PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap racing jammer?

hofffam
June 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I want a cheaper (< $50) racing jammer. For some meets I don't want to use my "good" suit, but I don't like my plane jane Speedo jammer. It is too stretchy.

Any recs?

fmracing
June 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Aquablades are a perfect inbetween suit for $49.99. They seem to last longer than other racing suits too.

The off brand yingsu or whatever is prolly cheaper though, but I can't comment whether it'll last quite as long. I used my a-blade for about 20 meets and its still pretty decent at holding shape.

geochuck
June 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM
You mean YingFa, sorry I can not comment but I know several have bought.

Chris Stevenson
June 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
You mean YingFa, sorry I can not comment but I know several have bought.

I have a Yingfa suit and it based on my experience it fits two of the OP's criteria: cheap and durable. I have less of a sense of its performance, though I would probably size down if you want the least drag.

There is so little material in them that I don't know that there is a huge performance difference between between brands of racing jammers. Cost and fit/comfort might ultimately be better criteria for comparison.

Currently I use the Yingfa for all my in-season meets. I probably wouldn't have a problem using it for a taper meet too but I'd have to get a smaller size; right now I have a B70 jammer for taper meets and will use it until it dies.

Click on the link in George's sig if you want more information on the Yingfa. It isn't as if you risk much if you decide to give it a try, and the service is quick.

pwb
June 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
+1 on the Yingfa and, even better, I like the $28 model (#9205) better than the exorbitantly priced (;)) $33 model (#9402) on http://www.swimdownhill.com/.

jaadams1
June 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I also like the $28 model as patrick mentioned. I have a couple of both, and use them for most meets, including the big meets.
Cheapo works for me. I'd rather swim 0.01 sec. slower at $28 per suit, than 0.01 faster in a $200 or higher suit.

orca1946
June 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Answer to both questions - Yingfa !

want2beafish
June 29th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Quick question about the kneeskin sizing (female) -- I've done a forum search, and am still unsure as to what size I should order. I train in a 30, but race in a 25L LZR Elite and a 26 B70 Nero TX. 5'6", 125 lbs., size 2-4. Would a medium be appropriate, or would it lose its shape too quickly?

swimcat
June 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I won a Yingfa but gave it away as I had also won a blue seventy and didn't want to be greedy. wow, wish i had hung onto it.

want2beafish
June 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Just ordered one, thanks!

ande
June 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
There's several very affordable FINA approved suits

aztimm
June 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Question for those who wear jammers.... I have a small waist but thick legs. I prefer wearing a brief for swimming just so I don't have to deal with the tightness on my legs. When I wear bike shorts, I need to wear a size M, just so they'll fit my legs, but they are still extremely tight on my legs, especially at the bottom. But the M bike shorts are very loose at my waist (someone told me to try bib shorts, just haven't yet).

Is there much to be gained in wearing a jammer -v- a tech brief? I wear a Speedo Fastskin brief (got it on clearance for around $15) in a size 28 for meets. It fits fine, I probably could go smaller, but 26 wasn't available at that price, and it would probably be on the fringe for decency.

If I try this Yngfa (or other) jammer, what size should I get?

gdanner
June 29th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Is there much to be gained in wearing a jammer -v- a tech brief?

I guess it depends on what you mean by much.

This pdf and associated references study some of the issues at hand, such as: "water repellence, muscles oscillation and skin vibration reduction by compression the body." I haven't found one that discusses briefs vs jammers specifically, but I think many of the same conclusions can be drawn...Generally, the more surface area you have covered, the faster you will be (for reasons that are more scientifically outlined in these studies).

http://rua.ua.es/dspace/bitstream/10045/16867/1/JHSE_6_1_10.pdf

I haven't read through all of these in complete detail.

We need a "bat signal" for qbrain. Surely he has done some research in the matter. Based on my personal experience, I think jammers make a big difference over a brief and that's good enough for me. But if it is borderline painful to wear, I understand your hesitancy.

fmracing
June 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I think jammers make a big difference over a brief and that's good enough for me.

I think not having to shave the thighs should be case enough for any male to enter jammer land :)

fmracing
June 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I do 2-3 meets a year, with little to no taper, nor do I shave.

With that in mind, I'd change my answer to your question... there isn't enough to be gained going to a jammer in your situation. Negligible gains, at best.

jaadams1
June 29th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Question for those who wear jammers.... I have a small waist but thick legs. I prefer wearing a brief for swimming just so I don't have to deal with the tightness on my legs. When I wear bike shorts, I need to wear a size M, just so they'll fit my legs, but they are still extremely tight on my legs, especially at the bottom. But the M bike shorts are very loose at my waist (someone told me to try bib shorts, just haven't yet).

Is there much to be gained in wearing a jammer -v- a tech brief? I wear a Speedo Fastskin brief (got it on clearance for around $15) in a size 28 for meets. It fits fine, I probably could go smaller, but 26 wasn't available at that price, and it would probably be on the fringe for decency.

If I try this Yngfa (or other) jammer, what size should I get?

The thing I like about the Yingfa jammers, is that they are snug at the bottom of the legs, but not so tight and constricting that they are painful. I have used the TYR Fusion 2 jammers, and these ones were tight at the bottom, and a little painful after a while. Yingfa is a good choice.

hofffam
June 30th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks all for your replies. I really like the idea of $28 Yingfa jammers that you guys like. It is hard to believe that Speedo really deserves $260 for a LZR Elite.

orca1946
June 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If you have a sponsor that picks up the bill/donates them, no problem !!

gdanner
June 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks all for your replies. I really like the idea of $28 Yingfa jammers that you guys like. It is hard to believe that Speedo really deserves $260 for a LZR Elite.

They don't. I mean, I swear by Speedo suits, but the cost is crazy. They give away a lot of free suits to sponsored teams, so they have to make up for that somehow. Qualifiers for USAS Nationals, US Open, and Trials get a free suit of their choice each time they attend those meets. Since the FS1 was introduced in 2000/2001, I've only had to purchase a tech suit one time (and I've been swimming year round every year since then). They definitely give away thousands of suits per year. National Team members probably have an unlimited supply.

I think I'm going to try a Yingfa suit. My speedo stash is running low (and the rule changes cut out a lot of my suits :bitching:). I'm not sure...Medium size perhaps comparable to a 28?

Dolphin 2
June 30th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Don't the Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift stores sell those things? :bump:

CD

jaadams1
June 30th, 2011, 08:14 PM
They don't. I mean, I swear by Speedo suits, but the cost is crazy. They give away a lot of free suits to sponsored teams, so they have to make up for that somehow. Qualifiers for USAS Nationals, US Open, and Trials get a free suit of their choice each time they attend those meets. Since the FS1 was introduced in 2000/2001, I've only had to purchase a tech suit one time (and I've been swimming year round every year since then). They definitely give away thousands of suits per year. National Team members probably have an unlimited supply.

I think I'm going to try a Yingfa suit. My speedo stash is running low (and the rule changes cut out a lot of my suits :bitching:). I'm not sure...Medium size perhaps comparable to a 28?

I originally got a Large size, when I was wearing a 30. But after losing weight, I'm at a 28, and also downsized to a Medium in Yingfa. That feels fine to me.

Karl_S
July 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
OK, I see a lot of positive comments about these Yingfa jammers, and there is a sale going on now, so I'm thinking that I would like to try one. The question is what size?

I am probably the thinnest guy on this forum. I have a 30" waist. Currently, for meets I use a lycra Speedo jammer size 30 and it seems to fit well. For practice I use Speedo endurance briefs size 30. For family swims I use a Speedo endurance jammer size 28. It is a real struggle to get into, but feels ok in the water. According to the Yingfa sizing chart, Speedo 30 = Yinga L, and this is the largest size listed! So now I am second-guessing. "Large" is in no way a description of me so I don't know what to order. Help!

geochuck
July 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Measure your waist 2 to 3 inches below the belly button then you take the next size down for racing.

jaadams1
July 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
OK, I see a lot of positive comments about these Yingfa jammers, and there is a sale going on now, so I'm thinking that I would like to try one. The question is what size?

I am probably the thinnest guy on this forum. I have a 30" waist. Currently, for meets I use a lycra Speedo jammer size 30 and it seems to fit well. For practice I use Speedo endurance briefs size 30. For family swims I use a Speedo endurance jammer size 28. It is a real struggle to get into, but feels ok in the water. According to the Yingfa sizing chart, Speedo 30 = Yinga L, and this is the largest size listed! So now I am second-guessing. "Large" is in no way a description of me so I don't know what to order. Help!

Get the Medium size. You'll be fine. That's what I've been using lately.

Karl_S
July 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Measure your waist 2 to 3 inches below the belly button then you take the next size down for racing.

Get the Medium size. You'll be fine. That's what I've been using lately.

Thanks for the advise. I just ordered one.
(If I don't like it, my plan B is to get another $25 lycra Speedo at the local sporting goods store.)

Swimosaur
July 14th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I want a cheaper (< $50) racing jammer ... Any recs?

Yes, get a YingFa. Yes, get it from George Park.