PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga River Rat Race

srcoyote
June 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
The 2011 version is this weekend. I'm swimming the 4.5 mile swim. Was comparing winning times from 2009 to those of 2010.

Winning time in 2009 was 0:58:41. Winning time in 2010 was 1:38:24. So I went to the TVA web-site for some info. It apparently all has to do with the reservoir levels up river. The TVA holds these levels at a maximum from June 1 into September for recreation and fisheries releasing only enough water to meet minimum downstream requirements. This year the reservoirs are high again. So depending upon when the release schedule, this Saturday's swim could be on the fast side again.

It's these things about which I will obsess all week before my first OW swim this season and my first time at this race.:bliss:

Kingsj
June 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm glad you posted that! I will be there, too, but I was going to pace for a 2hr race. Sounds like it may be significantly shorter. Thanks!!

Lump
June 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I swam it in 2009, but not last year. Glad to see the possibility of it being another fast race. One thing to consider....in 2009 we got a big headwind at turn in the river. We came around the bend and the wind forced the water up and it was like swimming in ocean chop for about 15 minutes. That wasn't too fun!

I'll be there Saturday. I think I'm gonna ride my motorcycle up Sat AM. Gonna have to leave home about 5ish AM. Argh!

Lump
June 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Final Results:

http://chattanoogaratrace.com/2011_Chattanooga_Rat_Race_4.5_mile_Overall_and_Age _Group_Results.html

srcoyote
June 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for posting, Jeff. It was great to meet you on Saturday.

Lump
June 13th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting, Jeff. It was great to meet you on Saturday.

Same to you David! Good luck with the rest of the summer swims!