PDA

View Full Version : Question on SDKs

pwolf66
June 22nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm finding that I'm faster on my back than on my stomach. I'm not sure why but I suspect I get more hip snap looking up than looking down.

Anyone have any tips on how to improve kicking on my stomach?

Karl_S
June 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm finding that I'm faster on my back than on my stomach. I'm not sure why but I suspect I get more hip snap looking up than looking down. ...
If you haven't already, get this checked accurately with a stopwatch. I thouht the same thing for a long time, but when I had the coach time me, much to my surprise I found out that I am faster on my stomach. This was true consistently in multiple tests on multiple days. It just *feels* faster on my back.

When you find out the key to getting better, please let me know. Learning to SDK well seems to be one of the most difficult challenges I have even undertaken in the pool.

ande
June 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm finding that I'm faster on my back than on my stomach. I'm not sure why but I suspect I get more hip snap looking up than looking down.

I too SDK faster on my back than my stomach,
haven't timed it lately, but I recall doing a

FAST 25 yard SDK for time from a roll start dive on my:
+ stomach in around 10.9 &
+ back in around 10.5
(did a forward racing dive on both but on bk SDK I rolled over to my back just after I dove in)

Tips on how to improve SDKing on your stomach?

1) Anything you do & measure IMPROVES
so make it a personal project for you to IMPROVE your BELLY SDK
focus on improving your SDK speed for 15 meters & 25 yards
plus figure out what your SDK kick count sweet spots are for each of your races.
You do all this by training, testing, timing, & repeat.
Simulate race conditions in practice, warm up, rest more, get psyched & SDK FAST

2) Do my Help! my SDK is Horrible program,
3, 4 or 5 times a week & test your speed once a week.
Report your RESULTS

3) SDK advice I gave to a 5 year old

4) Read & participate in The Butterfly Lane & The SDK Lane

5) SFF Tip 347 Eddie Reese on 4 Ways Swimmers Improve
which are:

a) Technique
Improve your belly SDK technique
Have someone video you underwater so you can see what you are doing, & what you could do better
observe & copy the best
Make lasting technique changes
Key areas are:
Push offs,
Streamlines / Body position,
SDK timing & amplitude,
Break outs / transitions

b) Get stronger
Paul, you are big and strong, but all of us can get stronger & more explosive
leg press, squats, jumps, deadlift ...

c) work harder (& smarter)
this is up to the athlete, doing each part of each work out to the best of your ability

d) harder (& smarter) work outs
this is up to the coach
your coach, (you) needs to add some SDK improvement sets to each work out

e) Improve Your Vessel
this is thinking of yourself as a watercraft
Become more aquadynamic

Key areas are:

Lug Less Lard:
get your height weight proportions and your strength to weight proportions closer to those of world class swimmers, at least world class masters swimmers.

IMPROVE YOUR STREAMLINE:
how well do you streamline
Improve you arm position, lock em in tight and straight,
head position, neutral &
body alignment straight

SHAVE

Occasionally Rock a RACING SUIT

improve your float factor,
BREATHE in the biggest breaths you can
completely fill your LUNGS & hold your air, don't leak air
go a little deeper on your dives & pushoffs and
learn how to surge to your breakouts

improve your foot / ankle flexibility
FAST SDKers tend to have big feet & great foot flexibility (point with out trying)

f) mentalmental aspects are huge
being focused and determined
Paul, after knowing you over the years and following your blog, my suggestions to you for this category are:

1) be persistent & consistent

2) control your emotions,
don't let negative thoughts drag you down and keep you from doing what you know you need to

3) make good decisions in & out of the pool

4) hold yourself accountable, ask a few close friends to do so too

5) take real actions, make yourself do it

Hope these help you Paul
Let us know how you do
Good luck

Ande

jroddin
June 22nd, 2011, 12:09 PM

I wonder if you might strike a compromise by rotating slightly to your side while you SDK to see if maybe you feel better in that position. Isn't that whay Misty and maybe Pancratov (sp?) used to do before the 15m rule took effect in butterfly?

Jeff

arthur
June 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
My coach says SDK on your side uses less energy than on your front or back because you aren't fighting gravity.

fmracing
June 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
For me the converse is true. Much faster on my front than my back for sdk. I noticed a huge difference on front sdk when I really concentrate on getting a good punch from the upkick and not just hammer on the downkick. Its easy to just kick down hard and recover up rather than also kicking upwards. The few times this week I did 25m sdk it was 15-16sec from a push on my stomach (timed off paceclock second hand).

Chris Stevenson
June 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I am also measurably faster on my back than the stomach, about 0.5 sec diff for a 25.

Besides verifying with a stopwatch, be careful about the streamline. I think it is harder to maintain a tight streamline on the stomach than the back. Especially make sure you aren't lifting your head.

I have thought that maybe the buoyancy is the reason. The downbeat is the stronger part of the kick, and on your back you are pushing against the tendency to float to the surface. I sometimes feel it is harder to stay under when on the stomach.

I think the reason side SDKs CAN be faster is not gravity but having a larger 'column' of water to push against. If you are too near the surface, or too near the bottom, your kick is less effective at propelling you forward.

fmracing
June 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
The downbeat is the stronger part of the kick, and on your back you are pushing against the tendency to float to the surface.

The odd thing for me is the opposite. I can't keep my body underwater long on my back at all. 10m tops before i naturally come to the surface. On the front, I can stay under close to 50m without problems if I don't run out of air :) Starting to make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong now.

ande
June 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
My coach says SDK on your side uses less energy than on your front or back because you aren't fighting gravity.

I disagree.

I think side vs front vs back is choice for each individual swimmer to make based on
what's legal,
what feels best and
what's fastest.
In training, all swimmers should SDK on their back, belly, sides, & even corkscrew to figure things out. They should test and retest.

ie
if a swimmer has an awesome SDK on their back
for freestyle sprint turns it might be better for them to come off the wall on their backs, then do some SDKs then later transition to one side for their breakout

For some strange reason, in practice on long kicks where breathing is essential, it feels best for me to kick on my side with my left arm down & my right arm up. The other way feels funny.

for many swimmers, especially masters, I don't think gravity plays of the role in SDK because gravity is offset by the swimmers float factor.