PDA

View Full Version : Olympians competing at Nationals

gull
July 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Why is that Swimmer magazine never mentions 1988 Olympian Kirk Stackle in its coverage of Nationals? His name was again conspicuously absent from the list of Olympians who competed in Mesa. He won both the 100 breast and the 100 IM, by the way. Congratulations, Kirk.

pwb
July 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Why is that Swimmer magazine never mentions 1988 Olympian Kirk Stackle in its coverage of Nationals?Good shout out!

swimcat
July 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
swam at texas didn't he.

Editor
July 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Gull,

Thanks for the heads-up. We do our best to find out who the Olympians are before our nationals meets by scouring the registration files, as we like to acknowledge them in the pre-meet press releases as well as in the meet coverage. Quite a few people who are familiar with our Olympian members go through the list. We regret that Kirk was not flagged. We are currently working on a project that will eventually allow us to cross check them electronically.

knelson
July 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM
At Worlds they specifically ask you if you are an Olympian (if I recall correctly) on the entry form. Maybe USMS should have this on Nationals entry forms?

Allen Stark
July 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
How did you miss 1956 Olympian Dave Radcliff.All he did was win the 50,100,200,500,and 1650 free.

gull
July 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM
How did you miss 1956 Olympian Dave Radcliff.All he did was win the 50,100,200,500,and 1650 free.

I don't train with Dave.

jim clemmons
July 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Allen - you're responsible for Dave. Gull - you're resonsible for Kirk. I'll make sure no one misses Roque. Chris Stevenson's gotta look out for himself. Now, how do we divi up the rest?

gull
July 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Kirk has been to Nationals in 2008, 2009, and 2011. Swimmer magazine usually acknowledges the Olympians who were in attendance. I have no idea whether this is meant to be a complete list, but I do know that his name has never been mentioned.

Gail Roper
July 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Here is the list of Olympians who entered Mesa, sent to Erin Shields, meet director, on April 28

Carol Taylor 48
Susan Von der Lippe 80 84 88
David Sims 80
Roque Santos 92
Rick Colella 72,76
Dave Radcliff 56
Josh Davis 96
Steve Clark 64
Jeff Farrell 60
Chris Stevenson 84
Roberto Delgado 96 00
Kirk Stackle 88
Rowdy Gaines 80 84
...add Ed Moses

thewookiee
July 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Here is the list of Olympians who entered Mesa, sent to Erin Shields, meet director, on April 28

Carol Taylor 48
Susan Von der Lippe 80 84 88
David Sims 80
Roque Santos 92
Rick Colella 72,76
Dave Radcliff 56
Josh Davis 96
Steve Clark 64
Jeff Farrell 60
Chris Stevenson 84
Roberto Delgado 96 00
Kirk Stackle 88
Rowdy Gaines 80 84
...add Ed Moses

Josh Davis should also have "00" by his name, since he was a member of the Sydney team as well.

Gail Roper
July 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
RE Olympians in Nationals............I send a list before every Nationals to the meet director for their information and publicity. I'm not sure what they do with it after that. If I miss anyone please let me know. The list is maintained by the History and Archives committee. I'll add a 00 for Josh.

__steve__
July 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Is there a list somewhere of current USMS olympians?

ande
July 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Why is that Swimmer magazine never mentions 1988 Olympian Kirk Stackle in its coverage of Nationals? His name was again conspicuously absent from the list of Olympians who competed in Mesa. He won both the 100 breast and the 100 IM, by the way. Congratulations, Kirk.

His PR rep needed to get in front of that
My guess is it got overlooked.

Just need to drop a note to the editor during the window when corrections can be made or after the fact so an oops can be run and to lessen the likelihood of reoccurance.

ande
July 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Josh Davis should also have "00" by his name, since he was a member of the Sydney team as well.
yep & add our own
chris stevenson 84 (greece)

Frank Thompson
July 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Is there a list somewhere of current USMS olympians?

No. Rather than explain why, I have provided a link to a discussion on this about 3 years ago.

Olympian Masters ? - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

quicksilver
July 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Just a thought, but maybe some of them might prefer to fly under the radar?

Granted most of the ones mentioned have been competing on a regular basis, but it's got to be a very humbling experience for an Olympian to face the competition amongst their particular age group.

Years ago Swimmer did a story on Brian Goodell (http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200509/briangoodell.pdf). He had a great mindset in not being too concerned about swimming all that fast. For him the second time around was more about fun.

Glenn
July 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Quicksilver,

A friendly reminder......just as there are no former Marines, there are no former Olympians.:)

quicksilver
July 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Quicksilver,

A friendly reminder......just as there are no former Marines, there are no former Olympians.:)

Very true. :)

...retired doesn't sound quite right either.

pmccoy
July 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Last spring, a player ended up on my U14 soccer team who was 2 years younger than everyone else but easily one of my top 3 players. His dad offered to help out. I knew the dad had a decent amount of experience (far more than I have) and I tried everything I could to get him to take on more coaching so I could watch and learn. He never would. Seemed like he either didn't want to overstep any boundaries with me or he just wanted his son to enjoy playing without too much input from him. I later found out he played for the US in the 1988 Olympics and 1990 World Cup. He never hinted to me anything of the sort. Just a humble guy flying under the radar.

swimshark
July 13th, 2011, 06:59 AM

That's why my coach won't compete now. He says he has a big target on his back. He's too busy coaching 3 practices a day to get in any quality training and doesn't want to swim too slow :D. But I'm still working on him....

lefty
July 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
That's why my coach won't compete now. He says he has a big target on his back. He's too busy coaching 3 practices a day to get in any quality training and doesn't want to swim too slow :D. But I'm still working on him....

Coaching 3 times a day takes what, 6 hours? Not saying, just saying. I could be wrong, but I think the "target" is actually your coach's type A, I don't do anything unless I am the very (very) best at it; it is a self-imposed target.

quicksilver
July 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It probably would be fairly accurate to say that most Olympians have (or had) a very strong drive to achieve...type A, or B or whatever.

Someone like Mark Spitz for example certainly would have stirred up the competition had he ever entered a meet. Surely the target would have been placed on him in terms of poolside bragging rights whether he wanted it or not!

lefty
July 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Someone like Mark Spitz for example certainly would have stirred up the competition had he ever entered a meet. Surely the target would have been placed on him in terms of poolside bragging rights whether he wanted it or not!

I agree his presence would create a buzz. But the "target," hmmm I just dont see it. People don't actually work that way. I mean really, is someone going to take down SPitz in a 100 fly and start telling everyone it should have been them to win 7 medals in Munich? I doubt it. I know that Spitz has claimed that, but really this is the same guy who thought he could come back without training for 17 years and make the Olympic team. Part of what makes anyone that successful is a huge ego, and part of having a huge ego is taking an extreme "ME vs the WORLD" attitude.

gull
July 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Kirk (Stackle) trains hard and competes hard. He and Roque Santos had some close races in Clovis. My point was that his status as an Olympian should have been acknowledged. I appreciate Laura's response.

__steve__
July 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Somewhat on topic, this thread informed me of something I was unaware. Nonetheless, for one to be both low key olympian and elite masters swimmer merits top athletic character in my book.

Please excuse my lack of worthyness to even comment.:bow:

swimshark
July 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Coaching 3 times a day takes what, 6 hours? Not saying, just saying. I could be wrong, but I think the "target" is actually your coach's type A, I don't do anything unless I am the very (very) best at it; it is a self-imposed target.

I'm not sure how Type A he is now. He's very laid back but I can see him not wanting to get in and go too much slower than his glory days. As for coaching, he's on the deck at least 6 hours plus he has to maintain a pool that our team runs plus does all the meet entries. He's working, easily 10 hours a day.

Chris Stevenson
July 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Kirk (Stackle) trains hard and competes hard. He and Roque Santos had some close races in Clovis. My point was that his status as an Olympian should have been acknowledged. I appreciate Laura's response.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but even if it wasn't acknowledged in SWIMMER, I think the announcer definitely mentioned it during at least some of Stackle's races in Mesa. If anything, I think that is probably more important than post-meet mentions in SWIMMER.

I am of two minds about the issue. On the one hand, I think USMS has to fight a little bit against the notion that it is only for elite swimmers, especially at a venue like nationals. I don't want members who started swimming as adults to think they aren't welcome, or fast enough. Also (as this thread shows) the logistics can be daunting: if you acknowledge one, you feel like you have to catch them all, or risk offending someone.

On the other hand, it can certainly create some buzz, particularly (not meaning to be "ageist") with younger studs like Ed Moses. It was a lot of fun to watch him swim in Mesa.

gull
July 13th, 2011, 03:01 PM
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but even if it wasn't acknowledged in SWIMMER, I think the announcer definitely mentioned it during at least some of Stackle's races in Mesa. If anything, I think that is probably more important than post-meet mentions in SWIMMER.

Some of our teammates spoke to the announcer in Mesa; Kirk is proud of his status as an Olympian but would not have done it himself.

knelson
July 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
On the one hand, I think USMS has to fight a little bit against the notion that it is only for elite swimmers, especially at a venue like nationals.

The flip-side to this is it could be pretty cool for the novices competing at Nationals to know they are competing in the same pool as some of the all-time greats in the sport.

thewookiee
July 13th, 2011, 03:38 PM
The flip-side to this is it could be pretty cool for the novices competing at Nationals to know they are competing in the same pool as some of the all-time greats in the sport.

Heck, some of us might even try to see how long we can keep up with them. That was my thinking at a meet where I was in a lane next to Chris S. We were swimming the 100 backstroke. I thought it would be cool to see how long I could keep up with him during the race. That thought changed as soon as we heard the starting beep. Chris was goooooooooooooooooooooooooone!

Michael Heather
July 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
It may be too much to ask, but are there any efforts to identify Olympians from other sports? Looks like other countries in swimming are covered, if only from self identification.

Until his untimely death (at a swim meet) a few years ago, Perry O'Brien (56, 60, 64 shot put) was a regular in Southern Pacific and at Nationals.

Gail Roper
July 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
The list of Olympians in USMS is being constructed and will be up on the web site asap. It does contain Olympians from other sports and Parry is included as well as Dwight Stones.

quicksilver
July 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
If you are an Olympian, you will be found out. :)

Chris Stevenson
August 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
If you are an Olympian, you will be found out. :)

Pretty nifty new page:

http://www.usms.org/hist/oly/

knelson
August 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Very cool! Now what do we need to do to get most of the swimmers on that list (who are still alive and capable) to attend a USMS Nationals? There are lots of people on that list I had no idea were ever USMS members.

Lump
August 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Pretty nifty new page:

http://www.usms.org/hist/oly/

They are missing my buddy: Carlton Bruner, 1500 Free, 1996 Atlanta

Chris Stevenson
August 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I probably should say: if you see anyone missing, report it here

http://www.usms.org/admin/email.php?To=Olympians+In+USMS&a=olympians

Gail Roper
August 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
We expected that there might be some Olympians we overlooked. First we check out their status with the USOC and then the USMS registration database. Carlton Bruned is indeed an Olympian and we will gladly add him after we check with USMS.
Anyone else missing? Send names and where they are swimmng to either myself at gailswim@earthlink.net or Anna Lea Matuzek. Thanks for the information.

Frank Thompson
August 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM
We expected that there might be some Olympians we overlooked. First we check out their status with the USOC and then the USMS registration database. Carlton Bruned is indeed an Olympian and we will gladly add him after we check with USMS.
Anyone else missing? Send names and where they are swimmng to either myself at gailswim@earthlink.net or Anna Lea Matuzek. Thanks for the information.

Looks good to me.

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenind.php?SwimmerID=02EE1

swimshark
August 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Very cool! Now what do we need to do to get most of the swimmers on that list (who are still alive and capable) to attend a USMS Nationals? There are lots of people on that list I had no idea were ever USMS members.

I agree. I'm still working on my coach. One of these days...