PDA

View Full Version : goggles for outdoor swimming

2fish&1whale
June 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm currently using dark, not mirrored, goggles for outdoor swimming, and I'm still blinded by sun light. Will switching to mirrored make a difference, or are there any goggles that are specifically suitable for outdoor swimming? My son is also running into problems with his dark prescription goggles byTYR, any alternatives that might help?
I'd hate to switch back to our indoor Y just so I don't have to swim backstroke blind!:cool:

jaadams1
June 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm currently using dark, not mirrored, goggles for outdoor swimming, and I'm still blinded by sun light. Will switching to mirrored make a difference, or are there any goggles that are specifically suitable for outdoor swimming? My son is also running into problems with his dark prescription goggles byTYR, any alternatives that might help?
I'd hate to switch back to our indoor Y just so I don't have to swim backstroke blind!:cool:

My personal solution is that I don't swim backstroke outdoors (or at least try not to - IMs are not backstroke) :) Only in competitions, and I just use the dark tinted swedes (non-mirrored). Just don't stare directly at the light!

Allen Stark
June 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
My wife is a backstroker and tells me the mirrored lenses make a big difference.

Lump
June 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM
My wife is a backstroker and tells me the mirrored lenses make a big difference.

They definitely do. I also wear my Vanquisher Plus's in sunny outdoor conditions....be it pool, OW, or swimming at the beach with the kids.

gdanner
June 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
As a northerner who has spent the vast majority of his life training indoors...I don't know how you people get used to doing back with the sun. I wore mirrored swedes for my open water 5K last weekend and that was fine. My least favorite part of training trips in college was doing IM sets because of the back in outdoor pools.

2fish&1whale
June 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I love back stroke, and can't imagine not swimming it.I'm gonna give mirrored ones a try.Still looking for prescription ones for my son-I'm tempted to take a sharpie to his older goggles to see if that makes a difference!

fmracing
June 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If smoked goggles aren't dark enough for you I bet you could get some of the tinting spray that people use to black out headlights on cars. That should make them darker. Nightshade i think is a brand name but theres gotta be others.

knelson
June 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM
tinting spray that people use to black out headlights on cars.

Wow, you learn something new every day...

I think mirrored goggles make a big difference. I always used them in sunny conditions outside.

orca1946
June 14th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I like mirrors also for the great outside!