PDA

View Full Version : Tips for trimming body fat?

GoFastFishy
June 4th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Just got back into swimming and joined a team. What are some different ways to get rid of body fat in the chest/stomach/thigh region? I don't necessarily want to build more muscle just trim down.

Im 23 and only 5'2 so in my opinion I should be fairly tiny but I'm still in a 30/32 suit and a 38 chest. Is it too far fetched to think I should be a 26/28 suit and a 34/36 chest, is that even possible? Thanks guys

nkfrench
June 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Just got back into swimming and joined a team. What are some different ways to get rid of body fat in the chest/stomach/thigh region? I don't necessarily want to build more muscle just trim down.

Im 23 and only 5'2 so in my opinion I should be fairly tiny but I'm still in a 30/32 suit and a 38 chest. Is it too far fetched to think I should be a 26/28 suit and a 34/36 chest, is that even possible? Thanks guys
Eat/drink fewer calories and get more daily activity. You can't pick which part of your body fat is lost from. Exercise should help you keep muscle during a calorie deficit.

You just joined a team - get acclimated to the workouts and take it easy with the nutrition. Likely your body is under plenty of stress already. Be patient.

orca1946
June 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
More workouts & less bad junk food going in = a better shape.

Bobinator
June 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I know you are young but building muscle mass makes your body burn more calories/fat when you workout. It's like a boost to your metabolism! Muscle mass is a great thing for females!

funkyfish
June 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Muscle will help burn fat. Unless you're juicing, you won't build huge manly muscles. Drink lots of water, eat as much unprocessed foods as possible. Get the right amount of sleep each night. You can't spot reduce, and the main key is to burn more than you take in. :bouncing:

cheakamus
June 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
People say you can't spot reduce, but I definitely lost belly fat after I stopped eating wheat last September. I noticed the difference within the first two weeks. My weight itself did not decrease dramatically—I lost maybe 5 pounds—but my abdomen became more "muscular" (still, unfortunately, a one pack). I actually tend to lose weight when I'm NOT swimming, as I don't eat as much. If you're interested in the wheat-free thing, here's a couple of web sites:
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2007/07/wheat-belly.html
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

__steve__
June 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Since you lost belly volume without expected mass, maybe you were alleregic to wheat and it was something else.

As far as using stored fat as energy I look at is as being consistant concerning areas that get tapped: Some areas will store or get tapped more than others, but how much and the extent remains the same*.

*slightly decreasing as you get older.

Back to the main thread point, Diet and weight lifting will provide the fastest results. Just consume slightly less than you burn, yet maintain required protein levels. This unfortunately requires discipline, trial and error, and close attention to how you feel.

aquajock
June 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I am much leaner now than I was as a high school/college swimmer and I attribute that to:
1 - better diet and less alcohol consumption - I avoid junk food and anything with lots of preservatives and each lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
2 - cross training activities which reduce my hunger whereas swimming increases it...
3 - I don't "diet." I just live healthy :)

Thrashing Slug
June 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Eat healthy.

Cook your own food.

Drink lots of water, and nothing but water. (Edit: and coffee. I'm not a sadist. But go easy on the cream & sugar)

Jog, walk, cycle, elliptical, stairmaster, etc. 3-4x per week, in addition to your normal training. Low intensity aerobic weight-bearing exercise for 30-60 minutes. Consider it active recovery from your hard training efforts.

Use the Daily Plate program on the livestrong.com website. Keep a log, and make sure you are burning more calories per day than you take in.

dbmata
June 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I stopped eating wheat last September.

Oh you gone done it!

I noticed the difference within the first two weeks. My weight itself did not decrease dramatically—I lost maybe 5 pounds—but my abdomen became more "muscular" (still, unfortunately, a one pack).
Same, while I'm still at the high end, and didn't just cut out wheat, but all grains for comfort reasons (grains wreck me, ranging from bringing out my asthma to internal issues and dermatitis)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
This right here is a great site, but it's not the only one out there. His thing is all about "going primal" which is basically tapering carbs to <100 grams per day, cutting out grains/legumes, and having wholesome veg, quality meats, and good fats as your diet. Veg/Fruits taking up 50-60% of your daily intake (by mass), rounded out by meats, nuts and oils. It's also primarily an insulin management style of eating, staying low on the GI scale. Since starting this I've cut about 90% of all grains and legumes out and feeling a lot better, better muscle definition - which means less fat, even though my weight has only moved about 2# in a month.

It's not the only way, it bucks "conventional wisdom", my ex-nutritionist hates it (so I fired her), and I think it works well for me. Basically though, reduce insulin load, and reduce stored carbs and you'll lose fat. (Clif's notes right there.)

You could always crosstrain.

ande
June 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
What are some different ways to get rid of body fat in the chest / stomach / thigh region?
LIPO but it's expensive and painful. There really isn't a way to target specific areas to lose fat.
Burn more than you consume.
Work out more, eat less.
Make better food choices.
Create a self image that you are a fit healthy person.

More muscle increases your resting metabolic rate.

Is it too far fetched to think I should be a 26/28 suit and a 34/36 chest, is that even possible?
you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to (within reason)

write your goals
make your plans
do your plans, do what you need to do when you need to do it

Be determined and consistent

cheakamus
June 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM
His thing is all about "going primal" which is basically tapering carbs to <100 grams per day, cutting out grains/legumes, and having wholesome veg, quality meats, and good fats as your diet. Veg/Fruits taking up 50-60% of your daily intake (by mass), rounded out by meats, nuts and oils. It's also primarily an insulin management style of eating, staying low on the GI scale.

That's pretty much it, alright. I'm not really sure in my case whether cutting out wheat per se is what made the difference, or whether it's due to the drastic decrease in carbs generally (homemade bread, pizza, pasta, etc. were a big part of my former diet). My wife, on the other hand, swears that cutting out wheat has "cured" her plantar fasciitis and knee joint pain, among other things.

Another aspect of this diet is that I'm rarely hungry, and never ravenous. The "good fats" (and here's where the controversy comes in) are saturated animal fats from pastured animals, i.e., butter, heavy cream, lard, etc., and they tend to be incredibly satiating. We do still consume a fair amount of olive oil, but other than that, tend to avoid saturated and polyunsaturated "seed oils."

I'm curious as to whether you too lost fat specifically in your abdomen when you gave up wheat (and grains generally). In my case, I guess most of my fat was in my abdomen anyway, but I was still pretty amazed by how specific the effect of going wheat free was. That's really why I've stayed on it all these months—I don't ever want to go back to having a roll of fat hanging over my belt!

swimlong
June 8th, 2011, 01:14 AM
you can't target body areas to lose fat, but you can improve the muscle tone of "problem areas". Regular core work will help you be firmer in the torso - which will make you feel better about your stomach.

Redbird Alum
June 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
(Not so seriously.... although I saw Lipo above....)

Flensing knife wielded by an experienced flenser. :agree:

lefty
June 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Run. If you are looking to get back into (swimming) competition run a couple of times per week till you trim down to where you want to be. Then stick with swimming exclusively.

Peter Cruise
June 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Sadly, watch the booze intake. Great source for hidden empty calories...

cheakamus
June 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM
you can't target body areas to lose fat, but you can improve the muscle tone of "problem areas". Regular core work will help you be firmer in the torso - which will make you feel better about your stomach.

And I might add, "regular core work" can be as simple as making a conscious effort to hold your stomach in while maintaining an erect posture whenever you're walking. I used to let my belt take the strain; now my stomach muscles do the work.

GoFastFishy
June 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am much leaner now than I was as a high school/college swimmer and I attribute that to:
1 - better diet and less alcohol consumption - I avoid junk food and anything with lots of preservatives and each lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
2 - cross training activities which reduce my hunger whereas swimming increases it...
3 - I don't "diet." I just live healthy :)

This is gonna sound really dumb but I don't eat fruits or veggies with the exception of Jamba Juice:) never have..so what are good foods to eat that will still help with losing weight/having a healthy diet.

Jazz Hands
June 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
This is gonna sound really dumb but I don't eat fruits or veggies with the exception of Jamba Juice:) never have..so what are good foods to eat that will still help with losing weight/having a healthy diet.

The answer is still fruits and veggies. And nothing from Jamba Juice, ever.

__steve__
June 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Jambajuse- someones profit at the expense ofanothers health?

orca1946
June 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
LOts of not so good for you things taste GREAT !!!!!!:chug::badday:

knelson
June 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The answer is still fruits and veggies.

Agreed. Now is a good time to start eating them.

ElaineK
June 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM

Why don't you eat fruits or vegetables? Aren't there any that you like? If not, I'm going to guess you may have been raised on fruits and veggies that came out of a can or veggies that were cooked to DEATH. Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies- if it is cooked properly. If it is overcooked, though, it is disgusting! And, a fresh Georgia peach compared to those "peaches" that come out of a can? There is no comparison.

Fishy, the other posters are right: Eat fruits and veggies! Just because you never have doesn't mean you can't start now. They are a must for good health! But, stay away from those cans at the supermarket. If you have access to a farmer's market, you will find the freshest and best tasting produce there. You will be amazed at how wonderful really fresh produce tastes compared to the produce that sits around in the supermarket for days!

__steve__
June 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Them GA peaches are awsome.

Anyway, I can eat broccoli raw though, about an entire stalk as appetizers - yummy

knelson
June 21st, 2011, 01:35 AM
But, stay away from those cans at the supermarket.

The rule of thumb is to buy the bulk of your food from the perimeter of the grocery store. Avoid the aisles in the middle with all the crappy packaged and processed stuff.

ElaineK
June 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
The rule of thumb is to buy the bulk of your food from the perimeter of the grocery store. Avoid the aisles in the middle with all the crappy packaged and processed stuff.

Exactly! :applaud:

aquageek
June 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM

This is why I prefer grocery stores with beer, coffee, and chips on the perimeter and vegetables and yogurt-esque junk in the middle.

qbrain
June 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
This is why I prefer grocery stores with beer, coffee, and chips on the perimeter and vegetables and yogurt-esque junk in the middle.

A gas station is not the same thing as a grocery store.

thewookiee
June 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM

It's not? Damn. Guess I will have to change my place of shopping now.

aquageek
June 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM

Um, since when? (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkin-freezer-us-cooler/4158161135/lightbox/)

__steve__
June 21st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Will even moderate amounts of bodyfat slow a swimmer down in the first place?

Probably the opposite. Its just not in style these days to have a layer of fat under the skin.

cheakamus
June 21st, 2011, 11:46 PM

Or better yet, don't go to the grocery store at all. Visit your local farmers' market, grow some of your own veg, keep a few chickens, or buy stuff on line: http://eatwild.com/

knelson
June 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Or better yet, don't go to the grocery store at all.

Sounds good, but baby steps might be in order for someone who doesn't eat fruits and vegetables at all.

qbrain
June 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds good, but baby steps might be in order for someone who doesn't eat fruits and vegetables at all.

Step 1: Stop buying your groceries at a gas station.

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM

Step 2: Watch southerners tar and feather gbrain for trying to take away their daily requirements for ding dongs, little debbie's, and twinkies

aquageek
June 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM

This is crazy talk. Next thing you will tell us is that Hostess Fruit Pies don't count as fruit. Weird.

fmracing
June 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
It would seem geek and I agree on many things food.

My method...

1) consume large quantities of cheeseburgers, pizza, and beer every day.
2) Swim more, weight still drops.
3)
4) Profit

Weight hasn't gone away nearly as fast as waist sizes... so it apparently works even better on the fat loss than the weight loss :)

nkfrench
June 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Both the QuikTrip and 7-11 c-stores are providing healthier choices. I get a tub of chopped up raw fruit (mango/strawberry/kiwi) or a banana there along with a morning coffee and a turkey sandwich for lunch+snack. They also have individual-size packs of finger vegs (ignore the ranch dip). Not cheap, but definitely convenient; and you can do worse health-wise.

aquageek
June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Both the QuikTrip and 7-11 c-stores are providing healthier choices. I get a tub of chopped up raw fruit (mango/strawberry/kiwi) or a banana there along with a morning coffee and a turkey sandwich for lunch+snack. They also have individual-size packs of finger vegs (ignore the ranch dip). Not cheap, but definitely convenient; and you can do worse health-wise.

As long as I can still get spray cheese in a can they can make all the unfortunate healthy choices they want.

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM

Q, take a look at Geek in the family portrait. Do you know how hard he had to work to get that body?

ps. He is on the left.

Jazz Hands
June 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I thought I might add something about how I personally like to lose body fat. Basically: high protein. A high-protein diet causes a reduction in appetite, and also causes more muscle mass to be saved when you lose weight, meaning you lose more fat instead.

Here's an easy guide. When shopping for food, look at the nutrition facts. The two numbers you'll be interested in are calories and grams of protein. A high-protein food will have a 10:1 ratio of calories to grams of protein. That means 40% of calories from protein. Generally, I don't eat a lot of anything with less than 20%, which is a 20:1 ratio on the label. Some examples from my kitchen right now:

Greek yogurt with fruit (and sugar :))
Calories: 110
Protein: 13g
Ratio: better than 10:1
This is a high-protein food. Eat lots of it.

Bread
Calories: 110
Protein: 5g
Ratio: almost 20:1
This is not as bad as, say, Doritos, but don't eat it freely. Make a sandwich with lean meat (very high in protein) to get the overall ratio higher.

Don't forget to count condiments and cooking oils. They usually are pretty calorie dense with no protein.

I don't really count calories in fruits and veggies, even though they are low in protein, since it's hard to overeat those and they have their own benefits.

This is just a system that's based on some well-accepted science and easy math. It works quite well for me, and it's easy to follow.

Allen Stark
June 22nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Want whole grain,concentrated and liquified(and fermented)-beer.
Want fruit,concentrated,liquified(fermented)-wine
True health foods.

ElaineK
June 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Want whole grain,concentrated and liquified(and fermented)-beer.
Want fruit,concentrated,liquified(fermented)-wine
True health foods.

:lmao: Good one, King Frog! Although my thoughts on food and diet are more along the lines of Knelson and Jazz, I'll give you a :applaud: for this one! Hey, beer and wine is perfectly fine, if consumed in moderation, along with a healthy diet. Same goes for chocolate! :cheerleader:

Now, if I can ever beat last fall's breaststroke PB's, I have a nice bottle of champagne waiting for me in my wine cabinet... :D

jaadams1
June 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM

I eat anywhere between 30-50% of my meals from gas stations/fast food places. This may even be a low number. It's just much easier than having to try to make something at home before going to work. And cheaper if you stick with the dollar menus!! :banana:

Oh yes, and I'm still swimming fast, maintaining body weight, and feeling good.

fmracing
June 22nd, 2011, 11:01 PM
I eat anywhere between 30-50% of my meals from gas stations/fast food places. This may even be a low number. It's just much easier than having to try to make something at home before going to work. And cheaper if you stick with the dollar menus!! :banana:

Oh yes, and I'm still swimming fast, maintaining body weight, and feeling good.

Carry on! :)

Woofus B. Loofus
June 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
A couple of thoughts on GoFastFishy's original query, which was basically how to trim down through the middle of the body while getting into masters swimming.

Points have been made about the need to burn more calories than the body takes in: no other way to lose weight. And that as one increases exercise, through masters swimming and other activities, the body'll need more protein. Even if the direct goal is not to build muscle mass. I rely on pure protein shakes I get pretty cheap at Costco.

The real reason I logged on to this thread was to relate a mantra I once heard a balletmaster deliver to her young charges (imagine thick Russian accent):

"The form of the exercise becomes the form of the body."

That's why the ballerinas all look pretty different at age 10, similar enough by age 15, and almost indistinguishable when they're in a corps de ballet on stage at age 20. The same exact physical discipline, exercised over a period of years, produced very similar results. For the same reason, swimmers tend to develop similar morphologies over time. Even accounting for the pre-selection that occurs in highly competitive disciplines like ballet or swimming.

In order to stretch the middle of your body out through swimming (like a salt water taffy stretching machine), the key is to lengthen your strokes and your body as much as possible at all times. Try to feel your skin stretching over your hip and stomach muscles every time you pull with your arms. Or become a very straight torpedo as you push off from the wall. These are just examples. The general principle: maximize the length of your strokes, and the length of your body as you do the strokes. It also helps if you can do these lengthening drills for longer workouts. The sustained effort not only burns more calories, it imprints that long, thin barracuda shape through repetition.

As far as dryland exercise, using your own body weight for resistance has many advantages in body shaping. Chinups, pullups, pushups, dips, handstands, etc., assisted or otherwise, not only accentuate body lengthening, they help develop a kinesthetic sense that is so important in the pool. There are probably some other forumites –women in particular – who can attest to the advantages of exercises that use one's own body weight for resistance.

Finally, stretching exercises that loosen up and lengthen the middle of the body can be very helpful in reshaping. Combined with pronounced diaphragmatic breathing, the middle of the body can become a much more active participant in the overall movement of the body.

Hope that helps...

ElaineK
June 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
the key is to lengthen your strokes and your body as much as possible at all times. Try to feel your skin stretching over your hip and stomach muscles every time you pull with your arms. Or become a very straight torpedo as you push off from the wall. These are just examples. The general principle: maximize the length of your strokes, and the length of your body as you do the strokes.

PPS! :applaud: ;)

In support of what Woofus is recommending, this approach has really worked for me. Although at 5'71/2" and 120 pounds I am not looking to lose body fat, keeping, uh, DPS in mind as I swim has strengthened and transformed my body. I feel more powerful in the water and have reduced my stroke count. (Now, if I can just get my times down... :bolt:)