PDA

View Full Version : King Co. requires life vests for swimmers, floaters

Ken Classen
June 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
People who hope to beat the summer heat by swimming, floating or boating on rivers in King County must wear a life vest or face an $86 fine.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Co-requires-life-vests-for-swimmers-1432255.php#ixzz1Q0WHrANj

Thrashing Slug
June 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
The rivers are very high this year. Lots of logs and snags. WA rivers are really no place to be going for a swim. From what I can tell this doesn't apply to lakes, just rivers. Seems reasonable to me, at least in the context of the nanny state world we currently live in. It is expensive and risky to put together a rescue/recovery team. I guess one alternative would be to bill people who need to be rescued, or bill the families for recovering the bodies.

chaos
June 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
some friends and i often poach an "off limits" lake around here.... i always carry the $150 potential fine with me... haven't had to use it yet.

mjtyson
July 1st, 2011, 02:39 AM
I wrote the county and told them that my family and I will not move to King county when I retire from the military. That area was on our list of locations, but I cannot afford the potential fines.

Chicken of the Sea
July 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
some friends and i often poach an "off limits" lake around here.... i always carry the $150 potential fine with me... haven't had to use it yet.

is that a fine or a bribe? I like how you and Clare are shaking your fists at authority in your photo!!!!

orca1946
July 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Another "nanny " law !!

slknight
July 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Exact opposite situation here. A nearby town just BANNED wearing life vests at the town swimming spot on the river.

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_8470.shtml

E=H2O
July 8th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Exact opposite situation here. A nearby town just BANNED wearing life vests at the town swimming spot on the river.

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_8470.shtml

I actually agree with this. If a child can not swim safely on their own, then the parents should be within arms reach at all times.

MikeGarr
July 9th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I actually agree with this. If a child can not swim safely on their own, then the parents should be within arms reach at all times.

I learned to swim in a lake at a family camp. There were strict rules. No life preservers of any kind while in the water. No solo deep water until they could swim unassisted approximately 200 yards in the open water. Life preservers on all children under 14 while boating. All those kids grew up to be fabulous swimmers, and safe boaters.

pendaluft
July 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I absolutely agree with this policy -- life vests while boating but never when swimming. These are the kids who drown -- they float into deep water and never know how to swim. My observation has been that the parents who want their kids in life vests for swimming are swimmers either. I don't think kids ever learn to swim well if they are always in flotation gear.

This goes back to the need to teach water safety to kids and teens, something we don't do well at.

One of my kids has avoided swim class all his life. He's not comfortable in water over his head. He wanted to wear a life vest but I wont let him -- he'll have to learn to swim (opportunity is still there!)

norascats
July 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I am not an advocate of life vests except for boating. They are designed to keep a person afloat and breathing while waiting for rescue.
They are not designed for swimming.
Prohibiting swimming where the safety is in question should relieve the governing agency of liability in the event of an incident.

Nathan
July 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I won't bother with my opinions either way on the requirement, but I can say from my position as a member of my fire department's swiftwater rescue team, that since this rule has taken effect... I have yet to be toned out to the river for a rescue. We've got the Green and White river's in our district and as soon as the weather was getting nice, we were getting called out (sometimes multiple's in a day), and after this, not one page since. *knocks on wood*

Chris Lowe
July 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM
The news is full of brave explorers demonstrating Darwinism
http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_8484.shtml

Nathan
July 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Nathan - which policy do you guys have, 'must wear PFD' or 'must not wear PFD' ?

Now that PFD's are required to be worn, haven't had a rescue call on the river. Rivers around here really aren't meant for swimming; lots of obstacles, lots of power, a lot of opportunities for people to get themselves in trouble.