PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Santa Clara International Grand Prix

androvski
June 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Psych sheets, results, streaming, etc (http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=2062&Alias=rainbow&Lang=en)

Interviews and videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/USASwimmingOrg#p/c/4C90FD8D19B665D3)

Brendan Hansen coming back, wooo! :D :cheerleader:

That Guy
June 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hansen just won his heat with a 2:15.10 :applaud:

Couroboros
June 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I just came back from prelims! So fun! :)

Phelps won his 100 fly after trailing behind Tyler McGill for the entire race. Even at the end, it looked like McGill would win by a hair, but then Phelps like literally teleported forward or something.

Cullen Jones did the first 50 of a 100 fly then got out. Guess he just wanted a 50 fly time?

That Guy
June 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
The "B Flight" heats are still going on. I just saw a woman swim the first 100 of the 200 breast and then stop. She was way ahead of the rest of the heat at that point, so it would appear she was going for a 100 time, but it's odd that she didn't finish the swim. :dunno:

androvski
June 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hansen just won his heat with a 2:15.10 :applaud:
It's a pretty decent time actually. I'm excited to see what he will do in the finals.

It's so cool that both Hansen and Moses are coming back. Can't wait to see them race each other again :D

pwolf66
June 19th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Whoops

knelson
June 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Looks like you're NOT taking after your father by excelling in sprints :D

Nice try, but Noah Copeland is Rob's son, not Bill!*

* OK, I'm assuming you were confusing the two. Maybe this Copeland is the son of another masters swimmer I don't know about.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Great hanging with a bunch of masters swimmers at the finals last night!

Watch for photos from Cokie Lepinski. She was shooting all over the place - and in the media booth for awhile with Rowdy and company!

Rowdy gave a terrific plug for USMS and the huge community of masters swimming in Northern CAL during Friday night's final live coverage. Since he presented at the Pacific's EXCEL Clinic the weekend before, he had the chance to experience it first hand and knew what he was talking about :)

I'm not what you would exactly describe as a breaststroker... but I am a fan. And the breaststroke racing has been awesome. That exhibition-like 50 breast race was a great final nightcap! Brendan Hansen - OW!!!

androvski
June 19th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wow, Phelps just lost the 200 fly to Nick D'arcy.

Karl_S
June 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Wow, Phelps just lost the 200 fly to Nick D'arcy.
That was a great race!
...and what's the deal with Todd Patrick swimming a 2:01.94 out of the C final? That would have placed him 8th overall.

knelson
June 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Ricardo Monasterio destroyed the masters WR in the 1500 free by going 15:51.52. The record in the 30-34 age group is/was 16:30. I'm assuming he can submit this as a master world record, correct?

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Ricardo Monasterio destroyed the masters WR in the 1500 free by going 15:51.52. The record in the 30-34 age group is/was 16:30. I'm assuming he can submit this as a master world record, correct?

No, FINA only recognizes WRs done at masters meets.

orca1946
June 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Is Phelps sand bagging ?

knelson
June 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM

OK, I thought I had heard that before.

ande
June 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Some USS meets are dual santioned USS & USMS and if Santa Clara was, that swim might count
If he was USMS registered and
if he or the meet officials submitted the proper paperwork and
if he sent in his birth Cert to Walt Reid.

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Some USS meets are dual santioned USS & USMS and if Santa Clara was, that swim might count
If he was USMS registered and
if he or the meet officials submitted the proper paperwork and
if he sent in his birth Cert to Walt Reid.

If the meet was dual sanctioned, he would have had to declare prior to the meet that he was competing as a masters swimmer, rather than as a USA-S swimmer. The form for doing this is here:

http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/gto_sanctions_declaration_of_intent.pdf

That would mean, for example, that he would have represented his USMS club and not competed in any relays for his USA-S team.

This is all from FINA, by the way, not USMS (which accepts swims at USA-S meets as national masters records as long as all the necessary paperwork is completed). It took a lot of persuading for FINA to even accept the dual-sanction concept.

spitzclone
September 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The "B Flight" heats are still going on. I just saw a woman swim the first 100 of the 200 breast and then stop. She was way ahead of the rest of the heat at that point, so it would appear she was going for a 100 time, but it's odd that she didn't finish the swim. :dunno:

Sorry for bumping the thread, as I know the event is over and has been for some time, but I have seen this happening more and more in our sport. Why are people continuously coming up short? I heard that there was a vendor at this event that even had deals (http://www.tanga.com/) on trinkets to add to your swimsuit. It seems like maybe some of these swimmers are more focused on the material things than the competition.