PDA

View Full Version : video of my swimming please critique

Tree
July 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hi there,

I have been away from swimming and this forum for quite a while due to the great work pressure over that period of time. But now I was back to swimming again.

Yesterday my colleague used my mobile phone to videotape my swimming. I uploaded it onto this link: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg1NjQ0NDA0.html. I had to use a Chinese video service website as Youtube is banned here at the moment. Please ignore the Chinese characters on that webpage which might appear as error code in your PC. Also sorry for the poor film quality. In addition, for reasons I didn't know, the safeguards stopped us once he found out that my colleague was taping my swimming. So the film was very short as well.

Some background info: I started learning swimming at around 2007 and had a break between 2009 to now. I restarted yesterday when this videotape was taken.

My own take on my swimming:
1, the balance was poor.
2, the kick was horrible. Can I say they were crossing kicks? I have been very poor at kicking since the beginning. Probably kicking for me, as George said many times (Hello George!), is to only provide overall balance of the body?
3, the stroke was sort of too forceful?
4, the synchronization of the stroke and kicking was very very poor as well.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks

Li

__steve__
July 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Best thing to do would be to use underwater footage,

Allen Stark
July 16th, 2011, 07:06 PM
You appear to be forcing your body rotation and are over rotating.You are also forcing the recovery and slapping the water on hand entry.Try to keep your arm relaxed on the recovery and also work on the finger tip drill(where you recover dragging your finger tips in the water.)

seahare
July 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I think you are right with #3. I'm no coach or experienced swimmer and debated about whether to even respond but figure I will offer my opinion.

It looks like your hand is "slipping" in the water. For all intents and purposes, your hand should exit the water at the same general place it actually enters the water (say, next to the same lane line disk) and it is your body that gets pulled forward.

I hope that made sense. I hope I am even right!

vndad
July 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Try not to breathe every stroke, unless you want to be like Sun Yang (even Sun does that only before and after his turns). See if you can swim a few strokes (say 10-12) without breathing and some of your problems are lessened.

Did you attempt to talk to the lifeguard about shooting video? Ask to see the posted or written rules. If there is none, then you should convince him you are only trying to video taping your own swimming, with nobody else being recorded. Offer to let the guard examine the videos. Prepare to slip a pack of cigarettes to him if it makes things easier.