PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Swim Buddies near Myrtle Beach

KatieK
July 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hi All,
I'm going to be visiting Myrtle Beach this summer, and I'd like to find some open water swim buddies. I'd be willing to drive an hour or two.

So far, I'm not having much luck. I've been told that the lifeguards at Myrtle beach won't let you go out past waist-deep or chest-deep water. The only suggestion I've found so far was to swim in places where there are no lifeguards. That's fine, but I wouldn't want to do it alone.

Seems like a shame to train at the pool while I'm vacationing at the beach...
Thanks,
Katie

aquageek
July 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I know in the past there have been some swimmers in Wilmington who do early morning open water swims. That is a long drive from MB, however. I'd check with the Wilmington/Wrigthsville Beach area Ys to see what you can dig up.

Personally, swimming off the beaches in and around MB would not be appealing.

Grand Strand Masters Swimming in N. Myrtle Beach is a very active team. I'd swim with them before trekking up to Wilmington. They might know of local OW swim aslso. Their link. (http://www.grandstrandmastersswimming.com/)

I've also sent an email to a swim pal on that team and will post her response.

KatieK
July 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I know in the past there have been some swimmers in Wilmington who do early morning open water swims. That is a long drive from MB, however. I'd check with the Wilmington/Wrigthsville Beach area Ys to see what you can dig up.

Personally, swimming off the beaches in and around MB would not be appealing.

Grand Strand Masters Swimming in N. Myrtle Beach is a very active team. I'd swim with them before trekking up to Wilmington. They might know of local OW swim aslso. Their link. (http://www.grandstrandmastersswimming.com/)

I've also sent an email to a swim pal on that team and will post her response.
Thanks for the help. Why wouldn't you find swimming off the beaches in that area appealing?

I called a triathlon shop to ask about OWS, and the guy told me, "Uh, yeah. You're giving South Carolina too much credit." LOL! Who would have thought open water swimming would be easier in the middle of the desert.

aquageek
July 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
There are many reasons why I would not swim off the NC beaches solo.

Rip tides, strong currents, zero visibility, boating, fishing, shrimping, 88 degree water temps - just to name a few.

Herb
July 19th, 2011, 11:32 PM
hmmm, I've never had any problem swimming at Myrtle Beach other than the cold temps because I go in April. But I just swim along the shore.

sjstuart
July 27th, 2011, 10:04 PM
When are/were you in Myrtle Beach? I'm vacationing there for the next five days and just found this thread while looking for somewhere to swim. I'm planning on doing a few early-morning ocean swims and would be happy to do them with a swim buddy.

KatieK
July 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Sorry, we're missing each other by a couple of weeks. Let me know if you're able to get in some ocean swims. The most promising suggestion I've found so far was to ask the lifeguards if you can swim with them on their practice swims.