PDA

View Full Version : Most Recent National "Championship Commitee" Minutes

Ahelee Sue Osborn
July 2nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
If you attend USMS Nationals and care about the goings on of this "important" event, keep an eye out for this committee's work.

They care about your experience and they make decisions that affect your big competitive event of the season!

(the latest)
https://www.usms.org/admin/minutes/champ-2011-6-22-1.pdf

swim53
July 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks Ahelee for posting this. I found their "take" on sandbagging and the date and location of Y Nat's 2011.

That Guy
July 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Lots of good information in there for 2012, like having video backup in Omaha, so no timers will be needed. And there's a peek at 2013 and 2014. I could probably convince my family to go to Mission Viejo for a vacation... :rolleyes:

bjcarter
July 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
selfishly, I'm pulling for an Austin/Mission Viejo 2013 mix...

pwb
July 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
'13 Spring: Indianapolis; Austin, Tx; Santa Clara, CAYou can't go wrong with any of these options, but, since I seemed to have missed past chances to swim a Masters Nationals in my favorite pool in the world, IUPUI, I'm selfishly hoping for Indy. But, this will be on time when any of these would make me happy.

ALM
July 2nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Ahelee for posting this. I found their "take" on sandbagging and the date and location of Y Nat's 2011.

I believe that the Y-Nationals venue discussed in that report is only for the kids' Y-Nationals meet. I don't think they've announced the location for the Masters Y-Nationals yet.

Chris Stevenson
July 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
I believe that the Y-Nationals venue discussed in that report is only for the kids' Y-Nationals meet. I don't think they've announced the location for the Masters Y-Nationals yet.

Of course (just in case it isn't clear) the Championship committee does not have anything to do with Masters Y-Nats.

Chris Stevenson
July 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
By the way, if you are at all interested in that sort of thing, all committee meeting minutes are here:

http://www.usms.org/admin/minutes/

ElaineK
July 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
Lots of good information in there for 2012, like having video backup in Omaha, so no timers will be needed. And there's a peek at 2013 and 2014. I could probably convince my family to go to Mission Viejo for a vacation... :rolleyes:

I'll see ya there, That Guy! My mom still lives in Long Beach (where I grew up), so I would head out west, for sure. As for Spring Nationals, we can all crash at Ande's place, if it's in Austin. Right, Ande? :D And, if it's in Santa Clara, I have my best friend I can visit in Santa Cruz, a sister to visit in Sacramento, and a forumite buddy who I may be able to convince to compete ( ;) ). :cheerleader:
So, I have added my selfish reasons, along with the rest of you!

knelson
July 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM
So the bit about it being expensive to have timers in Omaha (since the facility would need to be paid for their food) got me thinking. Does this mean there won't be gold medal sponsorships in Omaha?

Ahelee Sue Osborn
July 6th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I love the gold medal sponsorship idea!
Totally worth every penny even though I often miss the lunch hours.

My favorite was in Austin. Such a nice outside setting to meet up with friends. The setting and food were both so accommodating. Wish I still had my photos to show it!
Other nationals with poolside areas work well too.

We could promote it better if it truly does offer added support to the event. I'm always surprised when people don't know about it. Like me when I came back to swim at nationals after 20+ years away at triathlon & OW racing.
The concept is pretty unique in that regular participants can take part.

Seems like GMS is there to serve beyond timers. And surely Omaha has terrific VIP area :)

jroddin
July 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
So the bit about it being expensive to have timers in Omaha (since the facility would need to be paid for their food) got me thinking. Does this mean there won't be gold medal sponsorships in Omaha?

The common idea of bringing in a bunch of pizza and sodas to feed timers isn't possible inside the Quest Center. Because of the concessions contract inside the arena, all food must be purchased from the licensed vendor and the cost is at least $40/day/person even for barebones food. Therefore it is cost prohibitive to feed the timers.

The cost for GMS passes in Omaha is expected to reflect this higher food cost. The original intent of GMS was to raise additional funds for the Host but with rising food costs the profit margin has been slim (for example I imagine there was little to no profit margin for the catered spread we had in Puerto Rico).

In short, GMS will be available in Omaha but the passes will be more expensive.

Jeff

pwolf66
July 7th, 2011, 09:54 AM
The common idea of bringing in a bunch of pizza and sodas to feed timers isn't possible inside the Quest Center. Because of the concessions contract inside the arena, all food must be purchased from the licensed vendor and the cost is at least $40/day/person even for barebones food. Therefore it is cost prohibitive to feed the timers.

The cost for GMS passes in Omaha is expected to reflect this higher food cost. The original intent of GMS was to raise additional funds for the Host but with rising food costs the profit margin has been slim (for example I imagine there was little to no profit margin for the catered spread we had in Puerto Rico).

Jeff

So will GMS services be provided by the meet hosts or by the vending contract holder?

knelson
July 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Has anyone floated the idea of having a more expensive GMS that includes tickets to Olympic Trials? I think many people would be interested. The problem, I guess, is these Trials seats would need to be set aside now, and that might not be realistic especially since the number needed isn't known.

jroddin
July 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM
So will GMS services be provided by the meet hosts or by the vending contract holder?

I'm not sure why it matters?? They will be available as part of your "cart" when you enter the meet online (along with merchandise, social tickets, etc.).

Has anyone floated the idea of having a more expensive GMS that includes tickets to Olympic Trials? I think many people would be interested. The problem, I guess, is these Trials seats would need to be set aside now, and that might not be realistic especially since the number needed isn't known.

A special ticket package will be available to USMS members that will include tickets for just the last 4 days of Trials. Details coming soon...

Jeff

pwolf66
July 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure why it matters?? They will be available as part of your "cart" when you enter the meet online (along with merchandise, social tickets, etc.).

Jeff

Well, I can tell you my experience with GMS at Austin was much better than the vendor there and the same with Atlanta.

I would prefer the meet hosts as that seems to have a bit more down home feel than a commercial food vendor might bring.

thewookiee
July 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM

I would prefer the meet hosts as that seems to have a bit more down home feel than a commercial food vendor might bring.

USMS may not have any other options for food vendors if they want to have the meet at the Qwest facility.

We maybe stuck with whatever commerical vendor the center tells USMS to use

Ahelee Sue Osborn
July 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I agree with Wolfy on this.
But is there a co-host LMSC or club for Omaha? Or is USMS the sole host?

Seems to me that Nebraska has a pretty fine masters swimming culture!

thewookiee
July 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I agree with Wolfy on this.
But is there a co-host LMSC or club for Omaha? Or is USMS the sole host?

I don't disagree with Wolf at all. But, USMS may not have any other options, unless they want to move the meet.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
July 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't disagree with Wolf at all. But, USMS may not have any other options, unless they want to move the meet.

Right...

Well heck I'll eat nachos & french fries if it means we get to swim in the Olympic Trials pool!
Totally worth it.

jroddin
July 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Well, I can tell you my experience with GMS at Austin was much better than the vendor there and the same with Atlanta.

My mistake - I misread your original post and were thinking you were wondering who you would buy the GMS from (Host or Qwest).

All food in the venue will be purchased through the Qwest Center's officially licensed vendor (Levy Brothers, I believe). However, they have told us they will provide whatever food items we ask them to provide. Therefore GMS will have some flexibility and so will the concession stands with regard to providing "swimmer friendly" food.

And here is some good news - the vendor has an alcohol license which means beer and wine will be available for sale all throughout the venue...:chug: So start those gridges now - it will be easy to collect right on the spot...:D