PDA

View Full Version : Teaching starts: video links?

pwb
June 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM
All,

One of my friend's kids, a 10 year old boy who started swimming about a year ago, is really struggling with his racing start in at least two fundamental ways:

Diving flat to near belly flop,
Complete fear of diving off a starting block

Though I don't coach professionally, I did teach each of my own kids to dive, using things like the following in addition to just building a dive from the basics:

Diving through a hula hoop (e.g., get your body to enter through the same narrow hole in the water)

Diving over an extended bar (e.g., a dive is as much about going up and out as it is about getting into the water)

I tried working with this kid last weekend and none of the drills or techniques I'd used with my own kids seemed to help him. I'm confident we can get over #2 above once I can get him to do a decent start from the side of the pool, but I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some video links that both he and I could look at, videos showing both drills/practice techniques to help 'build' a dive and great starts.

__steve__
June 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Go-swim

jaadams1
June 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM
***I don't suggest you do this in any way***

Both my brother and my coach's son had this problem, and continued with it until they were 10-11 years old or so. They swore they were diving correctly, though it appeared more of a leap forward landing toward the belly in streamline position with the head up and feet touching the water first. Eventually after permission from my parents, the coach took the two of them over to the deep end and began training them the hard way. Literally was picking them up and tossing them in head first until they figured it out!! Eventually it did work, though the two kids were both in tears over the process.