PDA

View Full Version : Backstroke and 500 free help

Purple Swimmer
July 13th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I guess I'll make this sort of an introduction thread as well. I'll make that part quick so we can move on to business.

I started swimming a year ago. By "swimming" I mean training for competitive swimming. I had already known how to swim all the strokes. I was a freshman going into sophomore year in high school at the time. What you need to know is that I taught myself all the turns, racing techniques, and starts by watching YouTube videos (NOT expert village) and practice. To prepare for my swim team in the winter, I swam 500s and 1000s to build up my endurance. I wasn't really sure what to expect, and I had know idea what stroke I would be good at.

When time came, I found myself in the distance world, swimming 500 freestyle races. I swam 6:40ish 500s. For a noob swimmer, I've found that isn't half bad, and I got like 3rd or 2nd place in my races. Bu the other 3 events I had to do I usually sucked at. My coach put me on breaststroke races, and I didn't know how to sprint. (as in, I didn't figure out until half way through the season that you need to hold your breath in sprints) So aside from the 500, I did crappy. I think the only reason I didn't fail as much at the 500 was that I had spent all summer and fall swimming 500s and 1000s in preparation.

In the spring I didn't have time to do anything, since I was too caught up in school work. But as soon as summer came again, I hit the pool just like the previous summer. This time, with a better idea of the swimming world. As soon as I started training, I found I could swim a 29 second 50 back stroke. Now, to some of you people here that are very advanced, you probably think that sucks, but I think it's good considering I've never had any formal back stroke training. So, I've decided to build off of that. That, and 500 free style. I'm going to make those my main events, and go from there.

So my main question is, what sort of workouts should I be doing to improve at this point? I've been able to hold a 37 second 50 back stroke for 10 intervals so far on the minute. But my 100s are really suffering. I'm swimming 1:20 intervals on the 100 only 5 times in a row before I have to stop. My main problem with back stroke is also the start. My dolphin kick is weak, and I could stand to improve it. Finally, my 500 is still where it was before. I'm trying to push it down sub 6:30 before the season. I'm not really sure where to start with the 500. There's nothing particularly wrong with it. I just need to increase my endurance I guess.

As I was saying, based on this whole.....essay (lol) that I've written, what sort of advice do you any of you have to give? I'm doing whatever I can at this point to improve. I don't know what it is, but I've fallen in love with swimming and just want to keep getting better. Keep in mind, I'm still a beginner, and still have a lot to learn. I really appreciate any help I get from you veteran swimmers. Thanks a thousand. :angel:

knelson
July 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I found I could swim a 29 second 50 back stroke. Now, to some of you people here that are very advanced, you probably think that sucks

You kidding? That's awesome for someone just starting out!

My opinion is what you really need is some one-on-one coaching. I'm sure watching youtube videos is OK, but you really need someone watching you and giving constant feedback on your technique. That's the number one thing you can do to get better.

Jazz Hands
July 13th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Switch to sprinting.

ande
July 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hey Purple

you want to improve your 500 fr & backstroke probably the 50 & 100, especially your bk start & dolphin kick which we call streamline dolphin kick or SDK

you asked What sort of workouts should I be doing to improve at this point?

500 FR:
you need to TRAIN
work on speed, speed endurance, aerobic capacity, pacing, & racing
you may need to improve your freestyle technique, but nobody can help you on that unless they see you swim above and underwater and look for mistakes to correct

The 500 is about what pace can you hold for 10 50's
6:30 is holding 39's per 50 or 19.5 per 25
which isn't that fast
to improve your pace you MUST TRAIN, More is better.

How many times a week do you train?

How far do you go per practice?

What paces can you hold?

The basic idea on workouts is be frequent, challenging and mix it up,
do various kinds of sets to improve each system.

Tip 72 Sets Education Tip 73 More Sets Education

Create positive training habits
like always do your best, always 6 beat kick on freestyle, & perfect streamlines on every pushoff
there's bunches more

you can get work out ideas from the following several blogs:

Middle Distance: Chris Stevenson (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=6428) & Patrick (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=5013)

Sprint / Bk / SDK Leslie Livingston (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=4677)

Mine Current (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=3156) & my old blog Mar 2005 - Sep 2008
I pick seasonal projects and change my focus events. Some seasons I've focused on 50's & speed, sometimes middle distance.

READ Swim FASTER FASTER SFF & apply ideas from it

Tip 1 SWIM FAST IN PRACTICE

Tips 265 Train harder, smarter, faster, further, more often with a
positive attitude, coached by a
great coach, with
fast fun positive hard working team mates, in a
convenient facility with adequate lane space & at
convenient times while having
tons of fun.

Anything you do and measure improves.

There's also ASK Ande

I wrote some useful advice for the 500 in this thread

Backstroke

STARTS: do 5 a day

SDK: work to improve your SDK
SDK advice for a 5 year old and
Help my SDK is Horrible

Train backstroke for speed.

~ ~ ~

I suggest you train at least 6 times a week, preferably 9 or 10
Train everyday if you can
do doubles mon, wed & fri
swim 90 min to 2 hrs per practice
it doesn't sound like you have any meets coming up so build up to mid season training.

Swim FAST in practice
Have FUN

Ande

ElaineK
July 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
(as in, I didn't figure out until half way through the season that you need to hold your breath in sprints)

You should never hold your breath ( :afraid: )! (Forumites; please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be let out slowly to avoid passing out?)

Purple, best wishes to you! Most of all, have fun! :cheerleader:

Chris Stevenson
July 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Kirk is right about the value of getting feedback on your technique. Number one priority for sure.

Doing 100s on a 1:20 is not training for the 100 back, that is training for the 200. For the 100, you need to train to hold onto your 50 speed even when your muscles start to scream at you.

One possibility is to do some broken 100s, with pretty much rest between efforts. Try doing them with 10 sec at the 50, and also try with 5 sec at both 50 and 75. Do flip turns (ie, foot touch) until the finish, to train yourself to flip even when tired. Fast 75s (straight) are also good. These should be intense efforts with at least 1-2 min rest between them. Don't do them two days in a row.

Work on your kick. Whether or not you decide to use dolphin kicks a lot, backstroke is a leg-intensive stroke. Once your legs go, you're toast.

knelson
July 13th, 2011, 10:55 AM
(Forumites; please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be let out slowly to avoid passing out?)

I doubt letting your breath out slowly does anything to help you avoid passing out unless it causes you to breathe earlier than you would if you were merely holding your breath. The only thing that will cause you to pass out is lack of oxygen to the brain and obviously this will happen eventually if you don't inhale.

Sorry, I just don't think this is good advice for a beginning swimmer. The first step is getting one's technique down. After you've done that THEN start thinking about training hard. Otherwise you're just ingraining poor technique into your muscle memory.

Purple Swimmer
July 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
You kidding? That's awesome for someone just starting out!

My opinion is what you really need is some one-on-one coaching. I'm sure watching youtube videos is OK, but you really need someone watching you and giving constant feedback on your technique. That's the number one thing you can do to get better.

I forgot to mention this in the thread, but I'm actually taking a technique class right now from a coach who sometimes coaches down at Harvard. In other words, he knows his stuff. It's not really hard physically, it's more of a strain mentally. I've been learning loads about technique from him. So I got that covered so far.

Hey Purple

you want to improve your 500 fr & backstroke probably the 50 & 100, especially your bk start & dolphin kick which we call streamline dolphin kick or SDK

you asked What sort of workouts should I be doing to improve at this point?

500 FR:
you need to TRAIN
work on speed, speed endurance, aerobic capacity, pacing, & racing
you may need to improve your freestyle technique, but nobody can help you on that unless they see you swim above and underwater and look for mistakes to correct

The 500 is about what pace can you hold for 10 50's
which isn't that fast
to improve your pace you MUST TRAIN, More is better.

What paces can you hold?

The basic idea on workouts is be frequent, challenging and mix it up,
do various kinds of sets to improve each system.

Tip 72 Sets Education (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=39346&postcount=273) Tip 73 More Sets Education (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=39483&postcount=274)

Create positive training habits
like always do your best, always 6 beat kick on freestyle, & perfect streamlines on every pushoff
there's bunches more

you can get work out ideas from the following several blogs:

Middle Distance: Chris Stevenson (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=6428) & Patrick (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=5013)

Sprint / Bk / SDK Leslie Livingston (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=4677)

Mine Current (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=3156) & my old blog Mar 2005 - Sep 2008 (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4298)
I pick seasonal projects and change my focus events. Some seasons I've focused on 50's & speed, sometimes middle distance.

READ Swim FASTER FASTER (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237620&postcount=1589) SFF & apply ideas from it

Tip 1 SWIM FAST IN PRACTICE

Tips 265 Train harder, smarter, faster, further, more often with a
positive attitude, coached by a
great coach, with
fast fun positive hard working team mates, in a
convenient facility with adequate lane space & at
convenient times while having
tons of fun.

Anything you do and measure improves.

There's also ASK Ande (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4418)

I wrote some useful advice for the 500 (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=241122&postcount=1522) in this thread

Backstroke

STARTS: do 5 a day

SDK: work to improve your SDK
SDK advice for a 5 year old (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=244686&postcount=1642) and
Help my SDK is Horrible (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10130)

Train backstroke for speed.

~ ~ ~

it doesn't sound like you have any meets coming up so build up to mid season training.

Swim FAST in practice
Have FUN

Ande

Thanks a million man. I'm gonna be up all night reading all these blogs. And believe me, I will read all of them.

You should never hold your breath ( :afraid: )! (Forumites; please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be let out slowly to avoid passing out?)

Purple, best wishes to you! Most of all, have fun! :cheerleader:

I'm talking about doing a sprint 50 freestyle. I've been told that you're not supposed to breathe much if you're doing a sprint in a meet because it slows you down. But obviously, during practice if I'm swimming sprints, I'm going to breathe more than I would in a meet.

Kirk is right about the value of getting feedback on your technique. Number one priority for sure.

Doing 100s on a 1:20 is not training for the 100 back, that is training for the 200. For the 100, you need to train to hold onto your 50 speed even when your muscles start to scream at you.

One possibility is to do some broken 100s, with pretty much rest between efforts. Try doing them with 10 sec at the 50, and also try with 5 sec at both 50 and 75. Do flip turns (ie, foot touch) until the finish, to train yourself to flip even when tired. Fast 75s (straight) are also good. These should be intense efforts with at least 1-2 min rest between them. Don't do them two days in a row.

Work on your kick. Whether or not you decide to use dolphin kicks a lot, backstroke is a leg-intensive stroke. Once your legs go, you're toast.

I like the broken 100s idea. Just swimming interval 100s wasn't really working for me. Also, I've been working on my kick. My flutter is very good, but as said previously, I'm still working on my dolphin and SDK. I guess that's something that won't change over night. I just need to keep practicing with those.

jaadams1
July 13th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sorry, I just don't think this is good advice for a beginning swimmer. The first step is getting one's technique down. After you've done that THEN start thinking about training hard. Otherwise you're just ingraining poor technique into your muscle memory.

+1

I don't even get in that kind of swimming, and I compete in distance races, and have swum competitively since I was 7 years old. Shoot, even 3-4 days a week at 45 minutes to an hour is good enough to get a base amount of yardage in for most swimming distances.
I only get in 5-6 1 hour long practices a week during the season.

which isn't that fast

85-90% of the masters swimmers I swim with (in the LMSC) would love to be able to go that fast. Yes, for the elites, it's not that fast, but for the average swimmer, a 6:30 is quite difficult.

Purple Swimmer
July 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM

What paces can you hold?

I forgot to answer this.

I train 5 times a week as of now. Saturday is weight room day. And sunday is my day off.

For backstroke, I'll swim about 3000-4000 per practice. For the 500, it's more like 5000-6000.

As for what paces I can hold, I believe I've already covered it.

pwb
July 13th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I forgot to answer this.

I train 5 times a week as of now. Saturday is weight room day. And sunday is my day off.

For backstroke, I'll swim about 3000-4000 per practice. For the 500, it's more like 5000-6000.

As for what paces I can hold, I believe I've already covered it.I'm with Kirk and James in terms of how much to work out and that your emphasis now should be on getting your technique better and ingraining that into your muscle memory. I think a total training volume on a weekly basis in the ~20K yards range is fine; you're still young and have plenty of time to increase the volume over time.

Another way for you to get technique pointers would be to have someone videotape you racing and then post it here. I imagine you'll get a lot of pointers.

Do you have access to a USA Swimming or US Masters Swimming club you can train with or are you training solo? If you can find a coach/club where you can train consistently, that should help you on a lot of levels -- technique, variety, speed, seeing other swimmers 'live' and learning from them, seeing the 'art of the possible' (e.g., you might think you'll never go under 1:00 in the 100 backstroke, but if you see a training partner do it and you know you're close to that training partner in workout, it should boost your confidence), etc.

Switch to sprinting.Purple, follow Jazz's thread on lifting (Swim Faster Stronger - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums), but stick with the 500 and backstroke focus for now. There will be much more satisfaction in dropping multiple seconds in your 500 than in dropping multiple tenths in your 50s. Plus, if you're already doing 5K to 6K workouts, clearly you don't have the swimming ADD that affects sprinters who start to get confused once the lap count goes above 4 ;) :bolt:

knelson
July 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't even get in that kind of swimming, and I compete in distance races, and have swum competitively since I was 7 years old. Shoot, even 3-4 days a week at 45 minutes to an hour is good enough to get a base amount of yardage in for most swimming distances.

I read that Steve West is training about three days per week, one hour per practice, and he qualified for Olympic Trials in the 200 breast at age 39!

I'm not saying this is all the training anyone needs, but it does prove that it's not all about pure time in the pool or yardage!

jjswim
July 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I read that Steve West is training about three days per week, one hour per practice, and he qualified for Olympic Trials in the 200 breast at age 39!

I'm not saying this is all the training anyone needs, but it does prove that it's not all about pure time in the pool or yardage!

To be fair, Steve West built a huge aerobic base very early on at Golden West before switching to Irvine Nova under Salo, where he swam onto the National team under less yardage but a far more intense race-oriented training program.

It's believed by most coaches that the aerobic base is key, and once it's built, the gains it produces can be sustained on far less yardage. There are lots of examples of this in Masters.

Purple, the energy systems needed to swim fast at the 100 back and the 500 free couldn't be more diametrically opposed. If you're going 29 in the 50 back, and 6:40 in the 500, it sounds like you may be more naturally-oriented towards sprint/middle distance. What do you go in the 200 free?

Purple Swimmer
July 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Ok guys it's been awhile. I've been busy training :) As said before, I got a guy that coaches up at Harvard to help coach my technique. I meet 2-3 times a week, and basically work on technique for all 4 strokes. It's usually only about 1000-2000 in total, but it's been very helpful.

So far, I've learned much more to benefit my freestyle then my back stroke. My back stroke had a few problems, which I'm trying to fix. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to swim intense sets with the changes I've made to my back stroke. As for freestyle, he really worked on refining my glide, and it's really helped! Now, I've found I can swim 15+ 50s on the minute at 36s or less, something I wasn't able to do before. At the moment, I'm trying to pull of 5 100s on 2 minutes intervals at 1:12 or less for each. But I'm currently averaging mostly 1:14s or 1:15s. Because of all this improvement, I tested myself and found that I'm now swimming a 6:26 500. I'm glad to see that I'm improving. :)

As for back stroke, it's been rough. I'm not improving much because I'm still trying to master some of the changes my instructor brought to my attention. I'm not really sure how to explain the problems, but has to do with my pull. Until I master this to the point I don't have to think, it's hard for me to apply many of the exercises the nice people here told me to do.

Finally, I'm decreasing the amount I do per workout. As many of you said, a lot of it was unnecessary. A 3000-4000 intense workout that pushes my barriers has helped a whole hell of a lot more than a 5000-6000 workout that just has me too fatigued by the end (not tired or out of breath) that I'm having difficulty reaching the intervals I want to make for my sets.

In short, I'm improving, especially on the 500 freestyle. Thanks for all the help so far. :D

Purple Swimmer
August 9th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Ok another update. I've been doing a lot of 10 x 50s on the minute, and 5 x 100s on 2 minutes in order to improve my 500 freestyle. Today, my 10 x 50 set went like this:

1. 32s
2. 33s
3. 34s
4. 33s
5. 34s
6. 33s
7. 33s
8. 34s
9. 35s
10. 32s (I go all out on the last of my sets)

So as you can see, I've been improving. My 5 X 100s set went like this:

1. 1:12
2. 1:13
3. 1:15
4. 1:13
5. 1:11 (I go as fast as I can on the last of my sets)

My goal is to bring these down to 1:12s or below. Once I do that, I plan to start 200 sets. I've also been swimming some untimed 250s and 500s at around 6:30 500 pace, or 39s splits on the 50s. Unfortunately, it's hard to time long distance sets myself because the clock at my pool that's used for timing only operates by seconds. I might try and get a friend to help me time some of my sets, or I'll try and find a water proof timer.

As for backstroke, my SDK is finally where I want it to be, and I would consider my start to be very solid. I've been doing 10 X 50s on 1:10 for back stroke. My set today went like this:

1. 33s
2. 35s
3. 36s
4. 36s
5. 38s
6. 37s
7. 39s
8. 37s
9. 35s
10. 32s (I go as fast as I can on the last of my sets)

I also did some 8 X 75s on 1:40. But the timing got so messed up that I can't remember the times I got for this set.

So in total, I've been swimming about 3000-3500 each day I train.

I've been training my backstroke a little bit like I'm training for long distance. Anyone have any ideas for sets that are more appropriate for someone looking to do 50 and 100 backstroke races? Thanks.

jaadams1
August 10th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Ok another update. I've been doing a lot of 10 x 50s on the minute, and 5 x 100s on 2 minutes in order to improve my 500 freestyle. Today, my 10 x 50 set went like this:

1. 32s
2. 33s
3. 34s
4. 33s
5. 34s
6. 33s
7. 33s
8. 34s
9. 35s
10. 32s (I go all out on the last of my sets)

So as you can see, I've been improving. My 5 X 100s set went like this:

1. 1:12
2. 1:13
3. 1:15
4. 1:13
5. 1:11 (I go as fast as I can on the last of my sets)

My goal is to bring these down to 1:12s or below. Once I do that, I plan to start 200 sets. I've also been swimming some untimed 250s and 500s at around 6:30 500 pace, or 39s splits on the 50s. Unfortunately, it's hard to time long distance sets myself because the clock at my pool that's used for timing only operates by seconds. I might try and get a friend to help me time some of my sets, or I'll try and find a water proof timer.

These are good sets, but I think you should try to drop your interval down slowly over time, while trying to maintain the same swim speed for each 50/100 like you have above.
Rather than the 1:00 for the 50s, try the :55 and then :50 interval, but maintain the 33s. It may take time, but you'll get there.
Do the same for the set of 100s, drop the interval, but still shoot for the 1:12s.
You will find your distance endurance will begin improving a lot over time. Don't expect huge success right away. Take it easy on your step-downs, as this will be tough on your body. Ideally it would be good to have approximately :10 of rest or so between 100s. When you race your 500, you don't get that recovery time after each 100.

Purple Swimmer
October 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Again long time no see eh? :) I've been training. But not in the sense some of you probably expected to hear.

Since my last post, I took a trip to the physical therapist to check on my shoulder I injured about a year ago, which prevented me from doing the Fly. However, he said I could start swimming the Fly again, and that my shoulder was fully healed. So I decided to do some IM training. This was back in late August/early September. Unfortunately, I can't quite remember everything I did, or the times I did them at, but here's an example of the kinds of sets I was doing:
SCY
5 X 100
1. 75 fr, 25 bu
2. 75 fr, 25 br
3. 75 ba, 25 bu
4. 75 ba, 25 br
5. 50 fr, 50 ba

3 X 300
-First 100 IM order
-Second 100 Fr
-Third 100 IM order

This training only lasted 2 weeks or so. I then began my Cross Country training for my high school team. I've been doing 7-10 miles a day in XC (cross country) for the past month or so. Now I know this isn't the same as swimming, but it has helped a lot with my aerobic fitness.

Yesterday, while at my job (lifeguard), I had a free hour and a half to do whatever. I was a bit hot, so I decided to do some swimming in the pool. I was wearing my jammers and everything. I did my regular 10 X 50s Backstroke sets to see where I was. Surprisingly enough, I found it easy to maintain 34s and 35s on this set, something where I had struggled to maintain 39s in the past.

In about a month from now, I will be back in the pool training regularly for swim season, which starts for me after Thanks Giving. So far, XC seems to be doing wonders for my fitness ability, which has helped a lot in the pool for some reason. Maybe I should start doing Triathlons. ;)

In any case, thanks for all the set ideas, guys. They've really helped my backstroke. I don't know if I'm going to focus as much on my 500 anymore. It's starting to look like a lost cause. Based on what I've written in the past, and the present, anymore set suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

orca1946
October 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM
WOW! Are you off to a great start! keep on learning more about each stroke with the coach & you have a good future ahead of you. :applaud:

Purple Swimmer
November 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
The Cross Country season is finally over for me! I haven't been in the pool since last time I posted, due to the intense commitment I've had to make to running, but I'm back in business starting tomorrow! I can't wait to see how my times have improved (hopefully) given my huge increase in cardiovascular fitness. My swim season starts on November 28th. I can't train everyday, but I plan to train 4-6 times a week up until the start of the season. I'll post my splits tomorrow.

orca1946
November 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Let us know how things are going for you!

kaffrinn
November 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
As someone looking to improve her sprint backstroke times this season, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Good luck this season, and keep us posted!

Purple Swimmer
November 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Last night was complete bull crap. The pool was packed when I got there. I kept being interrupted during my sets because the lanes were being moved for lessons. Eventually, I was circle swimming with two other people going incredibly slow. So, I didn't get very reliable times on my splits. By the end, I was just trying to get through the workout, I wasn't even timing anymore. I guess I'll need to find better times to get to the pool.

As for today, I didn't make it to the pool, but I did a 6 mile run followed by my daily core training. This consists of:

2 x 50 leg lifts
90 seconds of mason twists
4 sets of plank involving raising legs, arms, switching to side plank, etc. These were about 2:00-3:00 each.

It's not swimming, but when I can't make it to a pool, keeping up my aerobic fitness is the next best thing.

Tomorrow, I should be able to get some good pool time, if I go early. I'll be doing my backstroke sets tomorrow. I'll post what I get done. Hopefully, it will be much better then yesterday or today.

Fresnoid
November 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Last night was complete bull crap. The pool was packed when I got there. I kept being interrupted during my sets because the lanes were being moved for lessons. Eventually, I was circle swimming with two other people going incredibly slow. So, I didn't get very reliable times on my splits. By the end, I was just trying to get through the workout, I wasn't even timing anymore. I guess I'll need to find better times to get to the pool.

As for today, I didn't make it to the pool, but I did a 6 mile run followed by my daily core training. This consists of:

2 x 50 leg lifts
90 seconds of mason twists
4 sets of plank involving raising legs, arms, switching to side plank, etc. These were about 2:00-3:00 each.

It's not swimming, but when I can't make it to a pool, keeping up my aerobic fitness is the next best thing.

Tomorrow, I should be able to get some good pool time, if I go early. I'll be doing my backstroke sets tomorrow. I'll post what I get done. Hopefully, it will be much better then yesterday or today.

Why are you working out on your own instead of joining the nearest US Swimming club?

Purple Swimmer
November 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Although the last time I posted, workouts weren't going so well, I was able to finally get in the pool. I found myself capable of holding 36 second backstroke 50s in splits. In 100s, I was able to hold 1:12s. As for Freestyle, I've been holding down 33s and 34s mostly while doing 10-15x 50 sets. For 100s, it's been 1:10. And 200s, it's been 2:20s. So, I made some progress!

The season officially has started for me! Thanks to all the training tips I got from you guys, I found myself moving up two lanes on my team! (We put swimmers in lanes based on speed) So, now I'm in lane 2, the second fastest lane! Today, we did some kick sets 8 X 75s. And 8 X 50s, odds stroke, evens freestyle. Everything was on one minute. Then, we did 6 X 50s stroke, on 1:10. One minute break. 6 X 50s freestyle on :50. One minute break. And then the same as the first set. Those were the main sets. Unfortunately, I'm having a harder time remembering splits with four other people in the lane with me. I guess I need to get better at that, but I felt just as fast as I was in training.

Why are you working out on your own instead of joining the nearest US Swimming club?

Because the swim clubs in my area are either too competitive for me, too easy, or too expensive. My parents said, "If you want to swim, you do it on your own time off season." Besides, unlike many people my age, I'm motivated enough to keep on going to the pool.

Purple Swimmer
December 1st, 2011, 11:05 PM
In preparation for tomorrow's meet, we did a lot of short, but intense sets today. We did an 8 X 75, each 25 in IM order. We did a 6 X 50 IM order except for freestyle on the minute, followed by a 6 X 50 freestyle on :50. And 18 X 25s freestyle on :25. Those were the main sets. There was a warmup, some kicks sets, pull sets, and a cool-down.

We also practiced our relay starts, as tomorrow's meet only has relays. It's the annual Relay Carnival, and has all the teams in the league there. While practicing starts, I found out that I'm swimming the backstroke in the 200 medley, freestyle in the 200 freestyle relay, and the 100 IM in the 3-man 300 IM relay. The last one is unexpected. I guess I'm happy I did some IM work towards the beginning of my swim season. :) Wish me luck! I'll post the results tomorrow, or the day after depending on how tired I am after the meet. We don't get back until like 10:00, or some outrageous time like that.