PDA

View Full Version : what to do to taper?

wnt2bfst
June 4th, 2011, 01:38 AM
i have been swimming for about a year. 4000-4500 yards per swim 3-4 times a week, mostly 4 times. i have swam in 4 meets and have a scy meet coming up at the end of june. a three day meet, sat- mon. there is a lcm meet i want to attend one week before. will a swim the week before hurt my performance the following week?

the 3 day event i will be swimming 200, 100 and 50 free, 200 im, 100 bk and 50 back.
at the vegas lcm, one day meet i am thinking about doing the 50 fly, 100 back, 50 free and 200 im. fly and ind med are not my best events so i want the practice.

i am now starting to cut my yardage to about 3000-3500 yrds per session. trying to push faster and keeping the repeats heavy at 120 yards some 200 and a few 40-60 yrd sprints. 45% back 45% free 10% fly and ind med work. after a year i can't believe how poor my endurance is. should i stop playing racquetball and stop lifting or just cut back? i think i am over analyzing this stuff but i do want to be fast.

this tapper thing i do not fully grasp. what else should i be doing?

Betsy
June 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Taper for the big meet. You'll have a partial taper for the smaller meet. I don't think the meets close together will be a problem as long as you concentrate on the taper for the big meet.
What works for me during a taper is to practice swimming race pace. I have to get the feel for the right pace. I'll swim the first 1/4 of each race, trying to hit the right pace. I might do 2 x 50 at 200 pace. 25s are important for me. All of my best 50s have been after a taper. It seems to take awhile to get the 25s fast enough for a good 50. Mix it up during taper practices and take enough rest between swims.
I have learned that I swim best in a big meet when I am confident that I can hit the right pace regardless of who else is in the heat.
Yardage seems to take care of itself. If you have a good warm-up (practice your meet warm-up), plenty of rest during your broken or partial swims, and a good cool-down, there is not enough time to do much yardage.
I have done my best in meets when during the last week I am energentic and want to do "one more" swim. Leaving wanting more is a good sign.

ande
June 4th, 2011, 03:27 PM
hey wnt2bfst

you're 4000 - 4500 yards per swim 3 - 4 times a week, mostly 4
you have a scy 3 day meet coming up end of june
then a lcm meet a one week before
will a swim the week before hurt my performance the following week?
NO

you're swimming
50 100 200 free, 200 im, 50 & 100 bk

vegas lcm is a one day meet
50 fly, 100 back, 50 free and 200 im

you're starting to cut your yardage to 3000-3500 yrds
push faster and keeping the repeats heavy at 120 yards some 200 and a few 40-60 yrd sprints. 45% back 45% free 10% fly
you can't believe how poor your endurance is.
you asked
"should i stop playing racquetball and stop lifting or just cut back?"
cut raquetball first
cut back a bit on weights a few days out

you wrote: "i think i am over analyzing this stuff but i do want to be fast."
you probably are, what are your times?

you asked:
what else should i be doing?

Read Swim Faster Faster,
pick a few ideas and apply in practice

Tip 341 Index of SFF Tips for Swimmers Who are Preparing for a BIG Meet

SWIM FAST IN PRACTICE

swim 5 or 6 times a week instead of 3 or 4
lift 2 or 3 times a week

come up with a plan for each day
Read Tip 342 Taper Planning Tips

SHAVE

GET A Jammer to Race in

ASK yourself, "What do I need to do to swim faster?"
write down your answers and do them

good luck
let us know how you do

ande

funkyfish
June 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I've read (and anecdotally experienced) that you should rest (i.e. taper) more for sprints vs. distance swims. For what it's worth, maybe for comparison, I've done best on 2-3 weeks of tapering, cutting my yardage down to 1/2 or 1/3 of what I regularly swim, then 1/4 the week before. I'll do a mix of race-paced swims, coupled with really ez swim downs, like I'd do in a meet. Lots of rest between the race-paced swims. I'm a drop-dead sprinter, so I haven't seriously raced anything over 100m. One taper set for me might be 100yd free sprint, rest :30, ez swim 150yds, then rest 6:00-8:00 and repeat for 3-4 times. For 50s I might rest 4:00-5:00.

Just what I've found works reasonably well for me. Another thing that seems to help is to be sure and go all out on the sprinting during the taper, as in trying to recreate that wonderful whole-body burning sensation that I seem to experience during a race.
:bliss:

orca1946
June 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah !!! What Andy said. I cut back distance by 25 % & up the pace by 10 -15% with more rest.

wnt2bfst
June 6th, 2011, 12:39 AM
my times to me are not what i want. i suppose most people feel this way.
i have swam in 2 scy meets this year
50 free 27.?
100 free 1:01.?
200 free 2:19.?
100 im 1:16.?
100 back 1:23.?

way off from hs glory. especially the back times.

a long way to go to be fast.

i think i will use the strategy of swimming 20 at the pace i need for 58 sec 100 time. 11.5 secs per 20 sounds like the pace to keep with 1 min rest between. i can see how this will help my feel for the race but swimming short like this with such long rests can't be good for my actual event, can it?

5-6 days in the pool is the goal but my wife won't share the goal.

i will go ahead and embarrass myself and post the times for my next competitions.

thanks for the advise i hope i can implement your ideas.

wnt2bfst
June 6th, 2011, 12:49 AM
my times are not what i want. i suppose most people feel this way.
i have swam in 2 scy meets this year
50 free 27.?
100 free 1:01.?
200 free 2:19.?
100 im 1:16.?
100 back 1:23.?

way off from high school glory days. especially the back stroke time.

a long way to go to be fast.

i think i will use the strategy of swimming 20's at the pace for a 58 sec 100 time, 11.5 secs per 20. the pace to keep with 1 min rest between. i can see how this will help my feel for the race but swimming short like this with such long rests can't be good for my actual event, can it?

5-6 days in the pool is the goal but my wife won't share the goal.

i will go ahead and embarrass myself and post the times for my next competitions.

thanks for the advise i hope to implement some of the ideas. especially the extended rest.

ande
June 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Your times are: 50, 100 & 200 free 27.?, 1:01.?, & 2:19.?, 100 im 1:16.?, & 100 back 1:23.?

What's your age? Height? & Weight?

OK now that I've seen your times & since you're mainly swimming 50's & 100's and seem to fall off pretty bad in the 200, my suggestions are:

+ Concentrate on SPEED, both swimming & kicking
warm up easy with perfect form
then mainly do fast 15's & 25's with plenty of rest,
also do a few fast 50's & 75s
plus Race your events once or twice a week.
also do some easy speed & negative split swims
at this point, you don't have much time, don't worry about doing aerobic training and building fitness for your 200's, and anything you do for that will make your 50's & 100's slower

When racing 200's
on the first 100 use
easy speed, breathe a LOT, save your legs,
do a 2 beat kick on free & small easy kicks on fly in the IM,
conserve your energy for the 2nd 100 especially for that last fast 50

for backstroke, work on great form, fast arms, & Streamline Dolphin Kicking

keep lifting to get stronger

don't worry about your glory days one day these will be the good old days

don't worry that you have a "long way to go" just be
what you are, where you are, and focus on improving

you asked: swimming short like this with such long rests can't be good for my actual event, can it?
YES, surprisingly anything you do to train and prepare for your meet will help.
focus on sprints and speed

keep your wife happy, Swim when you can, tell her you want get in better shape, have a healthy heart, so you can do fun things with her and dance with her at your great grand childrens weddings

implement the ideas, especially the ones from:
Help! My (___) is Horrible!

also consider Build a Fortress of Speed & Strength

Train hard and smart,
post your times from your competitions.
Good luck,

SwimKat
June 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Im new to USMS after swimming long ago in HS/college and just went through my first successful taper this spring. I was worried there wasnt anything to taper from since I was doing so much less than in the "old glory days". But it worked.

I found swimming fast to be important. My body had to get used to speed so it could feel easy and natural = hard fast swims with lots of rest, going off the blocks and working turns at race pace - but not too much yardage at that intensity. Since I was only swimimng 3-4 times a week, I didnt drop my overall yardage much but definitely dropped the overall intensity. Did lots of drill yardage working on technique combined with some super high intensity speed work. Then I did drop yards 3-4 days before the big meet - warm-up, some fast 25s off the blocks, warm-down.

Also I cut back on weights 2 weeks out and stopped altogether a week out. Stopped other sports a week out too.

My best advice is not to stress too much about it. Listen to your body because we are all different and each season will be different. Be rested, believe in the work you've done to date, and have fun with it!

I think the meet the week before will be great racing practice too.

GOOD LUCK!

wnt2bfst
June 7th, 2011, 01:25 AM
first practice since i have read some of the advice. i went to the big boy pool, scy. it took a couple hundred yards to get acclimated to the extended yards. i swam 3000 yrds of broken 200's lots of 25's and 50's, lots of drills especially with butterfly. it felt good to swim freestyle 25's at race pace. right now their is no way i can keep the pace for 100's after the fly drills the 75's were allot easier and doable. back stroke technique and times are getting better but still stinks. arm speed is like a wind mill with little wind.

thanks for the help. i will stay on this taper as i understand it for the next two weeks.