PDA

View Full Version : Swimming unattached

gaash2
August 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Is it possible to swim in a USMS meet without a team? I want to experiment with some training styles that are highly unlikely to be able to be accomidated by joining a team.

jim clemmons
August 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Is it possible to swim in a USMS meet without a team? I want to experiment with some training styles that are highly unlikely to be able to be accomidated by joining a team.

Absolutely. Just indicate "unattached" during the registration process although it's likely you could register with a local team, train on your own and join them for relays or an occasional workout, too.

couldbebetterfly
August 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Yes - do as Jim suggests. I'm swimming unattached this year as I train on my own and wasn't sure about signing up with a local team. Now I've met a few people and know where on the spectrum my abilities lie, I'll probably register with our local team for next year.

Allen Stark
August 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I swim pretty much on my own,but am a team member.Most teams are glad to have an extra swimmer for relays so it is easy to join with no hassle.If there is a hassle to join a team,find another one.Swimming unattached is fine too if you prefer.

pwb
August 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'm newly unattached ... but contemplating starting a virtual team for all of us solo swimmers. Anyone interested in joining such an entity?

JimRude
August 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'm newly unattached ... but contemplating starting a virtual team for all of us solo swimmers. Anyone interested in joining such an entity?

Yep.

jim clemmons
August 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM

Pacific has a virtual team...goes by the name of Loch Ness Masters. Been around for about 5 or 6 years, I think. Kinda hard to tell 'cause you rarely see them.

Just kidding, they actually do compete on a fairly regular basis.

aquageek
August 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM

Is this some Paul Smith ploy for a record attempt in Greensboro?

pwb
August 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Is this some Paul Smith ploy for a record attempt in Greensboro?No ... I'm just team-less now, plus I need to create a team that my sisters, dad and I can all join so we can swim relays together. Yes, we'll hopefully do that in Greensboro, but, no, we will not set any records. I figured, then, that if I create a team, I may as well get other team-less, nomadic swimmers like myself to join into.

JimRude
August 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Is this some Paul Smith ploy for a record attempt in Greensboro?

You don't really think I would knowingly join a Pablo group?!

Muppet
August 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Here's some food for thought:
Many teams have members who never swim a single practice with the formal team. Mine is one such team - we have about 80 members, and of the ~30 or so of us who do meets, we have at least 10 who train elsewhere. They swim with us for a variety of reasons: they used to be able to practice with us; friendship; relay opportunities; friendly people to sit with at meets.

Just because you can't work out with a team doesn't mean you can't swim with them. :)

Water Rat
August 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Definitely. I don't want to out anyone but I have a few ideas of others who would too.

2trax4me
August 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Unattached right now and not planning on joining a local team. Just waiting for short course season to get underway, missed some training and long course season.

fmracing
August 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
contemplating starting a virtual team for all of us solo swimmers.

I've long considered starting the fat man racing team, just so I can have FMR next to my name instead of UNAT. :angel:

To the OP, I've had no problems with unattached swimming. Sometimes theres less politics involved depending how the local teams are. Only downside is you have to do all the entry paperwork yourself.

The Fortress
August 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Yep.

+3

Better recruit some women for mixed relays, pwb!

But Muppet is right too. Though I rarely train with my team, I've been a member for 6 years and enjoy seeing my teammates at meets.

orca1946
August 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Sure - unattached is ok. If you like a team or have friends on a team you might want to do relays with them.