PDA

View Full Version : Take Your Prozac and Other Unsolicited Advice

aquajock
June 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
In an organization of people who love swimming who could use using the forums to come closer together, it is discouraging to see people launching venom at each other. Someone made a comment recently about how no women were posting on one thread that was getting especially nasty.

Why would we want to when we risk getting our head bitten off for offering our POV? I seek to exchange information and make new friends, not get psychotic people on my back....

Thrashing Slug
June 6th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Glad I missed that thread. I guess I've been too busy swimming 5x/wk :D

Herb
June 6th, 2011, 10:30 PM
This place is kind of boring without a little controversy or trash talking, but I guess I can see what you mean. In my three years of Masters swimming I've found everyone to be overwhelmingly friendly and open. I don't know if the Masters I swim is different than everywhere else or I have just been oblivious to all this drama that is going on.
I think it is just message board drama and I have to admit I kind of like some of it. How many threads can we have about what goggles we wear?
I do really enjoy the technique opinions and I am very grateful of the advice I got. But I wouldn't be offended if someone told me I sucked.

aquajock
June 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=Herb;244718]This place is kind of boring without a little controversy or trash talking, but I guess I can see what you mean. QUOTE]

I think controversy is fine. But when someone who is obviously jealous of a swimmer's accomplishments does a lot of name calling, even going as far as to call her a cheater, that is just not right. No one has been rude to me, but I don't like to see others getting chewed up like that...

knelson
June 6th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Sorry, I'm missing the venom. Obviously sandbagging is a hot button issue here but I think everyone has remained civil in the thread.

edit: OK, going back and reading a couple posts I see where you're coming from.

aquajock
June 6th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Yeah, um, well I would have to disagree that the sandbagging thread has remained civil. For example....

Originally Posted by stillwater http://forums.usms.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
Wow, I'd love to see the results of your "poll". I'm sure the questions weren't biased, and the polled group was a reflection of women swimmers who compete at meets. Entering a 36 when you did a 30? Come on.

In our little forum discussion you don't have too many female supporters. Perhaps they don't like being edged out of a top ten time by someone who knowingly doesn't follow the rules.

Just because others cheat doesn't let you off the hook. I wonder how many top ten times you have where you knowingly entered a false time to gain an advantage over your fellow competitors. Perhaps a little s behind your name would make it better.

That Guy
June 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
So this is a meta-thread about the other thread? Sweet, I love meta-threads! Meta is where it's at, baby! Though really, it's difficult to find much support for noodlers. Masters swimmers are almost unanimous against them it seems. Thus the continued calls for their extermination. :dunno:

ande
June 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
In an organization of people who love swimming who could use using the forums to come closer together, it is discouraging to see people launching venom at each other. Someone made a comment recently about how no women were posting on one thread that was getting especially nasty.

Why would we want to when we risk getting our head bitten off for offering our POV? I seek to exchange information and make new friends, not get psychotic people on my back....

Can she get an AMEN?

Bobinator
June 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I was so happy when I discovered I can block certain forumites and their comments and replies. It's not that I mind a wide variety of opinions and personalities, but there are just some people on this forum I'd rather not read.
Try it, it makes the whole forum experience very pleasant. :)

fmracing
June 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah that one is gettin kinda brutal. Behavior there has me questioning whether a trip to nationals next year is worth taking and even if I want to renew and just go back to usas meets. :confused: Thinking about that kind of drama before a race causes more drag than my huge beer gut does. :blush:

aquajock
June 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah that one is gettin kinda brutal. Behavior there has me questioning whether a trip to nationals next year is worth taking and even if I want to renew and just go back to usas meets. :confused: Thinking about that kind of drama before a race causes more drag than my huge beer gut does. :blush:

If it makes you feel better, I can honestly say most of the Masters swimmers I've met are wonderful people. In any community, there will always be someone who prefers to be nasty instead of nice.

Allen Stark
June 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I also thought that thread was veering into dangerous territory and basically quit following it.I don't mind controversy,but I agree that personal attacks are not in the spirit of what I want these forums to be about.

chowmi
June 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I like this thread. It's for people that are sandbagging the sandbaggers thread!

That Guy
June 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I wonder how many people have me blocked... :rolleyes:

Is there a leaderboard? :D

Bobinator
June 7th, 2011, 11:16 PM

I figure it's a 1-1 ratio, for every person I have blocked there's probably one blocking me.

__steve__
June 7th, 2011, 11:54 PM
No wonder my post's recieve little response, they're being filtered.

That Guy
June 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
No wonder my post's recieve little response, they're being filtered.

Not by me! I'm just disinterested! (Kidding! Probably! :))

swimshark
June 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM
If it makes you feel better, I can honestly say most of the Masters swimmers I've met are wonderful people. In any community, there will always be someone who prefers to be nasty instead of nice.

I agree!

ElaineK
June 8th, 2011, 10:43 AM

If there is, I'm sure I lead it, due to the :bitching: about my color, font, and Smilies! :bolt:

aquajock
June 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I was so happy when I discovered I can block certain forumites and their comments and replies. It's not that I mind a wide variety of opinions and personalities, but there are just some people on this forum I'd rather not read.
Try it, it makes the whole forum experience very pleasant. :)

How do you do this? And does the block person know he/she is being filtered out?

tjburk
June 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Can she get an AMEN?

You just got to expect this from me...

AMEN!!!

Bobinator
June 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
How do you do this? And does the block person know he/she is being filtered out?

Hi Aquajock! It's very easy! Go up to User CP (upper left in the blue) and click it. Next go to Settings and Options, click Edit Ignore LIst and type the person's name or screen name into the field. I don't think they know they are blocked. I only have 1 person blocked and I seriously doubt if they know. I doubt if they care either! :)

chowmi
June 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
And even if you block him/her, if someone references their post in a quote, you still can't get away from them. Very annoying when they come back to the forums with a different username; you have to block them yet again!

Peter Cruise
June 8th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I have found the vast majority of masters swimmers that I have met to be outstanding, open and kind. The occasional individual seems to surface who seems all about personal attacks on these forums, that I could do without.

aquajock
June 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
And even if you block him/her, if someone references their post in a quote, you still can't get away from them. Very annoying when they come back to the forums with a different username; you have to block them yet again!

I wish the system administrators would bar some of these people.

swimmerb212
June 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
So this is a meta-thread about the other thread? Sweet, I love meta-threads! Meta is where it's at, baby! Though really, it's difficult to find much support for noodlers. Masters swimmers are almost unanimous against them it seems. Thus the continued calls for their extermination. :dunno:

I'm gonna say it. I like noodlers. Swimming back and forth is boring, unidentified floating objects give you something to aim for and swim around.

Controversy!

Bobinator
June 8th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I have found the vast majority of masters swimmers that I have met to be outstanding, open and kind. The occasional individual seems to surface who seems all about personal attacks on these forums, that I could do without.

Hi Peter! I agree most swimmer's and Forum Folks are extremely kind, generous, open, friendly, and amazing people. Sometimes certain people can strike a "wrong chord" with you and cause you to be annoyed for whatever reason just based on what they say and how they say it. In my opinion it's a great option to just block them and not deal with them at all as opposed to publicly assaulting them on the forum. This is just my simpleton opinion and it works for me. :angel: ps...I rarely get annoyed at anyone ever.

That Guy
June 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
ps...I rarely get annoyed at anyone ever.

I'm always up for a challenge... or maybe I can just trick jaadams1 into it. :agree:

Bobinator
June 9th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'm always up for a challenge... or maybe I can just trick jaadams1 into it. :agree:

I wish I could get some of that stuff!!

jaadams1
June 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM

I probably could...but I'd hate to get blocked by someone. I'm not that mean...until we get on the blocks to race!! :banana:

Chicken of the Sea
June 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I wish I could get some of that stuff!!

don't do it, Bob. I think it's a suppository.

__steve__
June 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM
prozac They still market that stuff?

I think Ritalin would be a superior choice

Bobinator
June 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Well since I'm full of s _ _ t it might come in handy! jk!

That Guy
June 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM

For Godzilla?