PDA

View Full Version : other "hobbies"

sparx35
October 5th, 2003, 03:33 PM
do any of you do other spare time things,i do model helicopter flying which zaps a lot of my time too,?

JC_FLY
October 5th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I play football baseball and Dive

Conniekat8
October 5th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Drawing, painting, computers, 3D modelling and rendering, crafts craft crafts, some sculpture, rollerblading, artsy fartsy stuff, home dedorating...
I think I'm just gonna have to quit working all together, so I can keep up with my hobbies.

cinc3100
October 6th, 2003, 02:25 AM
One time twenty years ago I was involved with the SCA. A group that recreates the middle ages. THey even fight with armor and wooden swords. Their still around I read an article in my newspaper about a local group here.

eliana2003
October 6th, 2003, 05:44 AM
freelance writing, crochet, volunteer work, helping with my husband's business (and doing my own job) and vegetarian cooking (I make a mean curry!)

Leonard Jansen
October 6th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Other than my (sur)real day job: Horse stabling business including some horse rescue work, horse treat business (www.verygourmet.com), fiction writing, about to start a major house remodelling project, soapmaking (am being pushed to make this a larger business), coach racewalking, sleep occasionally.

jerrycat
October 6th, 2003, 09:07 AM
business owner (that's really work, probably doesn't count?), weight training, yoga (new to it), hiking, cooking, hand sewing, and birdfeeding/watching (Designated crazy bird lady in the neighborhood who watches the trees and feeders with binaculors).

All of you are so interesting! It's great to be able to chat with you, and you make my day bright.

Leonard, I'm interested in the soap...

Jerrycat

PS--Have an awesome Monday!!! :D

laineybug
October 6th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Genealogy, and learning and preserving fine needle work/lace making/tatting/smocking techniques. I also design Christening gowns and use the antique needle work, tatting and smocking on them... the last gown I did (it was a gift for a friend) was valued at and insured for $800.00... took me three months to complete. Lets not forget grandchildren! This time of year you can find me on most Saturdays watching football or going to UGA games. And, I love having friends over.

exrunner
October 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM
With two babies in the house, my main hobbies are changing diapers and playing peekaboo.

Other than swimming, I play golf, and read a lot (modern philosophy, politics, current events).

Hobbies I don't have much time for these days: chess, guns (target shooting, not collecting), playing piano and trumpet, and listening to music (mostly "classical"). Someday, someday...

lefty
October 6th, 2003, 01:47 PM
I play/study scrabble

KenChertoff
October 6th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Hmmm -- does wasting time on the internet count? :D

Tom Ellison
October 6th, 2003, 03:51 PM
HUNTING...HUNTING, HUNTING, HUNTING, HUNTING

Gil
October 6th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Reading the general discussions on this site, attending two book clubs, Treasurer of Friends of the Library, teaching swimming to my 4 grandchildren, listening to jazz and swing music, playing couples poker every other Saturday, travel, and last but not least serving a adjunct professor of bio-statistics at the local medical school. Oh, yes, I am retired if you can call it that!!

WaterRat
October 6th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I have the user name WaterRat for a reason. Besides swimming, I enjoy spending my time bass fishing, water skiing and lounging at the lake. When I travel and am lucky enough to get to the ocean, I like to body surf and boogie board for hours on end.

heydavis
October 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM
My two young daughters take up a lot of time...but they are so worth it. When I find time, I enjoy home improvement projects, love to hike the ice-age trail and web page composition. I'm a meteorologist with the National Weather Service and can get really hooked/distracted by nasty weather. I'm the guy on the front lawn when a tornado warning is issued... And, like Ken said...wasting a lot of time in the internet.

Glenn
October 6th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Furniture making, especially mission(AKA Stickley or craftsman) style. Working on a set of eight chairs for the dining room to replace a set of 19th century northern Italian chairs.

Gareth Eckley
October 7th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Great learning more about people here.

My work is my passion; carving gemstones with portrait cameos, art carvings and designing & making jewelry.

Then coaching age group swimming & my Multi-sport group. Of course swimming as much as possible.

I have two young boys and a Canadian wife and spending as much time with them as possible is a real priority. I live on 200 acres in a beautiful National Park and enjoy walking in the woods and on the mountains.

I miss Vancouver & Canada a lot but the quality of life here is great and the move here 18 mths ago was worth it.

Hey i just made it to 100 posts !

jennyfer80
October 7th, 2003, 07:35 AM
what do i do when i'm not studying, writing papers, doing stuff for ans or in class for nursing school? that would be more what i wish i could do....well, i enjoy going to the driving range, but that is a bit pricey and i have to go when no one else is there because i am afraid i might hit someone with a ball (they don't always go straight), reading stuff that has nothing to do with nursing, going to the beach, watching tv, sleeping !!!!!!!!, playing with my dog, going home (not the 4 hr drive though). I'm an EMT-B and so when i go home i do volunteer rescue squad which i love. I enjoy coming here of course. The nursing stuff isn't all that bad though, i get to go to new orleans for a conference in nov. i'm really excited about because i don't travel that much and i've never been there.

gull
October 7th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Tae kwan do and sailing.

eliana2003
October 7th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by jennyfer80
, i get to go to new orleans for a conference in nov. i'm really excited about because i don't travel that much and i've never been there.

As a fellow (grad.) student, I hope that you enjoy the conference- are you submitting a paper? My supervisor (in the U.K.) would love me to go to conferences, but they're kinda expensive (travelling and such...)- Good luck!

peace...

laineybug
October 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Hey, you two grad students... when I was in grad school there was travel money available for conferences from my department.... with 'one little string attached' ...you had to present... it didn't matter what you did so long as you presented something... (think poster session, your presentation is more likely to get accepted)... I know times have changed since then, but it is worth asking your advisors or major professors, the worse they can say is, "no there isn't any money for grad students to travel." Go for it. Going to professional conferences is a lot of fun, you will also learn a lot and get cutting edge information, possibly meet outstanding well known scholars in your field and make important professional connections. It is also something that you will/should be doing all of your professional career, so when you start to work, keep in mind that you will want to travel once or twice a year and plan for it both in terms of time and money (a lot of businesses will reimburse you after you travel so you have to have the money up front) Thats something you need to check out with your advisor/major professor... will they give you the money before you travel, or will you have to submit an 'expense report' after you return? Don't submit a paper proposal to a conference thinking that you will have travel money from the department up front, only to find out that you have to fund the travel yourself and be reimbursed. It would be very embarassing and look terribly bad for your school and you if you had to withdraw your proposal after it was accepted because you didn't have the upfront funds to travel.

Lainey

drip'nwet
October 7th, 2003, 11:43 AM
As a chaplain at a facility for Mentally Retarded/Developmentally Disabled children and adults, a set schedule is impossible, and so when time allows (besides swimming), I enjoy taking my dog outside and running and playing until we are both exhausted. I like to ride my bike, fish, travel and my county just formed a Special Olympic swim team of which I am the coach!

eliana2003
October 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the advice- I'll check it out... I do know that the department has some limited funds set aside for students seeking financial assistance to attend conferences, but whether it will be applicable to overseas research students, I don't know... (like I don't have enough to do already ;) )

jennyfer80
October 7th, 2003, 03:38 PM
i'm still an undergrad. my school is supposedly going to take care of most of the costs. at most it should be $200 for me. the conference is for nursing students.

i'm not submitting any papers, i do want to do the honors program at my school. the idea there is that you work with faculty to develop and write a paper which is hopefully be published.

sparx35
October 7th, 2003, 05:03 PM
denise good luck on the special olympics swim team,gareth did you grow up in vancouver,i've been there twice and loved it..especially rides on the skytrain,i was last there about two ,three years ago on holiday fly/drive.

Shaky
October 7th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I'm sorta between major hobbies right now.

At one time I was a sax player, even playing with an orchestra for pay, but I haven't played in several years. Living in apartments doesn't go well with loud woodwind instruments. And I had a BIG SOUND.

At one time I was an airplane pilot. I have my private pilot's license and someday intend to pursue my instrument rating. I even have an hour of airship instruction in the Tommy Hilfiger ship. But alas, it costs much money, and I have put it on hold for a while. Someday I'll buy my very own airplane.

For a while I was actively collecting airplane toys, particularly old toy flight simulators or airplane games. I have several toy cockpits, including a "Flying Fox" which has a working airplane mounted on top of it that responds to the controls. Even the throttle works, speeding and slowing the engines on command. Apartment living is a hindrance there, also, because I don't have room to display my collection.

Currently I'm reading as much as possible and preparing to return to school next fall. I intend to double up on my JD and MBA. Unfortunately my test scores are mismatched so that my law school prospects aren't quite as high as my business school prospects (750 on the GMAT with a 3.9 undergrad GPA), so I may end up just going to business school, depending on which law schools accept me.

I'm also learning Japanese as a hobby. I like movies. I like Japanese movies. I particularly like Japanese animation. I want to be able to watch Japanese movies without subtitles and read Japanese literature and manga in the original language. I may also turn it into a business opportunity down the road, when I speak Japanese and have an MBA from Wharton.

Speaking of movies, I watch enough of them that I guess you could call them a hobby for me also. According to my Netflix account page, I have checked out more than 100 DVDs from them since June. Now, before you write me off as a shut-in, understand that I have neither cable nor an antenna on my television, so I watch NO television programming. Start totaling up your television viewing for the week and consider how many movies you could have watched in that same time period, and you'll have an idea of how I could possibly see so many films. I also see quite a few of them in the theaters, because I am a firm believer that movies should be seen on a large screen whenever possible.

Alas, I think I'll have to cut back on the movies when I get back into school. Or maybe not.

Oh, one more thing. I just got an email from a test prep company inviting me to "audition" to teach GMAT prep. I like teaching people, so perhaps that will become my new paying hobby that can help out with some of those upcoming tuition bills.

swimmore
October 7th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Lets see to much too do! Sail a Sunfish, Hiking, Triathlons, Running-getting ready for my 1st Marathon, swimming at the beach, kayaking, camping, cooking (I am a professional chef), flight student (looking for new flight instructor) and website building for my masters team. Oh! Driving Deals Gap every chance I get up to Tenn./NC.:rolleyes:

Mark in MD
October 7th, 2003, 10:31 PM
I'm glad that this thread was started. I was tempted to do this several times.

It's nice to see that there is at least another swimmer who is a musician! Sax is a great solo instrument. Shaky, which sax did you play, soprano, alto or tenor?

It seems that many of us have many hobbies. Outside of my full-time profession, I am also a part-time Church musician, an organist, with my degree in music education. (Gee, isn't that big surprise looking at my avatar.) I've been sitting on the bench or directing a choir or both since I was 15. The church organ is not the only instrument I play. The instrument I really enjoy playing are the orchestral organs, known as theater organs, which were installed in many movie theaters. (Gee Dad, it's a Wurlitzer!) From time to time, I get to give a concert or two on one and I am webmaster for a major organization who has the largest theater organ installed in a high school in Delaware. My avatar, in fact, is me at a digital theater organ.

If that's not enough, I also have a long-time interest in streetcars or trolleys. Baltimore had a huge system at one time and 40 years ago this November, it disappeared for good. We are blessed here with the Baltimore Streetcar Museum. It is the only museum of its type that has vehicles only from Baltimore. I am Director of Communications for the Museum which also includes publishing the museum's newsletter. Being a past V.P. there, I am still Training Manager for our instructional staff who trains interested members to operate the equipment when the Museum is open to the public. (And yes, I can play Clang, Clang, Clang Went the Trolley!) Any swimmer is more than welcome to visit!

Those are my most important hobbies, after swimming. I still maintain a few websites (including the USMS Colonies Zone (http://www.colonieszone.org)) and teach basic swim lessons to kids. Then there's still "honey do" stuff around the house and photography. Who says life needs to be dull?

Sorry if I ran on too much. Cheers!

Shaky
October 8th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Mark in MD
It's nice to see that there is at least another swimmer who is a musician! Sax is a great solo instrument. Shaky, which sax did you play, soprano, alto or tenor?

I primarily played alto. I also played soprano and bari, with a sporadic attempt at clarinet when the music called for it. Tenor sax just never was my thing, even though I have one under my bed I have never played.

I understand your appreciation for theater organs. I grew up in Birmingham, AL, which has a movie palace that was rescued from the wrecking ball several years ago. The group that renovated the Alabama Theater restored its Mighty Wurlitzer (that's how they refer to it) to playing condition. It shakes the walls. The console is on an elevator that ascends from the stage in front of the screen, and before each show the organist comes up out of the stage and plays pre-show entertainment, including a sing-along with the words to the songs projected on the screen for those who don't know them. Then, just before the show, he descends into the stage as the lights go dark for the pre-show cartoon.

I have yet to see the screening there of Phantom of the Opera, which they screen each year at Halloween. For that show, they lower the console halfway into the stage, and the organist plays the score live. I hope at some point I'll be home when they decide to do it again. How else do you really get to feel a movie?

If you find yourself in Birmingham, you should stop by the Alabama. They are sometimes open to visitors even when there isn't a show, and they have been known to let visiting musicians play the Mighty Wurlitzer.

And check this out: http://www.alabamatheatre.com/alt/wurlitzer.html

Leonard Jansen
October 8th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Jerrycat -

You mentioned an interest in my soap. I tried to mail you privately, but you can't receive private messages. What can I answer for you?

Best,
LBJ

Mark in MD
October 8th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Shaky,

Thanks for your information on the Alambama Theatre's "Mighty Wurlitzer" organ. I have known about that installation for a long time and very much would like to try her out some day. These instruments are marvellous, being "one-man orchestras."

To quote Ben Hall in his book, The Best Remaining Seats: The Story of the Golden Age of the Movie Palace, "Few wonders of the movie palace brought more shivery pleasure to audiences than the Mighty Wurlitzer. Part one-man band, part symphony orchestra, part sound-effects department, the Wurlitzer was one of the most versatile instruments ever devised by man ... if it rose up out of the orchestra pit at intermission with a roar that made the marrow dance in one's bones, if the rows of colored stop-tabs, lit by hidden lights, arched like a rainbow above the flawless dental work of the keyboards - if it could imitate anything from a brass band to a Ford horn to a choir of angels - gee, Dad, it was a Wurlitzer!" (Wurlitzer was the same company who made those cool Art-Deco jukeboxes with the bubble lights.)

For those who have never heard one, and you will agree with me, they are missing something. There's nothing like sitting in a theater, such as the Radio City Music Hall, and the building starts to rumble and you know that the orchestra is not doing that! Speaking of which, the RCMH instrument was Wurlitzer's largest and is twice the size of the Alabama's instrument and has over 4,400 pipes controlled by two indentical and independent consoles. Of course, there's two things better than hearing these music-makers, playing them and of course ... the pool, I 'spose!

Here's a picture below of one of the RCMH's consoles. There's quite a contrast in decor. Check this story about the Radio City organ by clicking here (http://www.atos.org/Pages/Journal/RadioCity/RadioCity.html). I wonder if anyone else out there in the swimming community have music hobbies/interests? Let's hear from you!

Have a great day! :D

Tom Ellison
October 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Leonard...if ANYONE needs the soap it is Mark in MD and Jim in NY....:D

Shaky
October 8th, 2003, 04:40 PM
That RCMH organ is great. But even though it IS Radio City Music Hall, I think it would be tough to beat playing a monster like that in a hall like the Alabama. (Note the console waaaaay down there on the left.):

Gil
October 8th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Also glad to hear there are other(former musicians) on this site. I played tenor sax and clarinet in a dance band using mostly Glen Miller arrangements. Also did some combo work and a great moment occured when I got to sit in with Stan Kenton orchestra when he played in Wheeling , W.Va. It is still a mystery to me what happened to my tenor sax. Lost in one of our many moves. Maybe I will look under the bed!!!

Mark in MD
October 8th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Gil, you were very lucky to sit in with Stan Kenton! Wow! The late Hank Levy, who was director of the locally famous (Baltimore, Maryland), Towson State Jazz Ensemble, was an arranger for Kenton at one time. I didn't play with him, but I knew him and he was kindness personified. I've done concerts with sax on the theater organ and it's a nice mix. (Of course most larger theater organs had/have a set of brass saxophone pipes and clarinet pipes to provide those distinct voices.)

Shaky, wonderful shot of the interior of the Alabama. I see it was restored in 1998, one year before Radio City's $70M complete restoration. Playing the Alabama Wurlitzer, or one in any theater, is challenging. However, Radio City's is probably the most challenging. When seated at either one of the consoles, part of the organ is over your head and the other part is at the other side of the theater, one block away. (See picture below! The stage is 144 feet wide and the theater seats almost 6,100 people in the orchestra and three balconies.) If you'd like to see the inside of one of these musical monsters, visit this website by clicking here. (http://www.geocities.com/dtoskimball) Once inside the webpage, click on the "Tour the Kimball Organ" button.

Tom, please rest assured I am a fervent user of Lever 2000. When I get too gross, my wife threatens to pull out the power washer. :D

Gil
October 9th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Mark, when I sat in with the Kenton band was when I discovered I was not nearly as good on the sax as I thought I was! Also, another great musical moment happened in high school when alot of us went to an organ concert in the church of popular music. Awesome.

sparx35
October 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM
flew my rc helicopter nose in today for the first time,i normally don't mix hobbies but i had to tell someone.

Mark in MD
October 11th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Hello sparx35!

Congratulations! There's nothing wrong in mixing hobbies! It's interesting to see how many fellow swimmers who have other interests outside the pool.

Cheerio!

cinc3100
October 11th, 2003, 11:13 PM
I use to go to Star Trek and Sci-Fi conventions. BUt since moving to Arizona they have a lot less of them. I seen the actors from Star Trek, The next generation, and Deep Space Nine.

Matt S
October 14th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Other interests include:
-History, particularly military history (kinda appropriate for a Navy JAGC specializing in public international and operational law), favorite authors include: John Keegan, Bruce Catton, David Chandler, Victor Hansen.
-Sci Fi/Fantasy (can't wait for Return of the King), favorite authors include: J.R.R. Tolkien, Isaac Azimov, Robert Heinlein, Lois Bujold (space opera excellent, fantasy even better), Eric Flynt (the 1630's series is a revelation).
-Coaching summer league swimming.
-Various volunteer work for church and swimming organizations (I seem to have a higher tolerance than most for committee work).
-Historical miniatures (i.e. painting and gaming with toy soldiers) and other strategy games.
-Herding children and exasperating the wife. (It's a miracle she puts up with me.)
-Self-appointed internet loudmouth.

Shakey, as an attorney, I have to ask you why you want to combine a JD with your MBA? I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea; I just think you should have fairly specific career path in mind, that requires both degrees, before you start. When I was in law school, I talked to other law students who were in that joint degree program, and it seemed to close more opportunities than it opened. My advice is to think real hard about that combo, especially since your B-school opportunities seem much broader than you law school opportunities.

Matt

James
October 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Like most of you people I have 2 young boys, 4 and 1. I'm also a avid bowler, 210 ave.,I play golf and very active in my local Realtor board. Hey, wait a minute, when am I going to find time to swim. I need to get my prioritys strait!!!:eek:

cinc3100
October 14th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Matt, Victor Hanson has written several books I read a couple of them-one on Greek warfare and another a history of the effects of warfare in Western Europe. But his most current book which is hard to get at the library because he writes about immirgation in California and how hispanic immirgation has changed in the past 30 years, I think gives people in other states that have low immirgation from Mexico a better perspective on the situation facing the border states.

Scansy
October 21st, 2003, 11:37 PM
Kids keep me busy - two boys 10 and 3.

I coach my son's football team and run his Cub Scout Pack.

My hobbies are all outdoors based - large vegetable garden, fishing, hunting, skiing. I also like to read a lot - mostly magazines/newspapers. I need to find someone to pay me to do all of these things!

And I almost always have a radio or TV nearby with sports on. (Game 3 of the WS is on right now.)

sparx35
October 31st, 2003, 04:15 PM
did several nose in hovers last weekend some of which were for more than 20 seconds,i'll keep you posted of further progress....

trevorstalker
November 4th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Aside from swimming (which BTW I have been skipping classes for the last two weeks, oh boy... :( ) I also attend kung-fu and taichichuan classes, and I climb every other day...

Oh yeah, ocasionally I attend college where I'm still trying to graduate as an engineer... :D

Peace!

Sabretooth Tiger
November 4th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Husband . . . Father . . . Surfer

jerrycat
November 5th, 2003, 09:38 AM
ya'll I'm stoked about a new hobby--one that I've been wanting to do for years, and have finally taken action to get started--and it is sewing!

our windows finally have curtains now...granted a couple of them are a little cockeyed, but it sure beats the neighborhood looking in! And it also beats the frat house look we had in our bedroom-with sheets hanging on the windows--I finally realized, "man, we're way to old for that"...

My poor family and friends--they're all getting sewn gifts for Christmas...I can just see my brother-in-law (who btw is about 240 pounds of sheer muscle mass) in some lime green knit shirt that I've made him--with funny sleeves and cuffs...all I can say is I'll try my best to get things right!

Also, I officially kicked off triathlon training 11/3/03. So, that's going to be keeping me busy for a while...a long while.

have a great day!

jerrycat :D

laineybug
November 5th, 2003, 10:59 AM
hey Jerrycat, there is a whole 'sisterhood' of seamstresses out there with groups ranging from smocking to quilting.

If you have any little girls and boys in your family you might want to learn how to smock. Hand smocked children's clothing is extremely expensive to purchase in children's boutiques. Don't be afraid to try it because it looks difficult. It is extremely easy to do and learn. I teach a smocking class at a local fabric shop. It takes a total of 4 hours (broken up into 2, two hour classes) for me to get folks (yes there have been several men) to a level they can complete a project independently. If you have an artistic side you will definately want to try quilting. The combination of fabrics and quilt patterns is infinate. Many folks quilt just for that reason... to create art.

I've been sewing since I was a child, literally... and have won several sewing competitions. I learned how to sew from my mother who is an outstanding seamstress and tailor. There is something very quieting, calming and almost spiritual about taking one, small, as close to perfect as you can get it, stitch. That stitch holds the fabric together, but taking it also joins you to past traditions and to the future when the garment or drape or pillow is enjoyed by the person you loved. If, while you are sewing, you have any questions email me at my home address... LOL...

sewnsews@rose.net

Lainey

eliana2003
November 5th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Hey- that's really cool- I JUST bought my first sewing machine last week! I, too, have always wanted to learn to sew and to quilt- in fact, I'm working on my first quilt now.... I've recently learned how to sew and knit (everyone is getting a homemade mid-winter gift this december, whether they want one or not!)... I'm really lucky that I have family members who happily wear scarves with dropped stitches!

Good luck, Jerrycat!

jerrycat
November 5th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Lainey, and Elaine, thanks for the encouragement! Can't tell you how much fun I'm having...next week I'll be in a class to learn how to do a pattern. I'm so psyched! yesterday I learned how to sew in a straight line...it's really the best thing ever.

I did tell my husband that if I start running around in quilted clothes everyday then he will have to do an intervention......

Have fun! :D
Jerrycat

cinc3100
November 9th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Anyone like figure skating out there. I watch it on TV.

eliana2003
November 9th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I like watching figure skating on t.v.- I'd love to be able to be so graceful on the ice!

Damage Inc
November 12th, 2003, 01:07 PM
I do restorations of old VW Buses. Pulling motors, pulling out dents and searching the internet, car shows/swap meets and salvage yards for orriginal parts.

knelson
November 12th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by cinc310
Anyone like figure skating out there. I watch it on TV.

My wife is into figure skating. She only started doing it seriously about a year ago, but she's getting pretty good!

I like skiing in the winter, hiking and tennis in the summer and photography year-round.

sparx35
November 24th, 2003, 06:10 PM
i finally did it.i took my bmfa(british model flying association)"A"examination on power model helicopter flying,and passed....yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss ssss.............i fly a Kyosho Caliber 30 which is relatively a small machine compared to some.

eliana2003
November 24th, 2003, 07:19 PM
well done!

Dennis Tesch
November 25th, 2003, 11:41 AM
father, runner, coach, and home repair.....

waves101
November 26th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Fishing, Hunting, Gardening and Shania Twain fan

sparx35
November 28th, 2003, 03:05 PM
thanks eliana 2003:)

Nancy Graham
November 30th, 2003, 11:25 AM
I have lots of other interests and most are active outdoor things -- hiking & backpacking, cycling, kayaking & some sailing, sonwshoeing -- but my newest is Opera!!! Who would have guessed -- not I! I am certainly a novice and do not know a lot about it, but am enjoying learning and attending some performances.

Nancy

bckstrker
November 30th, 2003, 02:18 PM
It is really interesting to read all the posts and see what people like to do besides swim - what a diverse bunch!!:)
I lift weights and when I can't get to the pool I use the ArcTrainer at our clinic. Besides that I started to take tap dance lessons - something I have always wanted to learn and I am having the time of my life with it! I have 4 horses that keep me busy and I love toride and take long walks with my dog. I used to play the piano and am seriously considering it again. That ought to keep me in line and busy :D

sparx35
December 6th, 2003, 05:40 PM
when first i posted this topic i only expected a small response..i cant believe how many responses ive had and what great hobbies we all persue other than swimming well done to all and thanks for divulging me in your hobbies.I do hope your continuing success in all hobbies and persuits....mainly swimming of course.thanks for your support also in recent forum debates xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

sparx35
December 11th, 2003, 05:20 PM
as a final note to this post,i got awarded my"A"certificate on moday 8/12/2003 at an AGM, at goole in uk where many aero modellers met from our local club which is still in its infancy stage

TomBrooklyn
October 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I like to kayak. I did kayak swim support for some races around and about Manhatten including the 2004 MIMS. I was in the only tandem (double seat) kayak in that race and escorted the chap from England who had a sister in the race also. I can't remember his name though.

wolfie1961
October 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM
I was a competitive swimmer a LONG LONG time ago. I just started again so this is my new hobby. I've also taken up photography. Most of the pics I've been taking though are of my son's football games. We have a '71 El Camino that we're fixing up as well.

Ian
October 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Golf, golf, and more golf. Swimming is my passion but golf is my pleasure. It gives me an opportunity to play my son's sport and spend a half of day with him. It doesn't get any better than that.

TacJag
October 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Besides being a husband, stay-at-home father, work-at-home business owner (computer "stuff" - networking and so on), and soon to be back to a regular swimmer, my other real passion is digital photography. Even teach some classes.

And if anyone want some unbiased (i.e. I'm not a salesman) digital photo advice ... ask away!!

Cheers!!

Ken

SwimStud
October 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hobbies...

Drums.
Lord of the Rings Online (multi player online game--have to be careful not to get sucked in too much though).

Mrs Stud thinks that DIY is a hobby but it's not...I hate it.

shark
October 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Amateur Astronomy. I recently wrote and won a grant to purchase a Meade 10" LX 90 GPS telescope. We call it the Urban Sky Eye. The GPS allows for the scope to find itself and triangulate itself with two other sky objects. (usually bright stars such as Vega or Arcturus) This allows it to use a library of 30,000 objects. Turn it on and you can see 30,000 different catalogued objects. When a CCD Deep Sky Imager camera is attached, you can take digital pictures, feed them into a computer and "viola" instant personal deep space imager. Pretty cool stuff, imo. Last week we saw Uranus and Neptune. Think about how many people have seen those. (please insert uranus joke here) Allows for late night Star Parties.

"Ground control to Major Tom." - Ziggy Stardust

hofffam
October 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I have too many "hobbies!" In no particular order:

Home brewing beer
Cars
Computers
Audio/video
Woodworking
My kids' competitive swimming
Lake activities

Got Boost
October 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Other Hobbies... I am a late blooming gear head. I really like messing with my cars and I play golf. That along with work and dad related stuff pretty much takes up my days.
Got Boost

ALM
October 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
As if I don't already do enough volunteer work, I have recently taken on a new assignment. I'm administering the "buy a brick" program at Kaw Point Park in Kansas City, Kansas.

Kaw Point is where the Kansas and Missouri Rivers meet. Lewis & Clark camped there for three days in 1804. I'm actually related to Meriwether Lewis. See photos of the park here:

http://www.lewisandclarkwyco.org/INDEX.HTM

http://www.lewisandclarkwyco.org/KAWPOINT.HTM

Anna Lea

wolfie1961
October 17th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I have too many "hobbies!" In no particular order:

Home brewing beer
Cars
Computers
Audio/video
Woodworking
My kids' competitive swimming
Lake activities

I want to hang out with you...but then that's why I'm swimming to loose the weight I gained by drinking beer.

nkfrench
October 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM
When I bought my house, I had to ease back on my more expensive hobbies. When I trashed my knee I had to retire from so many of what was left, but I re-focused on swimming. Formerly it was pretty much a different adult rec sport each weeknight.

My day job is writing Java code and my other time is with swimming, drylands, volunteering with the swim club/LMSC/LSC, and long naps/wasting time on the internet. There is overlap with the programming and doing swim websites. Oh -- I like watching movies, reading fiction, watching TV. Tastes go towards action/drama/crime/medical/DIY. Cooking is fun when done "recreationally" (for fun), not "production" cooking just because you are hungry and it's mealtime. AND -- each day I LOVE doing a few Sudoku puzzles.

Slowswim
October 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Work, Swim, Bike, Run, Family. That's all I have time for.

DIY is definately not a hobby!!:notworking:

hofffam
October 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I want to hang out with you...but then that's why I'm swimming to loose the weight I gained by drinking beer.

One of the very reasons I swim is to enjoy GOOD beer and food!

FWIW: Two really good recent beers:

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale
Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner

newmastersswimmer
October 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I sometimes like to play guitar....and when I am in the company of other musicians that are into the same type of music as I am, I like to jam with them...but I rarely get the opportunity to do that much anymore. Lately I have kind of gotten sucked into playing online chess a lot....I am currently playing in two separate online tournaments right now...and playing a couple of games with my number one arch nemesis (my Dad LOL!)....I also enjoy fishing when I can find time as well as reading certain books that I am interested in (mostly science fiction / fantasy books or actual Science and/or Math related books....my favourites along that line are mainly about Astronomy, Astro-Physics, and Cosmology)....I am a little bit of a geek too...and in more than one way I'm afraid LOL!

david.margrave
October 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Birdwatching is a good way to get some exercise, although it's not required (I got this picture from my deck). I know what it is, just testing the rest of you.

ensignada
October 17th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Crochet, embroidery, crewel and other "wifely arts"

Cooking, especially Indian, Greek and Persian cuisines

Like to scrapbook, but haven't made much time for it lately

Playing bass guitar (not so much since the band broke up...persuing our solo careers, you understand) ;)

Swimmer Bill
October 18th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I like art and antiques and have a large collection of 19th and 20th Century American quilts. Some have appeared in books, and others have been displayed in shows across the US. The one in the attached picture will soon travel to Tokyo, Japan for a special exhibit of antique American log cabin quilts as part of the Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival at the Tokyo Dome. I found it for less than a hundy on eBay.

:banana:

ViveBene
October 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Swimmer Bill --

Quilts can be beautiful; with a temporary residence in Middle States, I've seen some high-quality, one-room exhibits of gorgeous, meaningful quilts made locally over the past 150 years. The Log Cabin pattern is a nice reference standard. I tried making the "Barn Raising" version of the Log Cabin. A LOT harder than it looks!

Do you use any of the quilts in your collection? They get a lot of their meaning from strong tether to use (or intended use).

Regards,
VB

Swimmer Bill
October 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
The Log Cabin pattern is a nice reference standard. I tried making the "Barn Raising" version of the Log Cabin. A LOT harder than it looks!

I would never attempt to make something like that (sewing is not one of my hidden talents). But I appreciate the complexity and organization of the piecework.

The piece that's going to Tokyo is an unusual example. Itís silk, made in the early 20th Century, and the color combination is unique for a log cabin. It has an optical effect with kaleidoscopic, translucent layers of color, and is quite sophisticated for an eBay bargain.

Do you use any of the quilts in your collection? They get a lot of their meaning from strong tether to use (or intended use).

I think of them as art, and display them on the walls in my home like large works of art. Recognizing them solely as works of art is a departure from the original function, but I feel it adds another layer of meaning rather than taking away or changing the meaning. If displayed properly, not using them on beds is also a method of preservation.

The only one I use on a bed is actually my oldest one, an economy patch Linsey-Woolsey circa 1810. Linsey-Woolsey is a coarse fabric woven with a linen warp and a woolen weft. Since the quilt has been around for almost 200 years and is made of a strong, durable fabric, it can easily handle my two cats who refuse to stay off the bed.

Josh Miller
October 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I fish a lot in my spare time. I havent been out in a almost 2 months though due to some personal issues.

SwimStud
October 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Crochet, embroidery, crewel and other "wifely arts"

What are these other "wifely arts" you speak of? Cooking and cleaning? Fetching of the slippers?

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
What are these other "wifely arts" you speak of? Cooking and cleaning? Fetching of the slippers?

Oh, yes. I'm the model 50's housewife. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Blackbeard's Peg
October 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
i don't like to work
but i do enjoy working around the house a bit, esp outside
sports, like hockey, basketball, flag football, biking, the occasional tri
watching sports, like soccer, football (NFL and NCAA), college basketball
attending UMD Basketball games - #1 priority from November to March
music - i play guitar (have 2 electric, 1 acoustic and two classical) and enjoy rocking out loudly anywhere and going to the occasional concert
spending time with friends
hanging out with mollie is nice too
i like to eat too

ViveBene
October 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Just finished a week of hiking and climbing in NH mountains. Extraordinary weather, 40s to 60s (after subzero temps on Mount Washington). Bluebird days. Ca. 12,000 ft elevation gained (not much), 0 cellphones! Dropped some digits in the ocean off Portsmouth and Newburyport (Plum Island), and it seemed quite warm.

Regards,
VB

pwolf66
October 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I do the mandatory over-40 'sports' such as bowling and golf. And I love what swimming has done for my golf game. Added at least 10 yards to every club. Now I can throw my 9 iron well over 75 yards. :rofl:

Paul

ViveBene
October 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I do the mandatory over-40 'sports' such as bowling and golf. And I love what swimming has done for my golf game. Added at least 10 yards to every club. Now I can throw my 9 iron well over 75 yards.

Paul

Hah! Is that with or without the monofin?

But I must say, the number of retirees who summited Mount Washington on Gorgeous Tuesday last week was reasonably proportional to the number of younger folks (still working for Mamon), and seniors were getting up and down difficult pitches without use of aids such as trekking poles. I met a woman who hiked the Appalachian Trail in her sixties and is now doing long-distance bicycling. These things definitely take time, of course. I am looking at rock climbing as a mandatory over-40 sport.

Regards, VB

poolraat
October 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I do the mandatory over-40 'sports' such as bowling and golf. And I love what swimming has done for my golf game. Added at least 10 yards to every club. Now I can throw my 9 iron well over 75 yards. :rofl:

Paul

You're a glutton for punishment if you golf and bowl. I get enough frustration out of bowling. Golfing would probably drive me stark raving mad.

newmastersswimmer
October 29th, 2007, 10:23 AM
You're a glutton for punishment if you golf and bowl. I get enough frustration out of bowling. Golfing would probably drive me stark raving mad.

you mean more so than you already are then right? LOL! :mooning::thhbbb:

fanstone
October 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
ViveBene (Viva Bem in Portuguese), I did not know that trekking poles were considered an "aid". I have used them the past six years and am completely addicted. I only forego them when doing runs or walks in town, or when hiking mixed hills with asphalt roads. They are an useful aid when going down hard rocky terrain, or when climbing bad terrain. Usually I just like the balance and the flow when using them. Don't do much trekking, due to other hobbies. Other hobbies include long motorcycle trips (Suzuki V-Strom 1000), running and maybe some tennis. billy fanstone

MichiganHusker
October 30th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Besides swimming, I play the banjo (just not very well).

Top 3 favorite things (besides swimming):
Music
Gourmet Cooking
Wine

ande
October 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I:

1) write songs, you can hear some at:
http://SongRamp.com/ande

2) write a songwriting newsletter
http://SongWriterBlog.com

3) teach songwriting

4) serve as a Governor for the the Texas Grammy Chapter
http://www.grammy.com/Recording_Academy/Chapters/Texas/

ande
October 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
in 2005 I went on a 10 day trek at Philmont in NM with my son
we didn't use trekking poles, we called them wussy wands

ViveBene (Viva Bem in Portuguese), I did not know that trekking poles were considered an "aid". I have used them the past six years and am completely addicted. I only forego them when doing runs or walks in town, or when hiking mixed hills with asphalt roads. They are an useful aid when going down hard rocky terrain, or when climbing bad terrain. Usually I just like the balance and the flow when using them. Don't do much trekking, due to other hobbies. Other hobbies include long motorcycle trips (Suzuki V-Strom 1000), running and maybe some tennis. billy fanstone

Swan
November 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Swimming takes up so much of my time that there is hardly any time left for anything else! I do have a bike (road) that doesn't get nearly enough use!

Swan

ViveBene
November 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Hi Billy! Perhaps "useful critters" is a better description? Increasingly, I find them useful. I was a bit surprised to see folks in their seventies climbing the jungle gym (unconsolidated boulder field where path is notional at best) that is the cone of Mount Washington without poles. Poles certainly help with balance, stream crossing, and going downhill, and just have a nice feeling in the hands. I like mine!

Vive bene
Spesso l'amore
Di risata molto

christineL
November 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
:mooning: I declare myself to be the most perfect housewife! It is art work that I very gladly pursue! :notworking: Shucks....if you'd come over, you'd see that my barn with hay and tack supplies is a LOT cleaner and more organized than my home.

Play with my horses especially the nuerotic Arabian that we rescued and the very hypersensitive Clydesdale. That is just about it for now before I go back to quilting to put on our beds. I like to see quilts on bed not on wall....my sewing machine is broken....My next project is to do African Spring - very colorful and vibrant. Then, I'd do a quilt to tell tale about my mom's house burning down.

PArob83
February 8th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Camping, Swimming, travel, (hopefully more scuba diving), and Photography (fun, art, events, sports (swimming mostly)). and now once im back in a country with water... Underwater photography... I cant wait to see how that hobby turns out...lol
But swimming sometimes is my other hobby as i also use it for recreation and social time besides just being excersize.

oh...
and biking, rockety, trying to avoid being tech support, running websites, teaching, rowing, canoeing, hiking... (doing any all of those while camping/traveling)...

Ripple
February 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Sewing (garments, not quilts), pattern drafting, gardening, the occasional bit of sketching and painting. Am currently taking a "traditional tailoring" class. The instructor is a retired costume designer, a real character. She pulled out a peice of an unfinished man's blazer to show us what pad stitching on a lapel was supposed to look like and explained that it was a jacket she'd started for husband no. 2... or was it husband no. 3? ... not husband no. 4, because he wasn't skinny enough for this jacket. Sewing is a bit like swimming in that there's always more to learn in terms of skill.