PDA

View Full Version : Jim thornton wins?!?

That Guy
July 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
http://swimnews.com/News/view/8768

swim suit makers have secretly won their fight to persuade FINA to put men back in body tops on the grounds of equality, according to sources in the sport. The issue would have to go before Congress in 2013 for any rule changes to be agreed

According to my Signs Of The Apocalypse quick reference card, it is time once again to move to Canada :canada::canada::canada:

That Guy
July 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I typed the thread title in all caps but the forum system doesn't like all caps...:badday:

Allen Stark
July 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM

According to my Signs Of The Apocalypse quick reference card, it is time once again to move to Canada :canada::canada::canada:

Say it isn't so Joe.
If so,it is about the money,nothing else.

pwb
July 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
From the same article comes this bit of sexism
One reason not to do it* : the male swimmer's body is among the things that makes the sport attractive. ... as I imagine there'd be a large percentage of men who'd be in favor of women in jammers for the same reason ;)

* it=go back to full torso coverage for men

Jazz Hands
July 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
They have to allow lower leg coverage, right? Otherwise our sport is going to look really stupid. They have to...

Chris Stevenson
July 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I typed the thread title in all caps but the forum system doesn't like all caps...:badday:

When I saw the title, I thought for sure the thread was about Johnny Weissmuller!

SolarEnergy
July 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
According to my Signs Of The Apocalypse quick reference card, it is time once again to move to Canada :canada::canada::canada: Warm welcome!

We're an open minded society, perfectly comfortable with the idea of men wearing female lingerie, apparel and stuff. :cheerleader: :agree:

That Guy
July 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Warm welcome!

We're an open minded society, perfectly comfortable with the idea of men wearing female lingerie, apparel and stuff. :cheerleader: :agree:

I need a new quick reference card!

That Guy
July 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that!

knelson
July 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM
They have to allow lower leg coverage, right? Otherwise our sport is going to look really stupid. They have to...

Basically we'll be wearing wrestling singlets.

Fenella
July 20th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Shame !!! I rather enjoyed the chance to ogle again (oops - I meant critique physique )

It is an essential part of my personal swim journey ............

smontanaro
July 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I typed the thread title in all caps but the forum system doesn't like all caps.

You might be promoting something. :)

jim clemmons
July 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Warm welcome!

Yes, TG, it sounds as though even more than just on Saturday nights,I guess.

__steve__
July 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Nipples should be covered, period.

Allen Stark
July 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
The guys all shave their chests,why not sell the space for decals of sponsors(or tattoos for more money.)Make swimming like NASCAR.

pmccoy
July 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
The guys all shave their chests,why not sell the space for decals of sponsors(or tattoos for more money.)Make swimming like NASCAR.
You mean allow contact or just the advertising? Will all open turns need to be made to the left? Will we get a special lane to stop and change swim suits if our current one blows out?

jim clemmons
July 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM

Chests really only work for backstrokers - visibility to the crowds. We'd have to put them on the backsides of the other strokers. :mooning:

jim thornton
July 21st, 2011, 11:14 PM
You mean allow contact or just the advertising? Will all open turns need to be made to the left? Will we get a special lane to stop and change swim suits if our current one blows out?

First of all, let me just say I am honored, truly honored!, to have a thread named after me. One that I did not start myself, that is.

Second of all, I must say this past year has rendered me just a wee bit ambivalent about what I hoped for last year, i.e., equal coverage for men and women.

Though my own times are slower, it seems that some of my nemeses have been hurt more than me by the yanking of the body suit. I am not sure I want them to regain their erstwhile relative advantage.

On the other hand, the dense mat of chestal hairs, which will soon need to be shorn for the Cleveland LCM meet, promises to drive me mad with itching this hot and humid summer.

So if they bring the full coverage back, I will be happy.

If they don't, I will be happy.

But either way, readers of my vlog will know that the suggestion of advertising space on suits was exhaustively dealt with a recent brilliant series of vlogs that did not yet get the millions of Internet hits they deserved, but I will reproduce one of my favorite of the Jimmyz Jammerz line for those who missed it:

http://forums.usms.org/picture.php?albumid=278&pictureid=1867

jim thornton
July 21st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I just did a bit of internet searching and found an AP story that our good friend, Leslie the Fortress Livingston, might need to limber up her lawyer's mind to refute.

This from the prestigious AP:

The feeling from many swimmers and coaches is that there may only be a select few records in Shanghai, and quite possibly none at all in the men's events.

That's because men have been penalized more under the new rules, with their suits limited to jammers covering the waists down to the knees, while women's suits stretch from the shoulders to the knees.

(Emphasis mine.)

Peter Cruise
July 21st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Poor Jim. He now stops total strangers on the street and demands their sympathy for his quest to don womens' clothing for aquatic competition...the horror...

jim thornton
July 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Poor Jim. He now stops total strangers on the street and demands their sympathy for his quest to don womens' clothing for aquatic competition...the horror...

Finally! I am getting some of the sympathy I have for so long deserved!

Thanks to our Canadian friend for this! You of the sound dollar and the sounder approach to healthcare!

You understand we humans are more than just the killer semi-naked apes that abound in these lower, stickier climes!

As always, high pressure, cold air, and the threat of burying snowfalls concentrate the mind of our northland highlanders, showing us what it truly means to be human.

I treasure your sympathy, dear Mr. Cruise! Treasure it!

Poor Jim has become just a wee bit richer in spirit for your acknowledgment of my poorness!

Peter Cruise
July 22nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Ah, but Jim, I hesitate to throw my full bucket of pity upon you pending the outcome of the current debt default crisis. You may have planeloads of bond-holding Chinese overlords landing to take possession of the collateral securing those loans...

jim thornton
July 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ah, but Jim, I hesitate to throw my full bucket of pity upon you pending the outcome of the current debt default crisis. You may have planeloads of bond-holding Chinese overlords landing to take possession of the collateral securing those loans...

Collateral? Hahahaha! What collateral? Anything they want to take is underwater!

Remember when the Japanese bought Pebble Beach...then had to sell it back to us at a considerable loss?

Perhaps we could offer them naming rights...

The People's Republic of China Grand Canyon & Financial Sinkhole?

The Celestial Empire State Building? (Please, do not drop Yuans from the observation deck, these have been known to penetrate the skulls of pedestrians below!)

The Sinopec Viet Nam Memorial Wall? (Pay your respects and gas up with full leaded!)

I need to learn Chinese. Does anyone know how to say Chop Chop in Mandarin?