PDA

View Full Version : Your own pool or not?

renie
June 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
For all you chlorine addicted swimmers out there, who do not have their own pool, what would be some reasons you would not install a lap pool in your yard (assuming you had the money and room for a pool). I have wanted to buy a house just so I can put in a pool to swim in, however, I have a bit of motion sensitivity, and the rockier the water, the worse I feel. I'm thinking that a lap pool would be very choppy. That's the only reason I haven't moved yet. What would be your reasons?

jaadams1
June 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I've got plenty of room (1/2 acre), and plenty of desire to have a lap pool of my own, but I don't have plenty of $$$. Plus it could only be used outdoors a few months of the year. Way too much more $$$ to cover it.
Cheaper just to swim for free with the local masters team in the mornings. :D

pwolf66
June 7th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I voted other because there is no reason (other than can't afford it) that I wouldn't have my own 2x25m lap pool.

Bobinator
June 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have a 20 yard pool in my backyard. I love my pool and use it for workouts here and there. I built the pool when my kids were little, I had a full time job, I was a single parent, and my schedule just wouldn't allow me to go out somewhere and swim. I used it daily back then.
I'll try to attach a picture of the pool.
If I had it to do over I would make it a full 25 yards, have a line painted on the bottom, and might make it a little wider too. The care of the pool hasn't been too much of an ordeal; I like yard work however!
The pool has an automatic cover; I love that aspect as it keeps it safe and secure from kids, trespassers, or animals on the prowl.
Oh, my pool can be a little choppy, especially when 2 people are swimming. I don't mind the chop and feel it simulates choppy ow lake swimming! :)

Bobinator
June 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Here''s the pool: 2820

KatieK
June 7th, 2011, 09:05 PM
When I first moved to Arizona, I couldn't wait to get my own pool. But, we fell in love with a house that wasn't ideal for building one.

I am glad it worked out that way. I'm in a pool or a lake at least once a day, but I don't think I'd ever get in my own pool. I like swimming with other people, and the public/semi-public pools around here are nicer than anything we would have built.

Plus, I'd rather shower and get ready in the locker room and be done with it before I get home.

renie
June 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM
bobinator, love your pool. I'd definitely be using that more often than not. I am not into early morning master swims, and late evening is too late for me. If I didn't have such motion sickness issues (swimming free makes it really worse), I'd be in a house with a 25 yd. pool and a lane line on the bottom!

analazy
June 8th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Would have my own pool, 25m*3m if had money, love to train alone and have my own lane:applaud:
Though, the plan for the rural tourism here , at the farm, is to built a 25*4m pool…:cheerleader: if Europe’s economical situation improves and Portugal does not declares bankruptcy:badday:

Michael Heather
June 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM
For all you chlorine addicted swimmers out there, who do not have their own pool, what would be some reasons you would not install a lap pool in your yard (assuming you had the money and room for a pool). I have wanted to buy a house just so I can put in a pool to swim in, however, I have a bit of motion sensitivity, and the rockier the water, the worse I feel. I'm thinking that a lap pool would be very choppy. That's the only reason I haven't moved yet. What would be your reasons?

Poor excuse. If you have the opportunity, funds and desire, there is no reason not to get a pool. Even one with limited space can be made smooth with a couple of lane lines. They are not very expensive and do the job.

aquajock
June 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I love swimming in my own pool but it is only 40 feet long, so I don't get much of a workout. I just ordered an AquaVee so I can swim in place. When I try it, I will let you all know how it works!

moodyrichardson
June 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hmmm, how does that song by the Bare Naked Ladies go..."if I had a million dollars...":2cents: I'd definitely have my own lap pool, if I had the funds to do it right now. That would be my idea of heaven to walk out my back door to a pool!

Redbird Alum
June 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Up north, it would have to be indoors, at least 25 yds, with a retractable roof for summer, enclosed in winter. Oh, and a diving well.

Oh what the heck, if money were no object, 50 M by 25 Yd, at least 12 lanes, separate diving well, still with the retractable roof, plenty of locker room and deck space with a viewing area and separate lounge, weight room, and juice bar. (Then, when I wasn't doing laps, I could rent it out to all the nearby high schools and hold the State meet in it!

All I need to do it hit the lottery!

smontanaro
June 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Oh what the heck, if money were no object, 50 M by 25 Yd, at least 12 lanes, separate diving well, still with the retractable roof, plenty of locker room and deck space with a viewing area and separate lounge, weight room, and juice bar.

Here's the perfect property (http://www.mpirealestate.com/62FE1C/assets/files/brochures/Evanston%20-%20Kendall%20College%20-%20PRICE%20REDUCED.pdf) on which to build your swim palace.

Skip

pwb
June 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oh what the heck, if money were no object, 50 M by 25 Yd, at least 12 lanes, separate diving well, still with the retractable roof, plenty of locker room and deck space with a viewing area and separate lounge, weight room, and juice bar. (Then, when I wasn't doing laps, I could rent it out to all the nearby high schools and hold the State meet in it!

All I need to do it hit the lottery!There is an empty property in Scottsdale that, every time I drive by, I tell my wife it'll be where I build a true natatorium. The building shell is there, might need to raise the roof a bit, but I'm thinking two indoor 50M pools so we can finally swim and race in a climate-controlled environment here in the Arizona summers and winters ... just need to hit the lottery as well.

orca1946
June 9th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I do MUCH better with others!!

Bobinator
June 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I like to work on technique and kicking alone in my pool. I also give special needs kids and embarrassed teen-agers lessons in my pool, usually free but I may start charging if things here in Indiana get much worse for school teachers!

EJB190
June 10th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I have a pool and as the only son, it falls on me to maintain the pool. It's a 20x40 which although is much bigger than your average pool, its not good for laps. Most of my friends have pools have exotic shapes which are even worse for laps.

I don't really feel like owning a pool is worth it. They're expensive to build, chemicals aren't cheap, if you get a leak you're in big trouble, and they're time consuming to keep clean. Work can be avoided if you have a son (me) or a $300/wk pool boy.

You're gym membership, no matter how expensive, is a better deal. Pools are fun though when you're little and all you want to do is screw around with your friends.

nhc
June 11th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Your own pool. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000548/Black-bear-takes-dip-womans-hot-tub.html)

Black bear takes a dip in woman's hot tub (But was the water too hot, too cold or just right?)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/07/article-2000548-0C7502AB00000578-974_634x389.jpg Surprise: The black bear was caught swimming in a family's hot tub last week just two miles from Wekiwa Springs State Park

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/07/article-2000548-0C7502C700000578-376_634x371.jpg Cooling off: The bear broke through the screen and decided to have a rest in the family hot tub

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/07/article-2000548-0C7502F600000578-359_634x366.jpg Gone again: As quickly as he arrived he left again after quenching his thirst

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/07/article-2000548-0C7502E700000578-949_634x425.jpg Damage: The black bear left a huge hole in the pool screen where he had broken through to try and reach the water in the summer heat

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/lRg8RCVV3jNzdz75b8cdog--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00NzM7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/152/2011/06/10/Bear5_181029.jpg

jessicafk11
June 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM
We don't have the room for it. I also do not have the money to build it. Being in CT, it would have to be indoors. I'd love to have something that close that I didn't have to share with other people. While I like swimming with the people I know, some days I just want to be alone!

sydned
June 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have a pool and although I fought my husband on it, thinking it was the most crazy decadent thing we could ever have done, I LOVE IT. One lane, 25 yards. Yes, it gets choppy, but as an open water freak, I consider it good training. In Massachusetts, it only made sense to do it indoors, and yes, I know we went a bit overboard.

People used to come to our house and say, "You built a pool? Have you seen your kitchen?" since the pool was quite a bit nicer than our house. Anyway, well worth it.

Bobinator
June 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I love your pool Syned! I toy around with the idea of enclosing mine but since it's only 20 yards long I can't bring myself to do it.

knelson
June 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I love your pool Syned!

Me too! Very nice. Yours isn't too shabby either, Bobinator.

renie
June 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have a pool and as the only son, it falls on me to maintain the pool. It's a 20x40 which although is much bigger than your average pool, its not good for laps. Most of my friends have pools have exotic shapes which are even worse for laps.

I don't really feel like owning a pool is worth it. They're expensive to build, chemicals aren't cheap, if you get a leak you're in big trouble, and they're time consuming to keep clean. Work can be avoided if you have a son (me) or a $300/wk pool boy.

EJB, why isn't it "good for laps?" Too short? Too choppy?

Whoa! $300 a week for a pool boy! I should give up teaching!:D

renie
June 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I have a pool and although I fought my husband on it, thinking it was the most crazy decadent thing we could ever have done, I LOVE IT. One lane, 25 yards. Yes, it gets choppy, but as an open water freak, I consider it good training. In Massachusetts, it only made sense to do it indoors, and yes, I know we went a bit overboard.

People used to come to our house and say, "You built a pool? Have you seen your kitchen?" since the pool was quite a bit nicer than our house. Anyway, well worth it.

Wow, I love your pool! That's pretty much what I would want as well. I don't need a lot of excess yardage, however, my problem is that I have an inner ear disorder (Possibly Meniere's - although I'm in denial about it), so excess motion (too much wave or choppiness) can bring on vertigo attacks that can leave me bedridden for days. That's the ONLY reason I am putting it off. Even in the athletic facilities with 5 lanes, if the pool gets crowded, I start to get disoriented. It stinks.:drowning:

EJB190
June 12th, 2011, 02:48 AM
EJB, why isn't it "good for laps?" Too short? Too choppy?

Whoa! $300 a week for a pool boy! I should give up teaching!:D

The problem I have is 40 ft (13.3 yards, which is larger than most backyard pools) is way too short to swim laps in. After making a flip turn your about half way down the pool. Another couple strokes and you're at the wall again. The walls aren't designed to absorb the wake either so it gets a little choppy, but I actually don't mind choppiness (I find it motivating?), though a lot of water can get out of the pool. Additionally, the stairs of my pool are at the end which gives you a very narrow area to kick off of when turning and then your basically swimming 1ft from the wall. For this reason, forget butterfly... and backstroke becomes a little dangerous (esp with the lack of flags). Plus, its only useful for a few months out of the year in New England.

All in all though, its not exactly a enjoyable experience. I mean, Its good for practicing flip turns I guess. Sometimes I do a quick wake up swim or if I don't have time to make it to the lap pool.

We don't have the room for it. I also do not have the money to build it. Being in CT, it would have to be indoors. I'd love to have something that close that I didn't have to share with other people. While I like swimming with the people I know, some days I just want to be alone!

Hello to another CT member. I think we all have those days when we want to swim alone and not have to deal with other "idiots" in our lane or the lanes next to us haha (refer to swim rant thread).

EJB190
June 12th, 2011, 02:53 AM

That is absolutely gorgeous. The architecture is really nice. I'd to have something like that in my backyard.

I will say though, for my outdoor pool, this automatic cover is the best invention ever. It keeps so many leaves and bugs, as well as dirt, out of the pool. It also keeps the water and chemicals in. All you do is turn a key and in a couple seconds the pool is open. Turn the key the other way and its closed.
YouTube - ‪Automatic swimming pool covers, poolcovers for safety‬‏

sydned
June 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the pool compliments. When I say I have a pool, I think people typically picture some above ground thing laden with pool toys. Needless to say, they are generally shocked.

I add my endorsement of the automatic cover. So easy, and makes me feel much safer with a child. Our town, in all it's bureaucratic wisdom, was going to make us put a fence around the building, "because pools must be fenced", even though it locks completely, and the cover was the only thing that let us get away with no fence.

I also like the idea that we don't have to use as many chemicals because it doesn't get all kinds of junk in it. And, of course, there aren't endless kids, um, doing things in it. Just kids we know.

Can't imagine how hard it must be to be a swimmer with vertigo. I have serious sinus and allergy issues and sometimes get dizzy in the pool when I turn. Bedridden must be awful!

Good luck with it and thanks again everyone!

EJB190
June 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
My neighbors across the street have an indoor lap pool. Not as nearly as fancy as the one here. They're in their late 60's, kids are out of the house, and they don't use it at all. They're extremely loaded, heirs to a certain famous Cheese manufacturing company fortune. I REALLY REALLY want to maybe borrow it, ONLY for a couple hours, 4-5 times a week.

By the way, your indoor pool reminds me of the famous Phillip Johnson Glass House in New Canaan, CT. I believe a couple years ago it was voted one of the ugliest homes in America (not that I think your pool is ugly).

Bobinator
June 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous. The architecture is really nice. I'd to have something like that in my backyard.

I will say though, for my outdoor pool, this automatic cover is the best invention ever. It keeps so many leaves and bugs, as well as dirt, out of the pool. It also keeps the water and chemicals in. All you do is turn a key and in a couple seconds the pool is open. Turn the key the other way and its closed.
YouTube - ‪Automatic swimming pool covers, poolcovers for safety‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbOqRL0tW8&feature=related)

I totally agree! I love my automatic cover! Apparently they are so durable you can drive a car over them! I have never tried this.

Herc130
June 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I don't have the space or funds for such things without really putting myself out there. Also single and swim at different gyms. One of my gyms has multiple locations with nice and wide 4 to 6 lane 25m lap pools that are outdoors as well as a smaller (less lanes) lap pool indoors. They also have a pool just for splashing around. Most people at nearly all the locations I use do not lap swim. I always have a nice wide lane to myself if not the whole pool. But this is the main reason.....there are always really hot girls in the hot tube near the pool and I always workout harder because of this :blush: