PDA

View Full Version : Open water training with injury?

hawkssb04
July 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
I've been training for an open water swim that is now about three weeks away. It's a 5k swim and I had been training in a lap pool. I finally reached the 5k mark and was feeling ready for the event until I started having pain in my left shoulder. I saw a doctor and he said it is rotator cuff tendonitis. The pain isn't bad, but I've been forced to cut my training down to about 1-2 miles per swim before the pain gets bad (twice a week). I don't think I'm going to be ready at this pace and to be honest, I don't know if my shoulder will hold up at the 5k unless I take a week or two off with no swimming.

Does anybody have some advice as to how I can train and keep my cardio up if I were to stay out of the pool for a week or two so I can let my shoulder heal up? I feel I probably can pull off the 5k swim on a healthy shoulder if I still somehow keep my cardio at a level that will translate well to swimming. I'm running short on time and I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice from some of you crafty veterans?:bed:

E=H2O
July 21st, 2011, 11:07 PM
I have a "challenged" shoulder. I use cycling for conditioning. I mix riding hard for a set time for some workouts with hard interval work for others.

Bryan
July 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I was diagnosed with the exact same thing, but I told the Dr. that it was open water season so the one thing I wouldn't do is stop swimming. He sent me to a physical therapist and put me on an anti-inflammatory (Lodine). Ice was (and is) crucial. I still have pain, but it seems to loosen up after swimming a thousand or so yards. Don't know if that helps or not, but that's what I do.

jkormanik
July 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Matthew - as a triathlete who is trying to turn into a "purer" swimmer, Bob's suggestion of cycling to keep your cardio and endurance is spot on. If you don't have a bike, get on a stationary one at your club or, better yet, do a spinning class. They can be as difficult as you want to make them.

By the way, is the 5k swim you're talking about Deer Creek? I'm thinking of signing up for that.

E=H2O
July 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Deer Creek is a terrific race. Highly recommended.

jkormanik
July 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Bob - I'm all signed up and camping spot is reserved!

hawkssb04
July 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Right on. My camping spot is reserved, too. I'll be at the Great Horned Owl camp. Perhaps I'll see you there. Thanks for the advice everyone. I haven't hopped on a bike yet, but I've increased my running a great deal and I've been icing the heck out of it (twice a day). The pain hasn't been bad lately and I've been able to swim two miles in the pool with little or no pain, so hopefully I'll be ready for 3+. Oddly, the pain seems to be worst when I'm resting at home, not when I'm swimming lately.

jkormanik
July 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
See you there, Matt. I'm at the other campground "Chokecherry." I think I got the last site! We'll be arriving Friday afternoon; departing Saturday after the race (which could be a while...I'm not fast!).

hawkssb04
July 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
See you there, Matt. I'm at the other campground "Chokecherry." I think I got the last site! We'll be arriving Friday afternoon; departing Saturday after the race (which could be a while...I'm not fast!).

Haha. Tell me about it. I'm a rookie at this. Well, kind of. Anyway, I swam a 2.5 mile open water today on a very similar course to how the Deer Creek 5k will be and my shoulder gave me significant pain during the last half mile. Makes me pretty nervous.

jkormanik
July 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Matt - any chance of some sort of injection for your shoulder? Also, remember, you are doing this race for fun (right?). Don't set yourself back by injuring your shoulder further!

hawkssb04
August 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Matt - any chance of some sort of injection for your shoulder? Also, remember, you are doing this race for fun (right?). Don't set yourself back by injuring your shoulder further!
Hey John. Great swim yesterday. What are the odds that you and I would be swimming neck-and-neck right into the finish? Perhaps we will meet again at Slam the Dam. Shoulder is feeling much better and hopefuly I can motivate myself to increase my stamina for the 8k.

jkormanik
August 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Matt - excellent swim by you. I was motivated but unable to get you at the end. Well done!