PDA

View Full Version : Jellyfish scourge threatens Israeli swimmers - and electrici

ALM
July 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Jellyfish scourge threatens Israeli swimmers - and electricity
By Paul Goldman, NBC News Producer

The photos in this article are UNBELIEVABLE. Apparently jellyfish have very few natural enemies, so once they proliferate there's not much to keep them in check.

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/06/7028229-jellyfish-scourge-threatens-israeli-swimmers-and-electricity

Excerpt:

TEL AVIV – During the hot summer months, Israel has always been synonymous with beautiful sandy beaches and swimming in the warm salty waters of the Mediterranean Sea – but not anymore.

It's now a common sight to see scores of dead, gray jellyfish covering the beaches’ white sand while kids poke them with sticks. It's even more common to see bathers running away from the water with big red sting marks.

More than 200 million jellyfish, known here as “Meduzot,” have been attacking Israel, and there is not much anyone can do about it. The jellyfish are an invasive species called Rhopilema Nomadica that originally migrated from the Red Sea.

E=H2O
July 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Where is Sponge Bob when you need him

cathym
July 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
In South Florida there are campaigns to protect the nesting sea turtles. Volunteers patrol the beaches and mark of the areas where there are nests. The beachfront buildings cover their outdoor lights so the turtles don't get confused when they hatch and head for land rather than the ocean. I hope the turtles are prolific-jellyfish stings have ruined several open water swims for me and I am reluctant to go in the ocean during the winter when they are everywhere.

Thrashing Slug
July 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
This reminds me of the book The Swarm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(novel)

A couple of weeks ago I was swimming in Puget Sound and for about a hundred yards every stroke resulted in a handful of moon jellies. It felt like I was swimming in jellyfish soup. Luckily for me I didn't run into any Lion's Manes. A couple of friends brushed up against one of those while swimming in the same area, and it gave them some nasty stings.