PDA

View Full Version : Critique my 50 Fly, please

Charge
August 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
‪VID00003.MP4‬‏ - YouTube

I liked the time, but the more I look at this the more I don't like what I see. A few things I noticed.

I felt like I had a great reaction time, but by the time I break the surface the guy two lanes over has already taken a stroke and is a yard ahead. I kni it's hard to tell without seeing the underwater, but did I go too deep/stay under too long?

Obviously did not go down the center of the lane, that's a problem.

Looking at my stroke the way back it looks to me like I am taking my arms out of the water too far, driving my head down and creating a "V" Am I seeing that right? If that's the case, what drills can I do to fix that in practice.

Anything else?

gdanner
August 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
I felt like I had a great reaction time, but by the time I break the surface the guy two lanes over has already taken a stroke and is a yard ahead. I kni it's hard to tell without seeing the underwater, but did I go too deep/stay under too long?

Anything else?

I don't think you stayed under too long. What was that, 3 or 4 SDK's?

One suggestion: it doesn't appear as though your hands are coming together underneath your body. Your thumbs should nearly touch each other. Watch this underwater vid of Phelps' fly:

‪michael phelps butterfly underwater 2‬‏ - YouTube

From my experience, this is a common problem. Since it's underwater and under the body, coaches don't always see it or even know to correct it. I can't tell where your hands go clearly, so they might be fine...but based on the video, the path your hands take don't appear to be coming together.

fmracing
August 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Would it be possible to not slap the water so hard? Srsly, you got me all wet there.

Heh. j/k to a point. Aside from what you pointed out already... it does look pretty good already. A tiny bit less stroke rate, you might get more distance out of your pull without sacrificing speed. This may also allow you to place the hands into the water a little more, rather than slapping the whole straight arm into the water creating a boatload of turbulence that you can't "grip" as well. There may be a little wheelspin in that stroke when you pound it out that fast.

Just my thoughts on it anyways. :)

What was the time in that swim? 24.xx ?

Charge
August 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
I know, I am killing the water, had the same problem in the 50 and took a little off on a relay and went .2 faster, so maybe I need to try that for the Fly.

I went 24.33

I did 4 SDK's, If I'm not going too deep then i need to work on that b/c I'm coming up and am already behind by a yard, but not losing much at all after that.

I never even thought about where the hands were at that point, I will have to work on that, thanks!

fmracing
August 2nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I know, I am killing the water, had the same problem in the 50 and took a little off on a relay and went .2 faster, so maybe I need to try that for the Fly.

I went 24.33

I did 4 SDK's, If I'm not going too deep then i need to work on that b/c I'm coming up and am already behind by a yard, but not losing much at all after that.

I never even thought about where the hands were at that point, I will have to work on that, thanks!

One other thing, there is a substantial amount of water being kicked up by your feet. If possible bring the feet down in the water just a tad more. You may be wasting a tiny bit of propulsion with your feet running that high out of the water to make that kind of splash. I always try to think "heels out" as far as how much of the foot to bring out of the water.

quicksilver
August 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
As other pointed out, the rapid fire turn over is just a little too splashy on the entry. If there were a way to smooth it out slightly you'll encounter less resistance. By working on decreasing a stroke (or two) per lap it should make a difference. Sometimes pulling back right away diminishes the opportunity to stay long. Distance per stroke combined with a great turnover (which you've got) is the way to go.

And yes the kick might be better served if it were held under a tad. All that energy is throwing water up into the air and not below the surface. Ian Crocker's turn over was very fast but he stays quite long. And the kick is strong but hardly makes a big splash. ‪Ian Crocker style‬‏ - YouTube

The start by the way was perfect. :23 low next year!

Charge
August 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
I'll admit I've never even thought about my kick other than the rythmn, I'll have to work on that!

Thanks!

Aqua357
August 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
A few things.

You should be taking at least 8 dolphin kicks after off the start. The other guy is using a hook style entry with more bend in his elbows. Though his turnover rate isn't as high as yours he's getting more reach and a softer entry. Why people use side arm in a sprint race I'll never know as hook style is better IMO.

Watch the video and check out how his arms come more over the top instead of by his sides and how his hands enter the water compared to yours. Fact is, he's getting more out of each stroke than you.