PDA

View Full Version : Race timer malfunction

Alei
July 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been in an OWS race event where the race timer malfunctioned/didn't work and therefore you did not get your time results.

I just competed in a 3km OWS race over the weekend (here in Japan) (no ankle timer chips) - waited all week for the time results to be released, only to find out that due to some technical issue, that no times will be given to us. Am totally annoyed. I realise that these kind of things happen, but still disappointing to train for and compete in a 3km OWS to not be given a time. Basically paid a 50dollar entry free to just have a swim in a free beach!

Has this ever happened to you?
Also are ankle timer chips the norm in the US? (Apparently not the case in Japan...I've entered in many races here and only once have I had to wear an ankle timer chip).

srcoyote
July 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
About 2/3 of the swims I compete in involve an ankle chip timer. I've never participated in a race in which times were not taken or reported. I would be quite disappointed with the experience you reported.

The only glitch I've experienced in results was a swim in which ankle timers were used. During the 2.4 mile race several folks opted out in the middle, climbed out of the water and crossed the pad registering faster times than they would have had they swum the whole distance. Only some reported they had done so which mixed up the place results. Those that would have falsely received awards did report so it didn't bother me that much. I wasn't in danger of an award in that one, and I got my time. I was satisfied.

philoswimmer
July 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I was in an OW race once where I didn't get my time, but it wasn't the fault of the timer chip -- it was the fault of the race organizers. It was a swim from Alcatraz, "Swim with the Centurions." They told us that there had to be an "in water" start, i.e., that we would tread water and then the gun would go off. Meanwhile, it takes time for everyone to jump off the boat into the water (you're not allowed to set foot on Alcatraz for these swims). And many people, including me, were still on the boat when the gun went off. So, all I know about my time is that it was faster than what was registered. :( I was really ticked off. They kept saying, "it's all about the experience," but if so, then why have the timers? Why have awards? Argh. I would never swim with them again, even though the race was in most other respects well run.

KatieK
July 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Am totally annoyed. I realise that these kind of things happen, but still disappointing to train for and compete in a 3km OWS to not be given a time. Basically paid a 50dollar entry free to just have a swim in a free beach! .
I hate that!!! The races around here have in-water starts and finishes, no chips. They always post a time, but the times can be WAY off. They've got some kind of manual process that doesn't work very well. If anyone switches events or divisions (i.e. wetsuit vs. non-wetsuit) on race day, it screws everything up.

In the last one, my results were off by 1:43 for a 1K. They revised that, and the official result is off by 7 seconds. Seven seconds doesn't sound like much, but it's a long time to be off. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. They were off by at least 3 minutes for a friend of mine. And, they showed one person finishing the 4K in 4 hours. I am pretty that person was swimming a different event .

I always time myself, but it's frustrating not to get accurate results for the entire field. I want to use the race data to compare the conditions and the course from one event to the next. I also want to know how my pace compares with my friends' in other events. In particular, I want to know if I'm faster or slower than the people I routinely beat in the pool. (Unfortunately, I'm often slower.)

I was in an OW race once where I didn't get my time, but it wasn't the fault of the timer chip -- it was the fault of the race organizers. It was a swim from Alcatraz, "Swim with the Centurions." They told us that there had to be an "in water" start, i.e., that we would tread water and then the gun would go off. Meanwhile, it takes time for everyone to jump off the boat into the water (you're not allowed to set foot on Alcatraz for these swims). And many people, including me, were still on the boat when the gun went off. So, all I know about my time is that it was faster than what was registered. :( I was really ticked off. They kept saying, "it's all about the experience," but if so, then why have the timers? Why have awards? Argh. I would never swim with them again, even though the race was in most other respects well run.
Some friends of mine had a similar experience at SharkFest a few weeks ago. They were in the water on time, but they didn't know when the race started. They weren't even sure where the starting line was.

Chicken of the Sea
July 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been in an OWS race event where the race timer malfunctioned/didn't work and therefore you did not get your time results.

I just competed in a 3km OWS race over the weekend (here in Japan) (no ankle timer chips) - waited all week for the time results to be released, only to find out that due to some technical issue, that no times will be given to us. Am totally annoyed. I realise that these kind of things happen, but still disappointing to train for and compete in a 3km OWS to not be given a time. Basically paid a 50dollar entry free to just have a swim in a free beach!

Has this ever happened to you?
Also are ankle timer chips the norm in the US? (Apparently not the case in Japan...I've entered in many races here and only once have I had to wear an ankle timer chip).

Unfortunately not.