PDA

View Full Version : Front Crawl questions

raid
July 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
Back into swimming. Feeling great. Problem is my front crawl.
The problem is that every time I turn my head to breathe, I get water in my mouth.

I have experimented with moving more of my body to breathe and have been reading this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_crawl

Any suggestions?

ElaineK
July 31st, 2011, 01:10 PM
Is there somebody who can shoot a video of you swimming, so you can post it on this thread? There are several forumites who are terrific at analyzing swim videos and giving excellent critique on your stroke. That would probably be the best way to determine why you are having the problem you described.

SolarEnergy
August 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Back into swimming. Feeling great. Problem is my front crawl.
The problem is that every time I turn my head to breathe, I get water in my mouth.

I have experimented with moving more of my body to breathe and have been reading this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_crawl

Any suggestions? Well that's nothing a few front crawl drill won't fix. Side kicking could be the first one on the list, youtube "Free Style drill Side Kicking".

raid
August 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Is there somebody who can shoot a video of you swimming, so you can post it on this thread? There are several forumites who are terrific at analyzing swim videos and giving excellent critique on your stroke. That would probably be the best way to determine why you are having the problem you described.

Not going to happen. But a good idea.

coachkopie
August 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
some thoughts:

A) we seek to inhale but it is really about the exhale

B) exhale into the water - feel and hear the bubbles - exhale from the nose and mouth

C) exhale to inhale - one flows into the other

D) if you can let yourself, do not try to close your mouth (not tightly anyway) and do not squeeze your lips. water in and around the mouth is fine. it is getting it into the back of the throat that is unpleasant. squeezing your lips usually causes and inhale from the nose at an inopportune time.

E) hold your air in your upper torso - not in your mouth. hold it with pressure going out but not yet exhaling. this will ready air to flow out and keep water from coming in.

F) play with taking a healthy inhale on land. hold your air briefly with your jaw relaxed and mouth relaxed. then let it go - really, let it go. that is exhaling. and see how you naturally inhale off of the exhale.

see if this helps.

G) oh - play with simple up and down rhythmic bobbing to feel the in water exhale to inhale. exchange air at any rate you wish but the actual amount of time exhaling and inhaling should be fairly consistent no matter the rate of air exchange. whether you breathe every stroke cycle or every so many cycles, the actual amount of time you exhale and inhale is pretty much the same on each.

have a great day.

coach allan k