PDA

View Full Version : chlorine resistant materials?

nhc
June 26th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Usually polyester suits last much longer than nylon/spandex. What about those "chlorine resistant" nylon/spandex/lycra? Are the still not as durable as untreated polyesters? Any experience? Thanks.

hnatkin
June 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
my experience is that Xtra Life Lycra suits last 6-8 weeks tops swimming 5-6 days/week. Stick with the polyesther, they last til the seams disintegrate ~ 18mos. Definitely worth the investment.

orca1946
June 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Poly suits are the ones to stay with for extended swim time/dates/life !

ElaineK
June 26th, 2011, 06:36 PM
my experience is that Xtra Life Lycra suits last 6-8 weeks tops swimming 5-6 days/week. Stick with the polyesther, they last til the seams disintegrate ~ 18mos. Definitely worth the investment.

I completely agree! My Speedo 50% polyester/ 50% PBT (also a type of polyester) lasted a long time, swimming 5-6 days/wk. It did not quite make it 18 months, but I was happy with the 15 months of wear I got out of it. And, it was the seams that gave out; not the fabric.

August is a good time to purchase one on sale; I got mine for $28, from Swim Outlet. I use my polyester suits for training and save my Xtra Life Lycra suit for swim meets.

couldbebetterfly
June 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM

+1

I had Speedo Xtra Life Lycra last 3 months of 2-3 days swimming per week.

TYR Durafast went 3 months of 3 days/wk of swimming - the straps stretched out on this one.

Speedo Endurance (as described by Elaine) has done 2 months of 3 days/week and 1 month of 4-5 days/week and is still going strong!

dans
June 26th, 2011, 10:29 PM
H2O wear out of New Hampshire! Unfortunatley, they only make 1 tank(workout) suit for women. But definately comfortable and durable. Chlorine-resistent material. I used to need a suit every 6 months at least. Then I would wear at least 2. Now I wear 1 from H2O wear and have worn nothing else for a few years now. Good Luck!

orca1946
June 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Our team suits are "Speedo Endurance" and we all like them. They last for a few seasons of use at meets.