PDA

View Full Version : Donner Lake Open Water Swim

philoswimmer
July 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Has anyone else done this swim? Anyone else planning to do it? I'm looking for tips, suggestions of places to stay, etc. Also trying to figure out if the lake area is dog-friendly. Any and all information appreciated.

Here is the info on the swim: http://www.active.com/swim-meet/truckee-ca/31st-annual-donner-lake-open-water-swim-2011?int=29-6

RuffWater
July 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Donner is a FANTASTIC swim. I've done it twice (traveled from VA to do it). Beautiful setting. Great water. Well run. Fun post-race.

Plenty of places to stay around the lake. Don't know about the dog rules.

Chris Stevenson
July 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Wish, wish, wish I could! I've heard good things about it. We will actually be in Tahoe (vacation) one week earlier than that. We'll also miss, by one day, the Tahoe Sharkfest swim (http://www.sharkfestswim.com/default.asp?PageID=20155).

This is a great part of the country.

philoswimmer
July 8th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Donner is a FANTASTIC swim. I've done it twice (traveled from VA to do it). Beautiful setting. Great water. Well run. Fun post-race.

Plenty of places to stay around the lake. Don't know about the dog rules.

Thanks, good to know!

swimthegoodfight
July 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I've done Donner Lake four to five times... there is a holiday inn express very close to the race start... the truckee hotel was good and relatively good value. It is not a chain or boutique hotel.

I wish I could do this swim every year... I would rate it a very high destination swim... historical truckee is a very enjoyable place to visit, and will bring my wife and daughter soon.

A car rental is almost unavoidable if you have to fly... check rates to sacramento, CA and reno, NV - I have found round-trip to sacramento as much as $100 cheaper than reno.

poolraat
July 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Wish, wish, wish I could! I've heard good things about it. We will actually be in Tahoe (vacation) one week earlier than that. We'll also miss, by one day, the Tahoe Sharkfest swim (http://www.sharkfestswim.com/default.asp?PageID=20155).

This is a great part of the country.

Donner is a great swim! Lots of fun. Not doing it this year though, instead I'm going to do the Sharkfest swim. I wish I could do both but 2 consecutive weekends of travelling across the state is too much.

philoswimmer
July 30th, 2011, 01:12 AM
You all make this swim sound so much fun, and I am dying to do it. But now I am hesitating and looking for more advice. I have to register by this Sunday, July 31, or else do the day-of registration, which I'd rather not do.

My story is that I had to be out of town for most of July and wasn't able to swim, although I did a fair bit of high altitude hiking. When I got back in the pool this past Monday, I felt a twinge in my right shoulder during warm up. I kept swimming all week, but I was careful about how I positioned my arm in the water, and I think it felt a little bit better each day as the week went on. I don't know what's wrong with it -- I don't know if it's the dreaded torn rotator cuff because I don't know what that feels like. I do know that it's a twinge I've had before, and I've been able to get it to go away without having to see the doctor.

So, I really want to do this swim. It's one week away. I feel reasonably confident about the distance. I did a two-miler last year in some fairly rough water and I was fine with it, although I am conscious that adding another .7 miles isn't trivial. I grew up swimming in the ocean so open water does not bother me, and cold water doesn't tend to bother me either. But I don't want to blow my shoulder out and be unable to swim for weeks. Am I stupid to contemplate this? Should I just wait until next year? Or if I promise myself to just swim a comfortable pace and not push it too hard (probably what I should do in any case), should I be OK?

E=H2O
July 30th, 2011, 01:34 AM
If I skipped a OW swim everytime I felt a twinge in my shoulder I would end up never swimming again. Just view it as a fun swim not a race. I don't know what you symptoms are, for my shoulder I focus on my hand entering the water flat with my pinkey going in first. I don't know if that will help you. I do a couple of other things that help my particular problem. If you can breathe bilaterally by all means do so. You might even breathe more to the same side as the shoulder

philoswimmer
July 30th, 2011, 01:47 AM
If I skipped a OW swim everytime I felt a twinge in my shoulder I would end up never swimming again. Just view it as a fun swim not a race. I don't know what you symptoms are, for my shoulder I focus on my hand entering the water flat with my pinkey going in first. I don't know if that will help you. I do a couple of other things that help my particular problem. If you can breathe bilaterally by all means do so. You might even breathe more to the same side as the shoulder

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm very comfortable with breathing on both sides, or breathing on just one for awhile, although eventually I always feel the need to switch. But yeah, I can definitely breathe a bit more often on my right side than my left. Fun swim rather than race sounds just right.

philoswimmer
August 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks again for the advice. This was a *great* swim. First of all, it's absolutely gorgeous. You're surrounded by trees and mountains the entire time and it is lovely to look at. Second, it's really hard to screw up the course in any serious way. You start at one end of the lake and swim 2.7 miles to the other end. Sure, you still want to swim straight, and find your way to the correct spot on the beach, but these are relatively easy tasks. Third, the water was not as cold as you'd think a mountain lake would be, even with all the snowfall this year; rumor was that it was 69 degrees. Not warm, but not icy.

Now that I know that I can do it, I think I'll do it again next year and push a little harder. :fish2:

More, to answer the questions I asked at the start of this thread: you can bring a dog to the start, but not to the finish. I stayed at the dog-friendly Inn at Truckee. The hotel was essentially the equivalent of a cheap chain hotel. If you're like me and you like to sleep in a cold room, your choices are an incredibly loud A/C or loud road noise from I-80. Next time, I will splurge and stay someplace nicer.