PDA

View Full Version : Best NYT Article EVER!

chaos
July 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
OK, I might be a little biased here, but my enthusiastic anticipation of the weekend New York Times has ebbed since the departure of ethics columnist Randy Cohen, but.......... SWIMSUIT ADDICT on the cover of the metropolitan section! (Think I'll go shell out a few bucks for a hard copy.... or 10)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/nyregion/the-revival-of-marathon-swims-comes-to-new-york.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

ViveBene
July 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for this! Suddenly, OW is hot! And a new topic area for journalists to explore, and award credits to the richly deserving!
I love the picture on the 2nd page, of Rose Pitonof.
:bliss:
Lake Michigan is holding above 60 degrees. :)

quicksilver
July 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
What a great article. And kudos to Janet as well. You guys are so hard core it's just unbelievable. Seven days in the water!

I grew up on the Hudson back in the 60's and 70's. People rarely if ever swam in back then. :) They say in the past 20 years it's cleaned up quite nicely. And it's a delight to swim and boat in.

Best of luck to you all.

chaos
July 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
thanks, that IS a great article. nice profile of both you and OW, written without a sugarcoating of superlatives -- you did the sport fine chaos. hope the fund raising goes well!

thank you Mike. I hope I can give back as much as the OW community has given me!

chaos
July 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
What a great article. And kudos to Janet as well. You guys are so hard core it's just unbelievable. Seven days in the water!

I grew up on the Hudson back in the 60's and 70's. People rarely if ever swam in back then. :) They say in the past 20 years it's cleaned up quite nicely. And it's a delight to swim and boat in.

Best of luck to you all.

Thank you QS,

The Hudson is really a joy to swim in, you should join us sometime!

evmo
July 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
The article was, for several hours today, top, front, and center on NYTimes.com, including the photo of Janet. Even on the middle day of a 3-day weekend, I'm willing to bet that exposed more eyeballs to open water swimming than anything since Gertrude Ederle, or at least Diana Nyad.

Congrats to Dave, Rondi, Janet, and everyone in the NYC-area OWS community. It's a remarkable accomplishment.

chaos
July 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
The article was, for several hours today, top, front, and center on NYTimes.com, including the photo of Janet. Even on the middle day of a 3-day weekend, I'm willing to bet that exposed more eyeballs to open water swimming than anything since Gertrude Ederle, or at least Diana Nyad.

Congrats to Dave, Rondi, Janet, and everyone in the NYC-area OWS community. It's a remarkable accomplishment.

Thanks Evan. Who knew it would be so easy to get in the NYT lol.
They should have included a pic of MIMS 2011 rather than 2007 IMHO

swimmerb212
July 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
So great! It's got swimming, The Hudson River, the Hudson Valley, NYC, and some of USMS's best.

My only quibble: I do have a relationship with that chlorine box known as the Poughkeepsie Middle School Pool. But I'll admit I find it a joy to cheat on it with rivers and lakes.

Chris Stevenson
July 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Great article! Well deserved recognition, IMO; congrats, David.

I'd love to see you blogging more about your swims, but I guess you are too busy actually swimming. Keep it up!

chaos
July 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Great article! Well deserved recognition, IMO; congrats, David.

I'd love to see you blogging more about your swims, but I guess you are too busy actually swimming. Keep it up!

thanks Chris. yes, i have been neglecting my blog, but have been crazed all the organizing and planning and work and swimming.
going to try and make to lake placid.... will i see you there?

chaos
July 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Stage 1 tomorrow... 18+ miles from The Rip Van Winkle Bridge to the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge.
Swimmers:
Bill Dailey
Leonard Jansen
Lisa Neidrauer
Janet Harris
Gilles Chalendon
Rondi Davies
David Barra

Chris Stevenson
July 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM
going to try and make to lake placid.... will i see you there?

Not this year, we're vacationing at Lake Tahoe instead (but unfortunately no OW races while we are there).

Enjoy, that's such a gorgeous place to swim.

pendaluft
July 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Good luck and have fun!
It should be spectacular!

aquageek
July 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Great article! What an honor for sure.

chaos
July 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/amandaporteus
will be tweeting live and also updating the 8 Bridges FB page
my twitter is http://twitter.com/#!/dvdbarra

thank you everyone.... THE ADVENTURE IS ON!

Chicken of the Sea
July 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/amandaporteus
will be tweeting live and also updating the 8 Bridges FB page
my twitter is http://twitter.com/#!/dvdbarra

thank you everyone.... THE ADVENTURE IS ON!

Looking forward to following!

Hoosier
July 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Great Article! Congrats!

swimsuit addict
July 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
and now the best NYT follow-up article EVER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/nyregion/marathon-swimmers-finish-hudson-river-trek.html?_r=1

nhc
July 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Awesome! The NY Times' local section had never been so exciting and worth reading :D . Shouldn't there be some medals for the feat?

Which part of the swims were the best (in whatever sense)?

I'm also curious if the reporters themselves are swimmers?

chaos
July 17th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Which part of the swims were the best (in whatever sense)?

Each stage had its own appeal, Stage 1 passed the Saugerties Lighthouse, and had this "OMG, what are we getting into?" kind of excitement to it. Stage 2... a long one... Stage 3 had the largest field, and some fast swims. Stage 4 passed through West Point, Bannermans Castle, Bear and Breakneck Mountains, had an in water press conference with the Riverkeeper Boat. Stage 5 was long and difficult... finished against the incoming flood, passing Indian Point, Sing Sing, etc. Stage 6 was fast, straight and beautiful with the Pallasades rising up from the river's edge. Passed Spuyten Duyvil and finished at the GW in Manhattan.
Stage 7.... amazing... down the NJ side after crossing over around 79th st. A close pass by Liberty Island.... lots of huge ships anchored in the harbor and the Verrazano!

nhc
July 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Was the water more salty in some parts than the rest, or the same?

passing Indian Point, Sing Sing, etc.

Imagine the envy of someone in Sing Sing looking at you through barred windows :D