finally built one for myself last year ... best $$$ ever spent.

Keep rocking the pool.

sydned
May 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Thank so much! And especially for the Freestyle compliments. I keep hoping no one will notice my hand sweeping out! :)

Is your pool indoors? I agree-decadence be darned. Best money we ever spent, and I cannot tell you how many times I tried to convince my husband we should NOT do this. Silly me.

orca1946
June 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
I wish I could drop over to use it when you are not.
What a great addition & time saver .

sydned
June 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
The more the merrier! It is an incredible time saver. And when I have my crabby pants on, my family can just point toward it and tell me to go.

pwb
June 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Is your pool indoors? I agree-decadence be darned. Best money we ever spent, and I cannot tell you how many times I tried to convince my husband we should NOT do this. Silly me.My pool is outdoors, picture attached. It's funny, but my wife (a runner) had to convince me to build the pool!

E=H2O
June 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
My pool is outdoors, picture attached. It's funny, but my wife (a runner) had to convince me to build the pool!

I hate you. :D

fatboy
June 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
My pool is outdoors, picture attached. It's funny, but my wife (a runner) had to convince me to build the pool!

Perfect for Gridge Matches!

sydned
June 6th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Two lanes-nice!
It's funny because my husband had to convince me too. And I think it was partially his effort to keep me home more! No more schlepping to the YMCA in the early morning, etc.

I've found, also, that kids love our pool because they feel so safe in it. There's always a wall nearby! Kids who have always been "afraid of the water" are constantly surprising their parents when they come over.
Do you find the same?

Glad to see someone else is nuts like me!