PDA

View Full Version : MIMS 2011

chaos
June 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
yes, its too late to sign up for this year's event, but with the BIGGEST FIELD EVER, it is going to be a really good show. The best place to be (other than in the water) will be on the water, and (lucky you!) there are still a few spots available to sign up as an official observer. I have served in this capacity, and it really is a great way to watch it all unfold, and there is no better way to get a good look at the course in case you are thinking of signing up for 2012.

Go to the website www.nycswim.org

This is going to be a battle this year!

See ya there

Chicken of the Sea
June 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm on a boat this year! SO excited. I wonder which swimmer I'll get?

chaos
June 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
and we'll be swimming at BB thursday and friday morn!

evmo
June 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
I'm on a boat this year! SO excited. I wonder which swimmer I'll get?

I want Chicken, but I can't have her.

Chicken of the Sea
June 1st, 2011, 10:42 PM
Our pre race meeting is tomorrow. I guess if I request your boat I'm guaranteed not to get it!! Maybe I'll get John VW mwahahahaha

Just hope not to get a relay because I'm guaranteed to stuff up the timing with that one!

ViveBene
June 1st, 2011, 10:56 PM
Suddenly I'm not having as much fun as I was about 2 minutes ago.
Why is the fun always in another part of the country?!
:)

Good swims to everybody, and hope nobody jumps this year!

Chicken of the Sea
June 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM
I've still got the map my observer was doodling my times on last year, complete with a little stick figure jumping off the GW bridge.....

gregoc
June 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Sorry, Amanda. That is my sick sense of humor. I was your observer last year. See you in a few weeks. Maybe you will be assigned to my boat!

Chicken of the Sea
June 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Sorry, Amanda. That is my sick sense of humor. I was your observer last year. See you in a few weeks. Maybe you will be assigned to my boat!

That was you!!!??? haha I didn't know!!! I LOVE that map, it's my prized possession and souvenir from that swim, and I keep it in my OW backpack.

Chicken of the Sea
June 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
and we'll be swimming at BB thursday and friday morn!

Think there'll be CIBBOWS lurking at BB on SUnday morning? I dont get in until Friday afternoon (sob sob). AND I left my CIBBOWS cap in San Fran!!!!

chaos
June 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Think there'll be CIBBOWS lurking at BB on SUnday morning? I dont get in until Friday afternoon (sob sob). AND I left my CIBBOWS cap in San Fran!!!!

i'll get you a new cap.

there will certainly be people there on sunday. i think i'm going to the UN for the OW swimming conference.

Greg, looking forward to seeing you.

Ken Classen
June 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Colorado Represents Open-water Swimming (CROWS) with four participants in this years MIMS.

Joe Bakel, a successful English Channel crosser from Ft. Collins, CO.
Eliz Albritton-McDonald another English Channel success from Bellvue, CO
Cliff Crozier, completed the Catalina Channel from Littleton, CO
Sarah Thomas, although from Texas has been living, working and training in Englewood, CO for the past several years and crossed the Catalina Channel last year.

Not bad for a land locked state where lake really means reservoir.

chaos
June 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Colorado Represents Open-water Swimming (CROWS) with four participants in this years MIMS.

Joe Bakel, a successful English Channel crosser from Ft. Collins, CO.
Eliz Albritton-McDonald another English Channel success from Bellvue, CO
Cliff Crozier, completed the Catalina Channel from Littleton, CO
Sarah Thomas, although from Texas has been living, working and training in Englewood, CO for the past several years and crossed the Catalina Channel last year.

Not bad for a land locked state where lake really means reservoir.

inland altitude swimmers were well represented last year as well with triple crowner Craig Lenning and Katie Raymond.

chaos
June 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
BOAT OBSERVERS NEEDED!!!!!!!!

what are you waiting for?

E=H2O
June 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM
BOAT OBSERVERS NEEDED!!!!!!!!

what are you waiting for?

++++++++1

We need to support MIMS. They have opened up the field to many additional swimmers. If you have ever dreamed of swimming around Manhatten then it's time to step up. Without enough volunteers we could all find ourselves (or a friend) trying to get into a swim that closes out in minutes.

chaos
June 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM
++++++++1

We need to support MIMS. They have opened up the field to many additional swimmers. If you have ever dreamed of swimming around Manhatten then it's time to step up. Without enough volunteers we could all find ourselves (or a friend) trying to get into a swim that closes out in minutes.

well said bob.

the process isn't that complicated... go to www.nycswim.org
click on events; click on manhattan island marathon swim; click volunteer; complete profile.

hope to see you there.

rtodd
June 18th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Man,

Impossible to get results online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Classen
June 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Agreed, accept from some Facebook posts from friends in the race no results or news at this moment in time. The GPS was nice but apparently gave some false results as some Kayaks where the GPS was located were not always next to there swimmer. I thought they might have someone updating twitter every 30 minutes or so but no such luck.

rtodd
June 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
results finally up.

My friend did not have GPS, so I was lost for the whole day.

chaos
June 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
What a great day. I had the pleasure of watching it all unfold from one of the roaming safety boats. Erica Rose took it out fast and led from the start . John VW didn't make a move until the Harlem river. Oliver Wilkinson took 2nd place briefly and crossed Spuytin Duyvel first. Evan Morrison turned it on for the home stretch (last half of the Hudson) and passed a few swimmers to finish in 3rd place overall. He rocked..... might have over-taken John VW if there was another 1/2 mile.

Congrats to all the swimmers!

There is a huge sense of accomplishment that everyone involved in this event feels when it goes as smoothly as it did yesterday, so congrats to all the crews, kayakers, safety personal etc etc..... a job very well done! (i need some sleep)

nhc
June 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Great race, and great weather. (Was it too warm for the swimmers?) It's not only about endurance, but also dealing with boredom. Looks like everyone finished it. I seem to have seen on the web site that in the past some became disqualified during the swim; what could have made one DQ'd in OW swim?

chaos
June 19th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Great race, and great weather. (Was it too warm for the swimmers?) It's not only about endurance, but also dealing with boredom. Looks like everyone finished it. I seem to have seen on the web site that in the past some became disqualified during the swim; what could have made one DQ'd in OW swim?

nothing boring about swimming MIMS. there is always something to see, and you always know where you are.

someone was dq'd last year when their crew member swam with them for a short while.

Chicken of the Sea
June 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
nothing boring about swimming MIMS. there is always something to see, and you always know where you are.

someone was dq'd last year when their crew member swam with them for a short while.

Agreed. No boredom at MIMS either in the water or out of it. Had a blast being Erica Rose's observer. Didn't see much of the other swimmers except when she was blasting through the 1st and 2nd Waves.

Was bummed not to see EVMO finish but think I was discreetly hurling over the side of my boat when he came in :(

nhc
June 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM

That is too bad for the swimmer because of the crew's fault.:( (Maybe shark-killing should also make a DQ ;)).

JeffJotz
June 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I was on a boat crew last week and the event was lots of fun. I swam MIMS as a relay in 1998 and really enjoyed the day.

I'm not too worried about swimming 28.5 miles, but if I was ever able to scrape together the $2000 entry fee, I'd give MIMS a consideration.