PDA

View Full Version : Fat Salmon 2011

Thrashing Slug
July 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Who else is doing the Fat Salmon tomorrow? I will be doing the 3 mile wetsuit division. The weather looks good, the lake looks clean. I think it's going to be a good one.

hawkssb04
July 22nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
I was in Kirkland a month ago and wish I would have scheduled my visit around the Fat Salmon swim. I would have loved to participate in the event.

knelson
July 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Perfect day for a race! Beautiful sunny day. Temps probably in the low 60s at race time. The water was a little choppier than I would have thought, but not bad. The cold water made competitors choose the wetsuit division by about a 3:1 ratio. I toughed it out and went without. Honestly, the water was cold, but it wasn't that bad. I did wear a neoprene cap and that probably helped somewhat.

Nice to see you there, Chris.

Thrashing Slug
July 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Perfect day for a race! Beautiful sunny day. Temps probably in the low 60s at race time. The water was a little choppier than I would have thought, but not bad. The cold water made competitors choose the wetsuit division by about a 3:1 ratio. I toughed it out and went without. Honestly, the water was cold, but it wasn't that bad. I did wear a neoprene cap and that probably helped somewhat.

Nice to see you there, Chris.

You too, Kirk. Did you win the non-wetsuit division?

I thought the water felt pretty warm. Of course I had a sleeveless wetsuit and a neoprene cap on. For me the biggest factor was the chop, which made it hard to swim straight. I think I swam quite a bit of extra distance due to all the weaving back and forth.

Overall it was a fun race, and very well organized. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. 3 miles is one mile more than I've ever done, and the waves forced me to use a different type of stroke that tired my shoulders and neck out in unaccustomed ways.

knelson
July 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, I won the non-wetsuit division.

Hoosier
July 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM
What was the water temp at race time?

knelson
July 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I didn't hear anything official on race day, but the water temperature was 66 degrees at the finishing beach last week.