PDA

View Full Version : Compensating for Current?

sydned
June 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hi folks,
I am planning a swim for later in July, in the Western Massachusetts area, on the Connecticut River. Basically, in case any of you know the area, I want to swim the approximately 15 1/2 miles from the Sunderland Bridge to Northampton.

My question relates to determining how much assistance the river is giving me current-wise. I know that will depend upon the height of the river, etc., but is there a general way to determine things like that?

The idea is to do this as a "practice" swim for a later event, in September, to be open to others. This time, however, it will be just my husband in the kayak and me in the water.

Thanks for the help!
Sydne

aquageek
June 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
choas will know the answer to this since he just swam the entire length of the eastern seaboard.

sydned
June 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Again?

I know--does the man ever stop swimming? I am constantly impressed.

Kevin in MD
July 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM
My question relates to determining how much assistance the river is giving me current-wise. I know that will depend upon the height of the river, etc., but is there a general way to determine things like that?
Thanks for the help!
Sydne

I think the easy way is to throw an orange in the river and then time it for a known distance as it floats downstream.

Also, assorted water quality reports can give the seasonal flow of the river or daily flow if it is tidal. That way you can know at least what range you are dealing with.

On the other hand if you want to figure it out for the purposes of telling your swimming friends how fast you went, then the answer is of course, NO CURRENT WHATSOEVER!

gregoc
July 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Contact Chris Swain. He swam much of the CT river back in the 90's.
christopher(at)swimforahealthyworld(dot)org (christopher@swimforahealthyworld.org)

sydned
July 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Wow! Thanks for all of the great suggestions and help.
We are working it out and I think it's going to be a great swim. I can't wait to do it!

Thanks again everyone,
Sydne