PDA

View Full Version : Old tech suit in triathlons?

Atlantic
June 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
This may be a stupid question, but I'm still curious...

I have an unused nike swift kneeskin (silicone straps) and I was wondering if it's legal to wear something like this in a triathlon?

I have read over the USAT rules and it seems to only address wetsuits.

Thanks!

pwb
June 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm not expert, but if wetsuits are allowed (almost always done in triathlons), old tech suits should be fine. I've done swim portions at Ironmans where I was on a relay and I wore a B70 no problems.

couldbebetterfly
June 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I did a USAT OW swim last year and wore my old (lightly used) Speedo long-leg fastskin. I checked with the meet director first - her response was something like "It'll be 2015 before USAT brings in any swimwear rules, so wear whatever you want"

Atlantic
June 7th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thank you both! That is great news!

I think I will show my suit to the race director/ref at check-in the day before. I have quite a few tri relays this summer, so it'd be nice to use that suit for them!

lefty
June 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thank you both! That is great news!

I think I will show my suit to the race director/ref at check-in the day before. I have quite a few tri relays this summer, so it'd be nice to use that suit for them!

Exactly. And if you want to hit the mother-load go buy a JAKED speedsuit. They can be had for $140 or so (depending on exchange rate). Take a look at their sizing chart and add 4 sizes, though. I have a 28 that I will be giving to my son will wear at summer league meets when he is 11.

Atlantic
June 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Exactly. And if you want to hit the mother-load go buy a JAKED speedsuit. They can be had for $140 or so (depending on exchange rate). Take a look at their sizing chart and add 4 sizes, though. I have a 28 that I will be giving to my son will wear at summer league meets when he is 11.

I actually got two nike swifts several months ago for ten bucks a piece. That low price was due to a mistake in shipping (ebay) and they gave me a super amazing deal.