PDA

View Full Version : What to do in the off-season

Luca
July 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM
To those who swim on a team and are left in despair when the season is over, do you still swim on your own during the off-season? If yes, what kind of sets do you swim?

Or do you just do nothing for one and a half months? How does this affect one's swimming performance?

Glenn
July 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
No off-season here. We train 12 months a year. Some take a break for a week or so between SCY and LCM season or a week or two between the end of the LCM season and SCM season.

Unlike many Europeans, we do not take the month of August off....we are all in too much of a rush to do that.

That Guy
July 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
no time to rest my next taper starts in 321 days

swimon90
July 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM
I usually take one week off and then get back to it. I with a week of just stroke work and then increase the yardage and its back to normal :). I do have 2-3 weeks in the year that I take off for vacation so I guess that makes up for my lack of break. I love it too much to take a break too long and the one week really lets me rest and refocus.

Jeanne
July 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM
Lay down the endurance base one day and drill work alternate days. Let my shoulder heal without sprint work. Taekwondo at night. Miss the comraderie of the group and count the days down until September.

Chris Stevenson
July 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Or do you just do nothing for one and a half months? How does this affect one's swimming performance?

If I do no swimming for 6 weeks, it will take me about that long to get back to where I was previously.

Our masters team will take something like 3 weeks off at the end of summer (we only have one coach, he needs a break). I will lift and bike during that time and maybe get in the pool a few times a week.

If your team is off for 6 weeks or so, you can stay in pretty reasonable shape by cross-training and just getting wet 2-3 times a week; easy swimming is enough. Do more if you want to; I agree with a previous poster, long endurance work might be good.

swimshark
July 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
We take off from the beginning of Aug until school starts (Sept 11th or so). We don't swim during that time but instead do about an hour of dryland every day (jump rope, running, jumps, etc). For the first time in a few years, I have a meet mid-Aug so I'll be heading to my neighborhood pool to get in a small workout as often as I can.

mrubacky
July 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I moved into "off-season" after spring nationals. I've cut back to 3-4 days a week, limited wieght training, and added some cross-training (running, cycling). I've lost some of my endurance over this time, but I'm looking to use Aug to start ramping back up for SCM in the fall.

knelson
July 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Unlike many Europeans, we do not take the month of August off....we are all in too much of a rush to do that.

Personally, I'm very much willing to give the Euro plan a try.

About a week out of the pool is the most I ever take. I agree with Chris, it just takes too long to get back if you're out for an extended period. That doesn't mean there aren't times where I go into maintenance mode. Usually this is after a taper meet. I'll take a few days off and then swim for an hour or so 2-3 times per week.

The team I'm currently swimming with takes August off, however I've got an open water swim in September, so I'll need to train on my own. That means when I'm ready for a break the team will be back in the water going hot and heavy. There goes my off season, I guess!

aztimm
July 22nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
What is this, "off season," you speak of?

Unless I'm sick, injured, or on vacation, I workout. Sure it can and does vary based on meets, how I'm feeling, or other events. Since I began swimming with masters teams in 1997, the longest I took off was a month once, and that was due to a sprained ankle.

ElaineK
July 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
What is this, "off season," you speak of?

Unless I'm sick, injured, or on vacation, I workout.

Same here, except for the "vacation" part. I'm bringing my suit, cap and goggles with me on my European river cruise, after Nationals. If I can't get to a pool during free time at our stops, I plan on watching the scenery go by out on the upper deck, while using my stretch cords, doing shoulder stability exercises and push ups. Otherwise, there is a small gym on board, so there is always the treadmill and bike I can use.

I miss that endorphin rush when I miss workouts, and always feel so much better afterwards, so I'll take a workout over :coffee: any day! :D

aztimm
July 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
I usually workout while on vacation too, but not quite as often and usually not with the same intensity. On a 2-week vacation in London, I'll usually get in about 4 team swims (-v-) 10+ in that normal period.
If you'll be anywhere near Munich, I highly recommend swimming in the Olympic pool there.
If you take a look at my blog, you'll see my breaks are few.

Same here, except for the "vacation" part. I'm bringing my suit, cap and goggles with me on my European river cruise, after Nationals. If I can't get to a pool during free time at our stops, I plan on watching the scenery go by out on the upper deck, while using my stretch cords, doing shoulder stability exercises and push ups. Otherwise, there is a small gym on board, so there is always the treadmill and bike I can use.

I miss that endorphin rush when I miss workouts, and always feel so much better afterwards, so I'll take a workout over :coffee: any day! :D

Lump
July 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
There are only off-DAYS, no off-SEASON! :agree:

Chris Stevenson
July 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
There are only off-DAYS, no off-SEASON! :agree:

Love the avatar.

ElaineK
July 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ummm, yeah; interesting avatar! :lmao:

Lump
July 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
thanks, but NOT me! :afraid:

tjrpatt
July 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
There is no "off season" in Masters Swimming.

Luca
July 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I don't like this off-season thing either, I tried to swim on my own this week but I've found swimming alone to be terrible. I already knew that anyway. I have never understood how people here can workout alone, tight intervals and all.

This year I have already missed the whole month of February due to laser eye surgery. When I got back in the pool I struggled on the first day only, on the following days I was already performing as usual. Maybe I'm not impacted so badly by a prolonged off period?

marksman
July 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM
My pool is closed this weekend for a swim meet. And I missed friday due to work which makes a terrible situation even worse.

3 days without swimming feels awful, I need my endorphin fix. I can't imagine an off-season. Don't stop swimming, stay in shape.

dsyphers
July 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm in my mid-fifties, and re-started my masters swimming three years ago. The biggest mistake I made in those three years was taking two months off from swimming. It took me three to four months to get back where I was. Now if I'm feeling like I need to dial back my swimming for a short period I go to a set of "maintain" workouts. I agree with some of the others, there is no off-season in Masters.

swimshark
July 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'm in my mid-fifties, and re-started my masters swimming three years ago. The biggest mistake I made in those three years was taking two months off from swimming. It took me three to four months to get back where I was. Now if I'm feeling like I need to dial back my swimming for a short period I go to a set of "maintain" workouts. I agree with some of the others, there is no off-season in Masters.

I can relate. I had to take 3 weeks off due to a sprained ankle and it too me about 5 weeks to feel like I was back to the pre-ankle break times. Normally it doesn't take that long. Guess I'm getting old.