PDA

View Full Version : Racing Suit?

Indianaman79
June 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
this is directed towards all you non wetsuit people - i am transitioning from pool to OW and was curious about any recommendations out there regarding which suit to purchase that is still USMS legal as of this year.

srcoyote
June 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
this is directed towards all you non wetsuit people - i am transitioning from pool to OW and was curious about any recommendations out there regarding which suit to purchase that is still USMS legal as of this year.

I never go wrong with the standard nylon brief.

E=H2O
June 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Speedo Endurance brief. Also comes as Jammers.

Indianaman79
June 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
oh, so drag and water repellant type material are not that important? I would think a paper type jammer would be best for OW because it would provide more bouyancy thus saving energy.

aquageek
June 27th, 2011, 04:21 PM
oh, so drag and water repellant type material are not that important? I would think a paper type jammer would be best for OW because it would provide more bouyancy thus saving energy.

If you are dead set on wearing a new generation tech suit and money is no object, go buy yourself one of the best jammers out there. I have the Speedo LZR elite. I will never ever wear it in OW however. I've worn an Aquablade for a few races (when I remember to pack it). It has some tech suitish qualities, lasts a long time and is very affordable. Otherwise, it's the good ole square leg poly mesh.

srcoyote
June 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM

It's not that they're not important -- just the effects of the suit are miniscule in comparision with other open water factors such as the line you take, your ability to sight buoys without tiring, learning to draft, current, wind, the five hamburgers you ate before the race (ok, that's just me).

couldbebetterfly
June 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
For OW wear what you are most comfortable with. I'll be doing my annual lake swim in my last year's TYR ShortJohn. It gives me more buoyancy at the hips than a standard tank suit and its not my new super-tight one.
As PP stated, there's too many other variables to worry about!

dc_in_sf
June 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I do all my swimming (open water or not) in my Speedo Endurance Jammers (racing? I just want to finish :)), but lately have been getting an interesting back tan that makes me wonder if there are ever going to be any affordable neck to knee swimsuits.

I've tried swimming with a rash guard but despite making me feel like I was wearing a body condom on land, as soon as I got in the water it ballooned out into a lovely drag inducing "blouse".