PDA

View Full Version : The first breath

__steve__
June 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
When should you take in all the air for the 50, on mark before the start or in mid air after the start?

pwolf66
June 24th, 2011, 09:24 PM
When given the 'take your mark' command, I slowly exhale and then when the 'beep' sounds I explode off the blocks and inhale as much air as I can.

My goal on a short course 50 is 1 breath halfway back.

nkfrench
June 24th, 2011, 09:28 PM
If I recall correctly, I saw Tom Jager take a deep fast breath just before entering the water (short course 50). I don't remember what he was doing waiting on the blocks for the start.

funkyfish
June 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
When given the 'take your mark' command, I slowly exhale and then when the 'beep' sounds I explode off the blocks and inhale as much air as I can.

Ditto. :banana:

jaadams1
June 24th, 2011, 11:18 PM

I do the same thing on the blocks before every dive. For the 50 however, I just breathe as needed. It's a 50 though, and not a race worthwhile for me.

__steve__
June 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thank you very much.

I have a difficult time inhaling deeply while jumping because I naturally exhale then. I will give what Paul mentioned. a try at warm up.:)

fmracing
June 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Just do what comes natural. I have a difficult time even telling you what I do once the whistle blows to get on the block. I'm pretty sure the only breath I take is done between the whistle and the take your mark signal, never after the beep.

orca1946
June 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
As I grab the block,after take your mark whistle , with in 1-2 seconds the beep will happen.

__steve__
July 1st, 2011, 08:01 AM
Next time I race I plan not to have to think about anything, trained instinct.