PDA

View Full Version : Suit Durability: How long does your training suit last?

ElaineK
July 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I am going to try an experiment and would be curious to hear your experiences as well. According to the mileage in my FLOG, my first Speedo Endurance (50% poly/50% PBT) suit lasted for 297 miles (mostly in saline pools), before the stitching gave way and I had to retire the suit. My second Speedo Endurance suit has lasted for 242 miles (also mostly in saline pools), however, the stitching has started to come out in the neckline. Remembering what happened to my previous suit after getting out of the pool on a cruise ship ( :mooning: :blush: ), I have ordered another suit to have ready for when my Speedo falls apart. (I will be watching the stitching in the bottom carefully, as to avoid a repeat of the unintended mooning I gave the other cruise ship passengers...)

This time, I have ordered the "Blue Streak" (second one down):
http://www.swimdownhill.com/id54.html
After hearing so many great things about George Park and his Yingfa suits, I thought I would give one a try. Not only was the price right ($28); it included shipping! And, George replied to my e-mails immediately, when I had questions about sizing. He even offered to send me two suits with a return envelope, so I could return the one that didn't fit. George's customer service can't be beat!

I will keep track of my mileage on this suit and report back when it takes a dump. (Stretching out doesn't count; I only retire a suit when it gets to this point: :afraid:)

Meanwhile, has anybody else out there kept track of the durability of their suits? I would be curious to know how long your suits have lasted (mileage, if known, to compare fairly). How do the various brands compare?

2fish&1whale
July 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have been most happy with my 4 endurance suits,bought about 4 years ago.They spend 1-2 hours in the pool 3-4 times a week....and so far the stitching is holding up great,only the lining in 2 has shredded,so I cut it out and double up 2 suits.I love that they dry in no time,in case I can't change that is a plus!

My son wears endurance jammers and a pair he's worn every other practice-maybe 3 times a week(2 hours) for the last 2 years-is still going strong,the other one bought at the same time just got chucked because he snagged a hole in the back and he refused to wear a drag suit to cover it up.

geochuck
July 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Speedo Endurance swim suits are good for practice they do create drag. I have noticed a lot of swimmers wear them during competition. They usually have them 1 or 2 sizes to large, ripples allover the place.

EJB190
July 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I've had very good luck with endurance suits. I have one that's lasted a couple years no problem. I do however feel like mens suits last longer than womans.

chowmi
July 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM
The Speedo Endurance suits will last as long as the stitching holds. The material itself is very durable, but like most things, it's the seams that start to give way.

I rotate 4 suits, and they are still going strong. I lost one before it wore out, so these suits seem to have an indefinate life.

Jazz Hands
July 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I would have to assume the mileage is pretty low, but I've been using the same TYR poly brief in pretty much every workout since Summer of 2008. I prefer the cut of TYR suits. Speedo briefs are really thick on the sides these days.

swimon90
July 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I am not sure the distance I have swam with my endurance suits but i love them. They have lasted me 3 to 4 times longer than regular suits. I recently bought a endurance flipturn suit i have no experience with them. The material does not seem as sturdy but we will see how it lasts.

ElaineK
July 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
The Speedo Endurance suits will last as long as the stitching holds. The material itself is very durable, but like most things, it's the seams that start to give way.

I rotate 4 suits, and they are still going strong. I lost one before it wore out, so these suits seem to have an indefinate life.

This is what I found with mine. The fabric is still like new in my first suit, however, the stitching gave way everywhere at once! :afraid:

KEWebb18
July 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I have a Speedo endurance poly suit that I bought the summer of '08. Still going strong. My TYR durafast poly suit was purchased in spring of '09. It is starting to show some wear, and I haven't worn it as much as the speedo one. My dolfin ugly poly suit only lasted one season!

ElaineK
July 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have a Speedo endurance poly suit that I bought the summer of '08. Still going strong. My TYR durafast poly suit was purchased in spring of '09. It is starting to show some wear, and I haven't worn it as much as the speedo one. My dolfin ugly poly suit only lasted one season!

Thanks for your input on this, as I was also looking at TYR suits and was curious how they compared to Speedo Endurance suits.

KEWebb18
July 17th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your input on this, as I was also looking at TYR suits and was curious how they compared to Speedo Endurance suits.

The main problem is that the stitching is coming undone (I seem to have this problem with ALL of my TYR suits that I have ever worn) and there are patches of the suit that have deteriorated. Luckily there is still lining in place! It still fits well, not stretched out, but just not as durable as the Speedo ones. I would say that you get what you pay for, but I think that they are about the same in price, maybe the TYR is a bit less.

geochuck
July 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
How many of you race in these polyester suits. Do you set best times in them?

ElaineK
July 17th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Although I raced in my polyester Speedo Endurance in my first USMS meets as a newbie, I bought a Speedo Endurance lycra suit to use just for competitions. Now that I have purchased one of your Yingfa suit, I will probably use it at Auburn Nationals, if it fits well and is as comfortable as my Speedo. As for posting best times, I have never raced in a tech suit or any type of kneeskin, so I can't make that comparison. But, I haven't had a PB since last September... :afraid:

Celestial
July 17th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I love the Speedo endurance & Nike endurance the most - but I have no problems fixing torn stitching! What retires my suits is when the strap elastic becomes brittle & nasty - usually after about 18-24 months. The TYR suits do NOT hold up as long for me.

KEWebb18
July 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM

When I first got back into competing, I raced in the poly suits for regular meets. When I got to a taper meet, I would switch to the faster suit. I have set best times in both suits.

2fish&1whale
July 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I love the Speedo endurance & Nike endurance the most - but I have no problems fixing torn stitching! What retires my suits is when the strap elastic becomes brittle & nasty - usually after about 18-24 months. The TYR suits do NOT hold up as long for me.
This seems to happen a lot with Nike suits-any way to prevent this?

swimshark
July 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I go cheap and buy lycra. And I find them at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for no more than $15 each. Most are $10. I believe I have 6 suits in my stockpile as I buy them when they have them.

I rotate between 3 suits and find that I get a year out of them when they are in 3-4 times a week. Usually they stretch out too much before they are worn out.

Right now I have 2 Nikes and a Speedo that I'm using. The Speedo is well over a year old and the Nikes are about 3 months old.

Celestial
July 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
This seems to happen a lot with Nike suits-any way to prevent this?

Don't think so - it's just rubber degradation

pmccoy
July 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I've had moderate luck with Speedo Endurance. Stitching just doesn't last more that 6-9 months. I've pretty much given up and now use cheap nylon suits with an Arena drag suit over them. The nylon suits are stretched and deteriorated beyond being wearable anywhere other than a locker room. I wear one only in case my drag suit destitches in the wrong location. The drag suit is going on 6 months right now and holding up pretty well.

geochuck
July 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I prefer to train in a racing suit, so what if they fall apart. Although if you wear the size above what you would race in they do last. I have worn my suit for 8 months and it shows no sign of wear. I like the lift in body position from my present suit. My training suit is a size XXXL, I weigh 245 lbs waist size 40 inches.

bjcarter
July 19th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I use speedos square nylon and speedo square mesh suits for workout. For the most part they last me about a year. Maybe 10 years ago though they switched the drawstring material and I find that this often breaks or wears thin long before the suits give out. I wish I could find a spool of the old drawstring material somewhere and I'd be set. My suits would last years in this case...

Herb
July 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
For workouts I wear what I think is this Speedo Surf Runner.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/9041.htm

I suppose that is ridiculous in these elite masters circles, but I love them. The drag is actually fairly low and they are indestructible. I own two pairs and haven't replaced them since I don't remember, at least 3 years maybe 5 or 10 I don't know.

Plus I can wear them around outside of the pool and not feel like a complete idiot. I think this is the kind of suit that will eventually revolutionize the adult fitness swimming world.

For a meet I wear an off the rack $30 jammer. Maybe I would splurge for more if I was convinced it really made a difference, but I'm still trying to take off seconds not tenths.

geochuck
July 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Sorry Herb

If I wore a suit like that, I would feel like a complete idiot. :chug: :chug:

MAC swimmer
July 22nd, 2011, 07:15 AM
I have worn TYR training briefs (sort of a drag suit) for years. Each suit has lasted well over a year (250-275 miles) at least. You cannot kill these suits with an axe!

As you say the stitching is the "first" thing that blows out...usually in the crotch...(sorry for the indecent imagery).

couldbebetterfly
July 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Heres my data over the past year for what its worth swimming in chlorinated pools:

TYR Durafast 73 miles until the straps lost elasticity.
Speedo XTraLife Lycra - not sure on the mileage, but did not last as long as the Durafast.
Speedo Endurance 86 miles and still going.

Slowswim
July 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I wear TYR Endurance square leg. I bought it for training swims but it has been comfortable and durable enough for 3-4 Tri's a year since 2005. The stiching has bleached out but evertything is intact.

geochuck
July 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Slowswim - Can you swim Fast in that suit and change your name to Fastswim:cheerleader:???

SolarEnergy
July 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
How many of you race in these polyester suits. Do you set best times in them? I do use them all the time, ie 100% polyester, they're tight so I make no link betweent he suit and the resulting outcome.

ElaineK
July 28th, 2011, 04:03 PM
This time, I have ordered the "Blue Streak" (second one down):
http://www.swimdownhill.com/id54.html
After hearing so many great things about George Park and his Yingfa suits, I thought I would give one a try. Not only was the price right ($28); it included shipping! And, George replied to my e-mails immediately, when I had questions about sizing. He even offered to send me two suits with a return envelope, so I could return the one that didn't fit. George's customer service can't be beat!

I will keep track of my mileage on this suit and report back when it takes a dump. (Stretching out doesn't count; I only retire a suit when it gets to this point: :afraid:)

Update on the suit: I had ordered the 3XL (:eek:), but George thought it would be too big and suggested the 2XL. The suit arrived, however, I tried it on, and... :afraid:! It looked fine in the front, but the back of the suit was really, really small. Sheeesh, I thought I had a normal sized butt and hips, but the Chinese are TINY! Hey, I'm not exactly over weight either. At 5'71/2" and currently 120 pounds, I'm quite thin.

George was great about sending out the larger size, along with an envelope to return the smaller suit. It just arrived and fits much better! It's still a little small for my taste; the rear of the suit is cut just high enough, but it should work out fine. Otherwise, it's great! I've decided to use it for Nationals and other meets, and use my lycra Speedo for training. So, I won't be able to keep track of the mileage I put on it the way I had planned.

For any of you gals out there considering a Yingfa, keep in mind they run very small. Although I have long legs, my torso is also long at 601/2, putting me into the largest size they sell. :badday:

P.S. I wear a size 6 and a small in women's clothes, so having to order a XXXL is a bit disheartening! :bitching:

aquageek
July 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Isn't mind numbingly irrelevant dribble like this the reason you have a blog?

geochuck
July 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Ahh Geek be nice now or not your choice.

ElaineK
July 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Isn't mind numbingly irrelevant dribble like this the reason you have a blog?

I started this thread. Don't read it.
Isn't your post on this thread irrelevant?

ElaineK
September 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Suit update:
My second Speedo Endurance training suit split in the rear, today, so it has been retired and placed on the hook along with my first suit. Fortunately, I wasn't on a cruise ship this time and I was able to complete my workout without mooning anybody. (Too bad it was Sunday; the noodlers aren't back until tomorrow... :D)

Speedo Endurance Suit #1 mileage = 297.48 miles (according to FLOG)
Speedo Endurance Suit #2 mileage = 303.61 miles (according to FLOG)

Close!

As for my Yingfa, I'm not keeping track, since I am using it strictly for meets. Tomorrow, I'll start wearing my Agon Sport polyester $15 grab bag suit that I picked up at Nationals and see how long it lasts. If I get good mileage out of it, I'll be buying more!

ALM
September 25th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Speedo Endurance Suit #1 mileage = 297.48 miles (according to FLOG)
Speedo Endurance Suit #2 mileage = 303.61 miles (according to FLOG)

Elaine,

About how many months did Suits #1 and #2 last?

Anna Lea

robertsrobson
September 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I bought two pairs of Maru trunks of endurance type material, from the bargain bin at a masters meet, for 1 each. Yes, approx $1.60.

A year later, having worn both for every training session, maybe 150-ish hours, the tie string went on one and more recently the other. If I can get a string I can probably wear them both for at least as long again.

So, taking both into account, I've paid approx 1c per session for training trunks :)

Both, by the way, were hideous. In a good way, of course.

ElaineK
September 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Elaine,

About how many months did Suits #1 and #2 last?

Anna Lea

To me, miles seem more accurate, since there are vacations that skew the timeline, as well as changes in yardage/swim. The first suit lasted 15 months, however, I was swimming much less yardage during that time than I am now. The second suit lasted almost 11 months, however, it lasted more miles.

Anna Lea, how long do they usually last for you? BTW, most of my swimming is done in a saline pool...

ALM
September 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
My experience sounds similar to yours. I'm in the water 3 or 4 times per week, for 1.5 hours each time. If I just wear one suit all the time I seem to get at least a year out of it. The last couple of suits I wore were Speedo Endurance.

Anything is better than the old Lycra suits. They felt great for the first month or so, then they started stretching out, then by the end of three months they were REALLY baggy!

KatieK
September 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Guys are so lucky.

I wear the Tyr triangle two-piece suits. They say Durafast on them, but they're a lycra blend. If I buy them on the small side, I can get about 95 miles (8 weeks) out of them. When they wear out, the bottoms get saggy and the straps start to chafe.

They same applies to the Tyr ring-back two-piece suits, but they have more of a scoop neck. When they start to wear out, it's an emergency to replace them. A worn-out triangle one is just shabby and maybe uncomfortable.

Not the best in terms of value, but the tan lines are quasi-normal, and I hate fighting with a a one-piece suit.

lefty
September 26th, 2011, 06:15 PM
For workouts I wear what I think is this Speedo Surf Runner.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/9041.htm

I suppose that is ridiculous in these elite masters circles, but I love them. The drag is actually fairly low and they are indestructible. I own two pairs and haven't replaced them since I don't remember, at least 3 years maybe 5 or 10 I don't know.

Plus I can wear them around outside of the pool and not feel like a complete idiot. I think this is the kind of suit that will eventually revolutionize the adult fitness swimming world.

For a meet I wear an off the rack $30 jammer. Maybe I would splurge for more if I was convinced it really made a difference, but I'm still trying to take off seconds not tenths.

If you want to take off seconds, start with getting an appropriate swim suit. The drag from your suit is not "fairly low" it is actually "really high." You are taking 2-3 strokes more per lap because of the suit and compensating for this inefficiency is hurting your stroke mechanics. If you swim with any regularity you might even be risking long injury!

I do agree, though, that wearing a banana hammock on the pool deck makes me self-conscience. To me a jammer is a good middle ground.

geochuck
September 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I have been wearing a 82% poly/18% new chlorine resistent lycra suit for a couple of years and found it to be good for me. It is essential that you buy the right size, not too tight but snug.

ElaineK
September 27th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Tomorrow, I'll start wearing my Agon Sport polyester $15 grab bag suit that I picked up at Nationals and see how long it lasts. If I get good mileage out of it, I'll be buying more!

I don't think I will be buying another Agon suit, no matter how long it lasts, unless they change the shoulder straps. I wore the suit, today, for a 3,600 yard workout and ended up with chafing on the shoulders and neck; something I never experienced with the Speed Endurance.

Tip: Use petroleum jelly to prevent chafing. I used it today on my neck and shoulders and the shoulder straps didn't bother me at all. To save money, buy the store brand, rather than Vaseline. Petroleum jelly is the same product, regardless of the brand name on the label

geochuck
September 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Many of the new brand name suits are made with 81% poly/19% chlorine resistant lycra blend or 82% poly/18% chlorine resistant lycra.

Improvements in swimming suit technology have produced polyester, the more durable form of nylon, and the new chlorine resistant lycra (spandex).

Training suits should be comfortable to allow easy movements with good coverage and support.

When selecting a size for competition, it should be snug, but not so tight it puts strain on the shoulders, pinch the body or ride up in the back.

In spite of the advance in fibre technology, chlorine will in time break down the fabric. When it starts to "bag" or stretch out - it is time to replace your racing suit, and use the old one for training.

When trying on these new suits, it is advisable to cover the feet with a plastic bag to insure there will be not damage from toenails etc.

ElaineK
September 28th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Geo', I wore my Yingfa, again, in last weekend's pentathlon. It is quite comfortable and I really like it! I still laugh, though, that at 5'71/2" and 121 pounds, I had to buy a XXXL. Those Chinese gals sure are tiny!

geochuck
September 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Geo', I wore my Yingfa, again, in last weekend's pentathlon. It is quite comfortable and I really like it! I still laugh, though, that at 5'71/2" and 121 pounds, I had to buy a XXXL. Those Chinese gals sure are tiny!
A young lady I know wears the same bathing suit in a XXXL, she is 5'7" tall and weighs 190lbs. That suit is very forgiving.

shannalee80
September 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I just ordered some new suits from Speedo today - I consider needing a new suit a reward for all the swimming I have been doing - especially when that suit gets too big for me to wear! :D

jethro
September 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I wear Agon speedline suits. The one I have now I bought at the end of March. Since then I've done approximately 220 miles. The suit is now beginning to show signs of wearing out, but it should still be good for a while.

I like Agon suits, except whenever I put mine on I have to be careful or the drawstring gets pulled inside the waistband, and I have to fish it out with something. I don't have that problem very often with other brands.

aquajock
October 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I don't know if this is just a dry climate issue, but I had a TYR and Nike suit (the thin-strapped, open back) suits that basically held up fine except the straps suddenly became stiff and brittle and hard to untangle. Most of my suits become too stretched out to push off walls without a moon after just a few months.