PDA

View Full Version : Stretching before swimming

mark_varney47
October 1st, 2003, 09:32 AM
I would be interested to know just how much stretching and other exercise people do before they start their training sessions.:D

jerrycat
October 1st, 2003, 10:06 AM
in the past--well, actually just about three months ago--I never did stretching. And, if I did it was 1 out of 10 swims...and in slacker style.

Now, after going through physical therapy for 2 months, I am a changed person. Before each swim I do shoulder stretches that my yoga instructor taught me--and also stretch during the swim, and after while in the steam room, or hot tub.

This has kep the pain away.

The thing to remember is that during your first few stretches, muscles are cold, and need to get warm...so don't push the flexability at first...as you stretch, muscles become warmer, and more flexable. Also, I think stretching before, during and after has kept soreness at bay.

;)
Jerrycat

WaterRat
October 1st, 2003, 12:42 PM
To prevent stretching cold muscles I usually do a warm up of 700 meters prior to stretching for 4-5 minutes.

Gil
October 1st, 2003, 05:31 PM
To prevent soreness and to feel great I stretch while taking a warm shower before entering the pool. About five minutes.

dpflyer
October 1st, 2003, 08:07 PM
Having recovered a couple times from debilitating tendonitis I make it a habit of stretching well before and after workouts.

MrEarl
October 2nd, 2003, 04:22 AM
A few minutes in a sauna, steam room or hot tub helps prepare muscles for strenuous excercise.

If the facility doesn't have one of these, I stretch under a hot shower for about ten minutes before entering the pool.

eliana2003
October 2nd, 2003, 06:14 AM
I've always been taught to stretch in the other sports that I've done- however, I don't really stretch before swimming... I do, however, usually do like 900-1200 yds or metres as a warm-up...

Gareth Eckley
October 2nd, 2003, 09:40 AM
I have a stretching routine that i always do before i get into the pool. Mostly taught to me by my Coach back in Canada.

I also stretch after the swim as well. I know that I should warm up in the water and then stretch. However in most pools when you get out of the water to do that you often lose your place in the lane.

There always seems to be some 'Head up breaststroker' or 'double arm backstroker' who seems to be desperate to join the Fast Lane and swim as SLOWLY as possible. They are just waiting for a chance to take your place.

I find that you have to keep them 'Psyched out' by swimming fast with lots of flip turns and Fly.

sparx35
October 2nd, 2003, 04:52 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ,very funny that gareth,made me laugh ,i can just picture the breastroker head up sneaking in when you get out to stretch then you trying to get by him 10 minutes later on his/her second 25m.....lol...ha ha ha ha...

Gareth Eckley
October 6th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Sparx 35

Today at my swim a "lady" joined my lane (the Fast Lane) just as I started my 100m Free interval set.

She wore no goggles, and therefore swum with her eyes closed ! She was a "head-up breaststroker" who also swum double arm backstroke flat on her back !

She wandered from one side of the lane to another, she would correct herself when she opened her eyes. For some reason she HAD to swim in the Fast Lane !

You just have to laugh because it is so crazy !

Gareth Eckley
October 6th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Sparx 35

Today at my swim a "lady" joined my lane (the Fast Lane) just as I started my 100m Free interval set.

She wore no goggles, and therefore swum with her eyes closed ! She was a "head-up breaststroker" who also swum double arm backstroke flat on her back.

She wandered from one side of the lane to another, she would correct herself when she opened her eyes. For some reason she HAD to swim in the Fast Lane !

I suppose it was my fault because i missed the chance to "psych" her out by swimming FLY.

You just have to laugh because it is so crazy !

jerrycat
October 6th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Gareth,

That would cause me to loose it.
Yes, of course, we all have a right to swim, etc. but if the lanes are designated fast, slow, whatever, then darn it respect the rules.

Plus, that lady could get herself hit, if she's wondering around, and you're doing fly sets. Do you ever say anything to these people?

Jerrycat

Gareth Eckley
October 6th, 2003, 09:19 AM
I was in an unusually good mood this morning. Full of the joys of life etc, so i just swum around her. I had just finished a fly set and was starting a free set so i was not very worried where she was in the lane.

There was just her and me in the " fast lane ", 1 dbl arm back & side stroke swimmer in the "medium speed " lane and 3 others in the rest of the pool.

She should have been swimming elswewhere but i was also happy as the pool temp was finally correct, it has been very warm recently.

If it had been a typical monday morning then I would have said something.

jerrycat
October 6th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Gareth, I admire your patience. This morning I made a quick run to the grocery store, and this lady almost ran over two pedestrians. I honked and yelled at that driver to which she ignored me and kept talking on her cell phone. It took me an hour to cool off. (those typed really get me steamed!) I should have an attitude more like yours and let things go.

How awesome that the pool temp was finally right! :D

sparx35
October 7th, 2003, 05:29 PM
i usually have a quick stretch in the change rooms so to prevent charlie horse

bip
October 17th, 2005, 11:43 PM
My understanding of recent studies was that stretching before swimming is no longer recommended. This, as I understand it, is for several reasons:
1) the risks associated with stretching cold muscles;
2) stretching reduces the muscle's ability to contract;
3) although athletes stretch to reduce potential injuries, the injuries don't result from overstretching the muscle through the range that stretching improves.

I had understood that the new trend was to lengthen the warm up instead and either do the stretching after swimming, or at some other time entirely, or not at all.

Any comments?

geochuck
October 18th, 2005, 02:11 AM
All the sretchers I know have sore shoulders, they over do it. I have never stretched, never will.

Gareth did your coach in Canada have you do duck walks around the pool before you swam. That is what some of those Canadian coaches did. Thank goodness I never listened to them.

Bip that is really true but it is not recent the guy I knew who did a study at U of Maryland in 1953 and that was his findings longer warmup swims, better still no stretching at all.