PDA

View Full Version : Masters in Pittburgh?

Marcy82
October 5th, 2003, 10:31 PM
I didn't know there was a masters program in Pittsburgh!!! Where do you practice and how do you join?

msgrupp
October 5th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Ah---another marcy.

OK--on home page of this bbs--go to Places to Swim, click on List of USMS Clubs. Page down to Pennsylvania.

A # of clubs in Pittsburgh are listed. The U of Pitt club is USMS and has regular practices at Trees Hall on the campus.
Allegheny Mountain Masters is thru the "Y" and has many clubs you can join. If you click on the Allegheny Mt Masters--you will see a contact person.

Some people practice with the JCC Masters groups but you have to be a JCC member. If you join a Y, there may be organized masters swim times and practices. Many just swim on their own and show up for meets having joined one of the more inexpensive Ys without an indoor pool.

Come join!!! It's fun and you can meet some great people!

Marcy82
October 6th, 2003, 11:34 AM
I'm just concerned that since I haven't been swimming in a while that I won't be able to keep up. How long should I wait until I start coming to practice? :(

mattson
October 6th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Marcy, go to practice so you can get faster, not the other way around! :) (Any masters team worth its salt with have lanes/practice sets for different levels of ability.)

How long has the Pitt Masters team been around? I remember playing with the Pitt water polo club back in 94. I would hate to think I missed out on master's swimming.

msgrupp
October 6th, 2003, 09:41 PM
I think for at least the last 5-6 years. Check out their website by using the instructions I gave in reply #2

Listed as "Team Pittsburgh"