PDA

View Full Version : Using an ankle lock to train Butterfly

surf
June 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Was thinking of getting an ankle lock to help me with the 'fly. When I try to do butterfly, I have a hard time with the kick. Sometimes, I'll accidently try to do a breaststroke kick or tonight I was accidentally flutter kicking sometimes. I really have to think and tell myself to keep my feet together. So I thought it might help to get an ankle lock to practice with. Anyone tried this? Yea or Nay?

Debugger
June 3rd, 2011, 03:52 AM
Was thinking of getting an ankle lock to help me with the 'fly. When I try to do butterfly, I have a hard time with the kick. Sometimes, I'll accidently try to do a breaststroke kick or tonight I was accidentally flutter kicking sometimes. I really have to think and tell myself to keep my feet together. So I thought it might help to get an ankle lock to practice with. Anyone tried this? Yea or Nay?
I will open you a secret: as a breaststroker I can do a breaststroke kick even with my feet together. I used to sin that way while swimming fly. :D
To fix my fly kick I was swimming a lot 3+3+3 drill with full concentration on my kick, also I used to swim a lot with short fins (they make breaststroke kick very uncomfortable). Now I completely got rid of the breast kick in my fly and it took me about 4 months.

orca1946
June 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Are you doing fly kick drills? Try dolphin on your back & change to regular on chest each length to make your brain think proper kick always.

surf
June 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Are you doing fly kick drills? Try dolphin on your back & change to regular on chest each length to make your brain think proper kick always.

I have started doing dolphin kick on my back using fins. When you say "change to regular" you mean do the dolphin kick on my back one length, then try to actually swim the 'fly on the next?