PDA

View Full Version : Hoping qualifying times drop back a bit

rtodd
July 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Does anyone have an idea if qualifying times for SCN will drop back a bit now that the suits have been gone? I am real close in the 50 and 100 free and this would be good news for me.

That Guy
July 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM
SCN

Short Course Noodlers? :dunno:

ElaineK
July 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Short Course Noodlers? :dunno:

:lmao:

Yeah, I could just see the noodlers in our community trying to squeeze into a kneeskin... :afraid:

jaadams1
July 25th, 2011, 11:02 PM

Yeah, I could just see the noodlers in our community trying to squeeze into a kneeskin... :afraid:

Ewwww.... :afraid::eek:

TRYM_Swimmer
July 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Oh, well, I didn't want to have breakfast anyway!!

Seriously, tried to find a formula or something on this site with no luck. I think it's based on the previous year's Top 10, so if your age group's times went down post-rubber, the quals will probably drop.

Hope to meet you in Greensboro next year!

want2beafish
July 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Seriously, tried to find a formula or something on this site with no luck. I think it's based on the previous year's Top 10, so if your age group's times went down post-rubber, the quals will probably drop.

The formula is a little hard to find, but it's listed at the bottom of the qualifying times tables for SCY, at least. For SCY, it's the three year average of the Top Ten 10th place time + a conversion factor (15% for 50s and 100s, and 10% for 200s+). For LCM, I couldn't immediately find the formula, but I think I remember it being the three year average of the Top Ten 5th place time plus a similar conversion factor. In any event, it takes into account the three year averages. So, the times may be affected somewhat by whatever suits were/are allowed over the past few years, but it won't be a dramatic change from year to year.

Chris Stevenson
July 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have an idea if qualifying times for SCN will drop back a bit now that the suits have been gone? I am real close in the 50 and 100 free and this would be good news for me.

NQTs may get slower due to the way the formula works (see previous poster) but I don't think it is likely that any additional correction factor will be added. This item came up at convention but it was voted to keep the same formula in place for Mesa; see item #5 in the following minutes:

http://www.usms.org/admin/minutes/champ-2010-9-16-1.pdf

Anything is possible, I suppose, but if they didn't change it for Mesa I am not sure why they would change it for Greensboro or other future spring nationals.

aquageek
July 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM
As more people join USMS and meets get even more competitive, I'd hope we'd see NQTs get faster, not slower.

rtodd
July 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Part of me likes to see times get faster as well, but I could use just a bit of help.

ElaineK
July 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Oh, well, I didn't want to have breakfast anyway!!

Hope to meet you in Greensboro next year!

I'll be there and look forward to meeting another frog! :D

unfortunate400imer
July 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I would agree with Aquageek. Time standards should be staying the same or getting faster. Masters is growing every year, so that means the swimming should get faster every year, and not necessarily the national meet (that meet is already long enough!!).

Jazz Hands
July 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
As more people join USMS and meets get even more competitive, I'd hope we'd see NQTs get faster, not slower.

Yep. Anyone can swim three events at nationals. If you want to be greedy about it, you should be fast.

thewookiee
July 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Yep. Anyone can swim three events at nationals. If you want to be greedy about it, you should be fast.

How is wanting to see nationals become a faster meet a thing of greed?

qbrain
July 27th, 2011, 10:04 AM
How is wanting to see nationals become a faster meet a thing of greed?

Jazz to English translation: Everyone can swim 3 events at Nationals, if you want to swim more, you should make the NQTs.

thewookiee
July 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Jazz to English translation: Everyone can swim 3 events at Nationals, if you want to swim more, you should make the NQTs.

Q, thanks for translating Jazzy Jazz speak. Your way doesn't sound so offensive.