PDA

View Full Version : Chris Greene and other cable swims

thewookiee
June 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
For those of you who have done the Chris Greene and other cable swims, is there a time designated for warm-up? I was looking over the meet information but it didn't mention a warm-up period.

What are people's thoughts on the Chris Greene swim?

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
There is a warmup time at both Chris Greene and Lake Placid cable swims.

One year I swam at Lake Placid, the air was in the 40s and rainy, and the water was about 72. I opted to actually stay warm rather than freeze during the "warmup.":)

(The air isn't usually that cold at Lake Placid in August, of course; normal temps make the water feel great.)

Cable swims are fun. Both are good races. CGL is much warmer (about 80) and a typical eutrophic southern lake, meaning that it isn't very clear. The cable is along the surface of the water, like a lane line. The water at Lake Placid is clear enough that the cable is submerged but clearly visible; I recall surface buoys attached to the cable every so often, you don't have to look at the underwater cable for sighting if you don't want.

Both events are very family friendly, with beaches and lifeguards nearby, and plenty to do in the surrounding area. I hear that there is some sort of trashy low-grade university near Chris Greene Lake, but I've seen no evidence of this.

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
By the way, links to both races:

CGL: http://www.cableswim.org/

LP: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1689&smid=2901

Lake Placid is a national championship this year. USMS records are also possible with cable swims (the only OW races for which that is true).

jroddin
June 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
CGL is an easy drive for those in the Washington DC area. I've done this swim many times over the past 15 years. It is always a very organized and well run event. This year if I go I imagine I'll have to swim with a bag over my head to hide the humiliation from last year's race...:bow:

thewookiee
June 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
CGL is an easy drive for those in the Washington DC area. I've done this swim many times over the past 15 years. It is always a very organized and well run event. This year if I go I imagine I'll have to swim with a bag over my head to hide the humiliation from last year's race...:bow:

Did you get beat by Geek? That would make me put a bag over my whole body.

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM

It was much worse than that, he got beat by Mrs. Roddin.

aquageek
June 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM

I'm seriously thinking about doing this race, mostly for the opportunity to skewer you with my elbows and knees at the start. jroddin is pretty spindly as well. We might get you between the two of us and filet you like a mud river catfish.

thewookiee
June 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I'm seriously thinking about doing this race, mostly for the opportunity to skewer you with my elbows and knees at the start. jroddin is pretty spindly as well. We might get you between the two of us and filet you like a mud river catfish.

Do you honestly think that your straw sized elbows and hands will have any impact through my fur?

swimshark
June 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Go Julie!

Wookiee, you will love Lake Placid.

thewookiee
June 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM

No, I think getting chicked by geek is much worse than being beaten by his baby's momma.

chaos
June 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM
LP has a submerged cable.... easily visible when swimming, and the water is clear and beautiful.

i've never done the CG swim, so i can't compare.

thewookiee
June 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
LP has a submerged cable.... easily visible when swimming, and the water is clear and beautiful.

i've never done the CG swim, so i can't compare.

Will you be at lake placid this year?

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Last year may not have turned out as well, but a 25-year-old Jeff Roddin was the overall winner way back in 1994!

http://www.vaswim.org/chris-greene-lake-race-winners-by-year/

That was 3 years after a young Rob Copeland won the race...

pwb
June 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Last year may not have turned out as well, but a 25-year-old Jeff Roddin was the overall winner way back in 1994!

That was 3 years after a young Rob Copeland won the race...I would've swum the age grouper version of this back in the early 80s. Cool to see this list and recall some folks like Bernadino (what's his excuse these days for not racing in his backyard), Andrew Wren (he was an older guy on my age group team when I was a pup) and I believe Perry Lange was a coach of a team somewhere down in the Va Beach area ... maybe Coast Guard Blue Dolphins?

Geek, the lake and the race was great 30 years ago. I can't imagine it's changed much (does anything change in central Virginia?).

jroddin
June 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM

That was 3 years after a young Rob Copeland won the race...

I noticed the winning time from 1994 is practically the slowest in the history of the event. I think there were strong currents and swells and a nasty riptide that year! :bump:

knelson
June 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I suppose with the cable running along the surface this wouldn't be as much of a concern, but I was wondering if colliding with swimmers going the opposite direction would be a problem if the cable is submerged? I think the new course in Oregon is similar to Lake Placid in that the cable is submerged.

slknight
June 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I won in '93. IIRC, the water was 89 degrees that year. Blech! It is a great swim though. I wish I didn't live so far away now.

Chris Stevenson
June 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I won in '93. IIRC, the water was 89 degrees that year. Blech! It is a great swim though. I wish I didn't live so far away now.

That's unusually high, typically it is 81-84, last year was the warmest I have seen personally at about 84 in the first heat. The year before it was 79-80, best ever. This year the 2-mi race is just one heat, first thing, so the air and water will be at their coolest.

chaos
June 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
I suppose with the cable running along the surface this wouldn't be as much of a concern, but I was wondering if colliding with swimmers going the opposite direction would be a problem if the cable is submerged? I think the new course in Oregon is similar to Lake Placid in that the cable is submerged.

i believe the rule is don't pass on the inside.

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Chris or Jeff,

Do you know if it is possible to swim the course on Friday afternoon? Or do people have to wait until Saturday morning?

Chris Stevenson
June 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Chris or Jeff,

Do you know if it is possible to swim the course on Friday afternoon? Or do people have to wait until Saturday morning?

I just sent an email to the race director (Dave Holland) asking your question. I'll let you know what he says.

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
I just sent an email to the race director (Dave Holland) asking your question. I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks Chris!

Chris Stevenson
June 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM

Here was the response.

A few did it last year. I'm not stopping anyone who shows up, but we are not liable/responsible, and we're not providing any safety or support.

The lifeguards didn't seem to care last year but if they say no, then no means no.

thewookiee
June 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Here was the response.

Sounds like a warning at hotel pools "swim at your own risk" Thanks for getting the information.

Chris Stevenson
July 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Nice blog post on CGL:

http://owswimrva.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/chris-greene-lake-a-review/

Entry deadline is July 4 (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1212&smid=3054).

thewookiee
July 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I want to say THANK YOU to Chris S., Dave H. and all the volunteers that worked hard to make the Chris Greene swim a wonderful event.

This was my first cable swim(or any open water for that matter) The group had tons of safety volunteers, plenty of food to snake on and smiles to go around.

While I am not a big fan of open water, this event is one that I am planning on doing again. The event is well run.

And, if you see Chris S. at his next meet, please remind to to "turn" at the halfway point in the race. :-)